Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Problem description: I was working on a Server with a RAID 6 array (Dell Prec 6i card, Megaraid storage manager), while doing this the power connector became dislodged from one of the back-planes. It was not dislodged enough for me to notice, at the time but upon restart I saw the RAID array was listed as failed, and three drives were not detected. I shutdown the computer, inserted the connector fully, that fixed the power issue, and added the drives back to the array. The drives showed up as bad/unconfigured. I added them back into the array, the RAID manager reports the array as being fine, all my files show up, but I cannot access them. If I try to I will get an error that the file is missing, or that I do not have access to that file when I click on it. *no drives ever actually failed*

Attempted fixes: I have attempted running a patrol read which ran with no errors, but I still cannot access any files. I am running a consistency check, but for some reason it does not show up as an active task. The only way i can see this operation is still running is when I click on the drop down menu I would use to initiate a consistency check, instead of there being an option to initiate the check, the only option I see is to stop the consistency check. I am not sure how long it will take, the patrol read took about 2 days.

Recent changes: knocking the power adapter to the one half of the back-plane loose, and without realizing it starting my system afterwards

--

Operating system: Server 2012 R2 with a WHS 2011 VM running in hyper V

System specs:
Supermicro X8DAH
Dual Xeon
96gb of RAM
1 RAID 1 running Server 2012 R2 with a whs 2011 server VM (This array runs off of the motherboard and was not affected)
1 RAID 6 array for data storage (damaged from power loss Perc 6i)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, but I am clearly using the wrong search string, and only finding info for a failed arrays

*Update* I fixed the issue with the progress of the consistency check, and both the patrol read and consistency completed without errors, but the data on the drive is still corrupted, and partially unreadable.

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread