Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm at the sand course now and this game continues to own. I love it...it's the perfect thing to sink my teeth into before Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How the gently caress are you supposed to use the long driver to hit 300+ yards? I'm catching the marker at the absolute leftmost of the first four bars, catching it at the rightmost of the fifth bar, then sinking it in the middle of the purple bit. How do I use this thing?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Pollyanna posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to use the long driver to hit 300+ yards? I'm catching the marker at the absolute leftmost of the first four bars, catching it at the rightmost of the fifth bar, then sinking it in the middle of the purple bit. How do I use this thing?

Nail every orange-highlighted bar while it fills, then mash A like crazy for the large orange bar while it sinks, then nail the center of the purple strike zone.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I am broken and can’t for the life of me get the hang of the golf game. I feel like I’m constantly winging it and sometimes it works and most of the time I fail spectacularly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nail every orange-highlighted bar while it fills, then mash A like crazy for the large orange bar while it sinks, then nail the center of the purple strike zone.

Are you ever able to use this again after this event? I wasn't able to or didn't know how. Not that I needed it, really.

Pug Rodeo posted:

I am broken and can’t for the life of me get the hang of the golf game. I feel like I’m constantly winging it and sometimes it works and most of the time I fail spectacularly.

Galf? :v:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Larrymer posted:

Are you ever able to use this again after this event? I wasn't able to or didn't know how. Not that I needed it, really.

Nah, the long driver was originally conceived of something that you'd actually bring onto a real course, but it was cut as the dev realized it was tiresome to use.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nah, the long driver was originally conceived of something that you'd actually bring onto a real course, but it was cut as the dev realized it was tiresome to use.

So there isn't more than 1 long drive event in the game? Kind of a shame really. I would welcome one or two more, but with more wind and shot adjustment stuff.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Eifert Posting posted:

So why is the game good? I keep hearing everyone loves it but have a hard time seeing the appeal. When y'all say it's a 16bit rpg are you referring to character progression or what?
16-bit is if anything more a reference to the art style. But yes it's JRPG-ish, kind of like Earthbound in that it's pretty quirky. The writing is really charming too, I love the little gimmicks they did with how they display text.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Afro posted:

So there isn't more than 1 long drive event in the game? Kind of a shame really. I would welcome one or two more, but with more wind and shot adjustment stuff.

I think, above all else, that's my main complaint about the game: it has a lot of one-off story events that you can't repeat after you beat them once. I'd like to be able to do rematches of the match play events and tournaments with tougher opponents. Once you beat the story, though, all you have left is challenging yourself to beat your previous scores in stroke play.

Or does the Quick Play feature let you play against the CPU?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Even this dumb game broke my save I'm going through again. Surprisingly quick once you know the challenges and event order. This could actually be a speed game. Got all the way to the shark pool at Bermuda isles in about 3 hours.

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit

CPColin posted:

I think, above all else, that's my main complaint about the game: it has a lot of one-off story events that you can't repeat after you beat them once. I'd like to be able to do rematches of the match play events and tournaments with tougher opponents. Once you beat the story, though, all you have left is challenging yourself to beat your previous scores in stroke play.

Or does the Quick Play feature let you play against the CPU?

I'm imagining another long drive event, but this time held in Tidy Park where all the old geezers are tut-tutting at your long shots at first but by the end they are hyped up too. Missed opportunity IMO.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blue Dunes is killing me. I spent the rest of the game birdieing my way through holes by chipping it in from the rough but the wind in Blue Dunes is making that particular strategy impossible.

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit
I just owned the poo poo out of Max on the Bermuda Isles match to get your caddy. The game script calls for him to overshoot in to the water but then make a close chip on the 5th hole, which he then says "Welcome to the pros." Well I had the same shot but from the south end of the island, but my chip went in. I repeated his line back at my Switch in a gloating manner only to realize that I had scored low enough to decide the match with that shot. I wish I could have seen the look on that stupid pixel rear end in a top hat's face.

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit
Welp I hosed my save too. When I got in to the Tidy Park clubhouse a small thing happened and I was automatically sent outside. Thinking hey I just got access to this place and I want to look around, I went back in. And now the old lady at the front desk wont let me leave.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Afro posted:

Welp I hosed my save too. When I got in to the Tidy Park clubhouse a small thing happened and I was automatically sent outside. Thinking hey I just got access to this place and I want to look around, I went back in. And now the old lady at the front desk wont let me leave.
Isn't that just the... you know, the mystery bit?

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't that just the... you know, the mystery bit?

I triggered the NPC script before the murder mystery by going back in to the clubhouse before talking to Lorraine and challenging Lucky. I fixed it though by reloading my save which spawned me inside the clubhouse but beyond the old lady NPC dialogue threshold.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tidy Park is just buggy as gently caress. Play through everything in one sitting if you possibly can

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Remember, there's no wrong time for Golf Story.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just played the winter tournament against Max & Co. and a couple of bad putts early on put us neck and neck. Clinched it near the end with a longshot Eagle and held on to my lead to the end. Kinda wish the other players' scores would update alongside mine, but I also appreciate the joke that I'm always the last player to finish the course.
I love how many playoffs and tournaments there have been so far, especially the reactions/dialog that reflect each character's playing style.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Once you've finished Golf Story it's time to move on to NEO TURF MASTERS.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Once you've finished Golf Story it's time to move on to GALF.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can somebody explain putting to me? I'm currently on that putting challenge in Blue Moon and I am ripping my hair out. Why won't it go in the loving hole DO NOT GO THAT FAR NO FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Putting kind of sucks sometimes. ZL makes putts go shorter. ZR makes putts go longer. You have to give it more juice to overcome a slope against you (shown in the top-right corner). You have to give it way more juice than you'd expect if you're not 100% on the green. Hitting Y to adjust the distance of the reticle can help, but the reticle assumes a totally flat green.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a difference between holding ZL for an Approach shot and tapping Y and adjusting the power of my shot manually (assuming I hit it on the three-press of course)?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has the game been updated yet? I know he devs were talking about it but between Mario Odyssey and GT Sport I haven’t played golf story in a while.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a difference between holding ZL for an Approach shot and tapping Y and adjusting the power of my shot manually (assuming I hit it on the three-press of course)?

You get finer control with the approach shot, because the indicator when you're swinging is moving slower, relative to the power of the resulting shot. Otherwise, there shouldn't be a difference. The real kicker is that ZR makes your putts longer, when it makes all other shots shorter.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Can I say that I loving hate the music in this game? I never thought about "bad soundtrack" having an effect on a game as much as this does.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You can say it. Doesn't mean you are correct.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Weird because I found the music to be delightful. I'm not an Earthbound / SNES days fanboy either.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The fated patch is out!
I was out of the house for a week, came back and installed the update just in time to crush some old fogeys at Tidy Park. I always laugh when someone gets the power shot sound and color effect for a 100% drive and it ends up going five feet to the side and dying.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
New patch didn't help me get back into the tidy park manor at all

Meh, I got other games to finish anyways

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Welp I got to Chillybeak Peak or whatever it's called. poo poo feels nice so far, and I only just got how to compensate for wind and poo poo. Few questions.

One, just how useful is the $315 putter you unlock at the mini golf lounge? Curving balls sounds fun but uh I dunno if it'd be any practical.

Two, WHEN DO I GET A NEW DRIVER JESUS gently caress ALL OF MY OTHER CLUBS ARE UPGRADING AND SIDEGRADING AND I STILL AM STUCK WITH A SHITE DRIVER AUGH

And three, is it wise to try and raise power ever so slowly? This game has a thing where as your power driving increases, everything else decreases. What do, I wanna hit ball hard.

Oh, and Hot Potatoing balls is fun. Doesnt count as an actual hit but whatever. :v:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Put points into power. It's the most useful stat.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

widespread posted:

One, just how useful is the $315 putter you unlock at the mini golf lounge? Curving balls sounds fun but uh I dunno if it'd be any practical.

it's worthless

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Was it just me or did the different equipment really not seem all that impactful?

Likewise, I didn't see any way to customize a build too much other than letting your other stats hurt a bit or compensating with added points to those categories....and how much of a difference can that really make?

I guess what I'm saying is ultimately the rpg stuff seems extraneous

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's all about the 90° wedge!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Keeping purity in the middle ("essentially pure") is most important IMO, power is second, accuracy and ability are cool for making shots easier, spin is nice sometimes but it's possible to have too much spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Naw. Power is always #1. The further you can hit it, the fewer shots it takes to get it in the hole. Adjusting the shot takes some skill but putting stats in that just makes the ball go less far.

• Locked thread