Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Problem description: No audio device present, or WiFi initially

Attempted fixes: The laptop had a bad charge port, the ground cable had come loose so I tried to glue it but that didn't hold. I had nearly the exact same laptop here scrapped so I took the charge block and cable out of that and put in it. After doing this, now the audio device and WiFi aren't present at all. I took the WiFi card out of the scrapped one and now WiFi is there but wont connect, but I think thats just cause I mismatched the two cables on the card so I'm less worried about that. I had to remove the little speaker to take out the charger block cable but I would think that is only the speaker, I tried the one out of the other machine I have and no dice. Installed manufacturer drivers. Tried plugging things into the headphone jack, nothing. Would you really be able to just fry an audio chip without hurting anything else?

Recent changes: As described above. Had the thing pulled apart to change out the part required

--

Operating system: W10

System specs: Gateway NE56R09H

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Would you really be able to just fry an audio chip without hurting anything else?

Absolutely, and it could very well be a capacitor and not the actual chip, or a series of components. I'm not sure how audio is handled on that mobo but it's definitely possible to just kill the audio components, especially since you mentioned touching the wire that connects to the speaker. This can be verified beyond a doubt with a multimeter but you'd need your board schematics.

If you boot to BIOS do you see any references to an audio device? Have you attempted resetting CMOS?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The BIOS is pretty barebones. Did that, no effect. The system is in legacy mode though, UEFI tells me theres no boot device, that was the case prior to the changes though. I cant see it making a difference but I'm going to try and reinstall in UEFI mode to see if it works. I should note that HDMI audio is still present

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 30, 2017

• Locked thread