Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This episode loving blow. It's like they read the Wikipedia article about Denmark and then made the first lovely joke that popped into their heads and then went home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah even for a new episode that was a bad 'un

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I enjoyed Homer's deadpan 'Foreigners are no longer welcome'. So there was that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PostNouveau posted:

This episode loving blow. It's like they read the Wikipedia article about Denmark and then made the first lovely joke that popped into their heads and then went home.

That's been the case for literally all of the The Simpsons Go To episode though, even the good ones that predate Wikipedia

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Flanders' Ladder

After getting struck by lightning, Bart receives visits from ghosts, who want closure only he can provide.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Getting in early this week after missing the last two? :v:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Mister Kingdom posted:

Flanders' Ladder

After getting struck by lightning, Bart receives visits from ghosts, who want closure only he can provide.

Yeah, you're just making this poo poo up, aren't you.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I've also been behind on this show. I'm still annoyed at the doubling down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Unkempt posted:

Yeah, you're just making this poo poo up, aren't you.

Still better than the one where Bart has to impregnate a horse or whatever the gently caress. What even was that episode, and why was the series not cancelled immediately after they aired it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

PT6A posted:

Still better than the one where Bart has to impregnate a horse or whatever the gently caress. What even was that episode, and why was the series not cancelled immediately after they aired it?

To be fair, he only wanted to distract the horse, so it couldn't help building the wall in three seasons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i gotta say, the medieval episode with all the D&D/Game of Thrones jokes was actually pretty okay and way, way better than i expected for new simpsons

like, if the show stays on that quality level i might jump back on board, though i have essentially zero trust that it will (i only even watched that episode because i was high as balls and didn't feel like hunting for something better on hulu)

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i gotta say, the medieval episode with all the D&D/Game of Thrones jokes was actually pretty okay and way, way better than i expected for new simpsons

like, if the show stays on that quality level i might jump back on board, though i have essentially zero trust that it will (i only even watched that episode because i was high as balls and didn't feel like hunting for something better on hulu)
It doesn't really stay at that level. Every season we get a handful of episodes with Matt Selman as the lead show runner and that was one of them. Even though he's working with the same writers his episodes are noticeably better than most of the ones led by Al Jean.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Shut up, Flanders! :argh:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Geez, how old is that maze gag?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat Lisa, that's cold. I'm not really sure how that counts as a prank.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

drat Lisa, that's cold. I'm not really sure how that counts as a prank.

This is a dark episode. I do like the parade of ghost cats.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hey, they retconned the previous Marvin Monroe retcon.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey! Bart's a Supreme Court justice!

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

dovetaile posted:

Hey! Bart's a Supreme Court justice!

I thought he was a male stripper. I need to catch up.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I thought he was a male stripper. I need to catch up.

That's one of the bad futures. In The Itchy&Scratchy Movie episode, we see he grows up to be a Supreme Court Justice. The recent future episodes have uh not shown this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

That's one of the bad futures. In The Itchy&Scratchy Movie episode, we see he grows up to be a Supreme Court Justice. The recent future episodes have uh not shown this.

Yeah, and in Lisa's Wedding he had a job knocking down buildings, but said he was "just getting it out of my system before law school".

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Can't he be both?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

Can't he be both?

Souter did it, so I don't see why Bart couldn't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's weird how both The Simpsons and Family Guy had main character coma fantasy plots for the finale.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What's less surprising is that, like practically every show that tries a coma storyline, they were both complete and utter garbage episodes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bull3964 posted:

It's weird how both The Simpsons and Family Guy had main character coma fantasy plots for the finale.

I've noticed so many similar sounding themes in shows over the years that I can't even keep track. Applies to movies too. But I thought the same thing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was disappointing that they couldn't even commit to the idea of laying to rest all the ghosts of all the characters that got summarily killed off over the years and just turned it into Bart's coma hallucination instead. It felt like an unused Treehouse Of Horror plot that they decided to turn into a full episode but then they had to walk it back because they don't do crazy stuff like that any more.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I know "when did the Simpsons start sucking" is well trod ground but has anyone pinpointed when the show became bougie as hell? I feel like half of the new episodes I watch are about 9 months ago's hot new upper middle class fad. I guess the Simpsons being working class isn't really believable when they have a pretty cushy lifestyle with a single earner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Big bumpin'

Matt Groening weighs in on Apu again. He walks back a little on his "people love to pretend to be offended" line. (Translation: "Please watch my new show on Netflix.") But it isn't much.

quote:

What did you mean when you said “people love to pretend they’re offended”?

That wasn’t specifically about Apu. That was about our culture in general. And that’s something I’ve noticed for the last 25 years. There is the outrage of the week and it comes and goes. For a while, it was, believe it or not, kids were stealing quarters out of their mothers’ purses in order to go to the video arcade, and that was going to bring down civilization. No one even remembers that, because that lasted a week. I think particularly right now, people feel so aggrieved and crazed and powerless that they’re picking the wrong battles.

Do you believe the people who have raised questions about the depiction of Apu are sincere in their beliefs?

Sure, and my guess is I agree, politically, with 99 percent of the things that Hari Kondabolu believes. We just disagree on Apu. I love the character and I would hate for him to go away. I am sorry that “The Simpsons” would be criticized for having an Indian character that, because of our extraordinary popularity — I expected other people to do it. I go, maybe he’s a problem, but who’s better? Who’s a better Indian animated character in the last 30 years? I’ve been to India twice and talked about “The Simpsons” in front of audiences. That’s why this took me by surprise. I know Indians are not the same as Indian-Americans.
Ugh. He's not engaging with the substance of Kandabolu or anyone else's criticism. And not acknowledging how the whole timing of the "controversy" was a skirmish if the show's choosing. Too lazy to unpack more of this now.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 18, 2018

• Locked thread