Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Alternate title: Death rides a Brown Note

Basically, I'm on a vast cross country journey courtesy of goons, but there's some research I need to do before the next phase of my journey. I'll be making landfall in Orlando by the end of this month, and once I'm done there I intend to ride my mighty steed to Kennedy Space Center, and then onto Nawlanes. Thats about a thousand miles, with a max elevation change of something around 300 feet according to Google.

This is my ride. A 2016 Charge Grater 3 Disc, with 700x40 Clement X'PLOR MSO rubber and Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal rear hub. I run an amazon no name 1200 lumen 3 stage/strobe front headlamp with aux 4400 mAH battery pack and USB capability to plug into my Anker 20100 power bank if need be. Rear light is a Knog Blinder USB rechargable. Rear rack with panniers is rated for 110 lb max. I ride Shimano SPD clips with Giro shoes and Super feet insoles.

Riding gear at all times is 1 high volume pump, 2 tubes, patch kit, and an Alien I as well as Alien II bike multi tool. Wrench for pedals, wrench for rear axle, 2 gatorades, and a Nalgene 32oz water bottle I keep full. Personal effects are 3 lighters, a legal folding knife (lost my Kershaw, need to replace it), and a Gerber sliding multi tool in pockets. Long distances get a proper foot operated pump attached to the rear rack as well.

Camping gear is going to be an Osprey Talon 44 backpack, my leather jacket, a camping hammock with bug net and rain fly, and a 0* sleeping bag. I was generously given a Biolite 1st Gen camp stove, as well as some other supplies. I've proofed the hammock and bag combo in a nebraska high wind thunderstorm and woke up warm and dry.

The backpack will be mostly clothing and socks, as I intend to stick to civilisation. I've ridden fully loaded for 20 miles on a regular basis, have about a 50 mile range on rough/uphill terrain, and about a 100 mile flat land sustainable daily range on my bike.

I just finished reading the goon death march thread, and lol. Bike security is maintained via Abus U bolt lock, then hanging the hammock through the frame triangle.

What am I missing?

Edit: forgot my favorite view of the bike

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Get one of those popup tents on a trailer - though I have no idea where you will be able to get your hands on one where you currently are.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

Get one of those popup tents on a trailer - though I have no idea where you will be able to get your hands on one where you currently are.

:ironicat:

The trailer will be heading to Denver when I take off for Orlando, and I plan on riding through the south until Denver thaws out and I can go start rebuilding my life. Shits gonna be hard on two wheels, but my cat is the driving force behind actually re establishing myself somewhere and Orlando has gators and pythons I hear so that's right out.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tbh, your cat can probably kill the orlando gators. Complete pushovers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
A: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3635988&perpage=40&pagenumber=39#pti29

B: Route: https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes-and-maps/adventure-cycling-route-network/southern-tier/ These maps are loving amazing. They detail all the camping, food, etc on the route.

C: Places to sleep: https://www.warmshowers.org/

I have places you can stay in Jackson, LA and part way between Baton Rouge and NOLA. I also have route advice for those areas.

Get a front rack so you can move some of the weight forward.

Don't look like you, you'll scare the southerners who are generally otherwise friendly to (white) dudes on bikes shockingly enough (offer void in Florida). You can almost always get water from churches. Dogs suck some serious rear end.

You need at minimum:
Spare chain links
Chain tool
Spare spokes
Spoke wrench
A way to get your cassette off when you drive side spokes break. (Aka the J.A. Stein Mini Cassette Lockring Tool)
Electrical tape
You have a hydro brake system, right? Some spare lines, a way to bleed, and some fluid (unless it uses DOT5.1, though I'd still bring some).
Tire boots. (https://www.parktool.com/product/emergency-tire-boot-TB-2)
You might need a new rear tire.

• Locked thread