Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

Zinc cadmium sulfide doesn't make people sick.
They literally dumped it over the entire country in 1957 and 1958, so I'm not sure why this would be a causative agent in a St. Louis woman's cancer but not everyone elses.

As for the other stuff, the article was really vague. "Investigators created a radiation field inside a building at North Hollywood High School during a weekend in the fall of 1961" Well its a weekend, so nobody was in the school, and its not like the effects of a radiation field would linger. I'm not sure how harmful the injected isotopes of iron are.

Obviously there was not informed consent in any of this and it was unethical. I hate to be the skeptic, it's not like they're not capable of it. Is there a link to her dissertation or something?

you seem to be confusing "we don't know whether this is dangerous" with "this is safe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

What makes conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones so effective is that the U.S. has legitimately done a bunch of crazy poo poo that sounds like conspiracy theories. MK Ultra, basically every single thing we did in the South America during the Cold War, Iran-Contra, every single thing about J. Edgar Hoover and the Dulles brothers, we sent pallets of cash to Iraq that vanished (this isn't even a conspiracy, just a baffling fuckup), the CIA sold cocaine to fund arms trade, the Tuskegee experiment, etc. etc. It all sounds exactly like the made-up theories, just with different nouns. The only difference is it's proven history.

America has done some completely nuts stuff, so how hard is it to believe a few more?

I mean when Alex Jones talks about crazy government stuff sure, but then sometimes he just goes off and does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUIcCyPOA30

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

walgreenslatino posted:

They literally dumped it over the entire country in 1957 and 1958, so I'm not sure why this would be a causative agent in a St. Louis woman's cancer but not everyone elses.

As for the other stuff, the article was really vague. "Investigators created a radiation field inside a building at North Hollywood High School during a weekend in the fall of 1961" Well its a weekend, so nobody was in the school, and its not like the effects of a radiation field would linger. I'm not sure how harmful the injected isotopes of iron are.

Obviously there was not informed consent in any of this and it was unethical. I hate to be the skeptic, it's not like they're not capable of it. Is there a link to her dissertation or something?

They dumped a lot more in some places, but yeah that's not really the most interesting thing. It sounds like there was a lot more plutonium and iron radiation testing than we previously thought, which was the interesting part to me.

Also yeah the term 'radiation field' seems questionable at best.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

For whoever wanted to know where in Britain we tested stuff, part of the zinc cadmium sulphide testing was done in the North Sea so it would get carried on the wind over Britain. I assume they meant that?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Triple post: I found this article from 2012 that talks about the St. Louis lady and has more detail on that specific operation

http://www.businessinsider.com/army-sprayed-st-louis-with-toxic-dust-2012-10

quote:

In the mid-1950s, and again a decade later, the Army used motorized blowers atop a low-income housing high-rise, at schools and from the backs of station wagons to send a potentially dangerous compound into the already-hazy air in predominantly black areas of St. Louis.

Local officials were told at the time that the government was testing a smoke screen that could shield St. Louis from aerial observation in case the Russians attacked.

Bonus fun out of context quote that sums this all up nicely:

quote:

"I feel betrayed," said Brindell, who is white.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

walgreenslatino posted:

From the OP posted:

St. Louis leaders were told at the time that the government was testing a smoke screen that could shield the city from aerial observation in case of Soviet attack. Evidence now shows radioactive material, not just zinc cadmium sulfide, was part of that spraying, Martino-Taylor said.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh I didn't catch that either, and in the other article I found Martino-Taylor was just theorizing that there could have been. That is certainly a much bigger deal

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Triple post: I found this article from 2012 that talks about the St. Louis lady and has more detail on that specific operation

http://www.businessinsider.com/army-sprayed-st-louis-with-toxic-dust-2012-10

Bonus fun out of context quote that sums this all up nicely:

look we only do dangerous experimental tests without consent on black people

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
should make a lead foil hat I guess

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:wtc:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mister magpie posted:

should make a lead foil hat I guess

https://www.golfworks.com/high-density-lead-foil-tape/p/HDLT/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvf6X2J3a1gIVBxBpCh1MDwRFEAYYAyABEgKSY_D_BwE :discourse:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I used to date a chick who was super into Pharma conspiracy theories. See was profoundly mentally ill (otherwise she wouldn't have even considered dating me lol) and refuse to take her meds because of the afformentioned conspiracies. The relationship didn't last long but the sex was great.

In retrospect I kinda regret not starting a falloutesque bunker to raise a family with her

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

What makes conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones so effective is that the U.S. has legitimately done a bunch of crazy poo poo that sounds like conspiracy theories. MK Ultra, basically every single thing we did in the South America during the Cold War, Iran-Contra, every single thing about J. Edgar Hoover and the Dulles brothers, we sent pallets of cash to Iraq that vanished (this isn't even a conspiracy, just a baffling fuckup), the CIA sold cocaine to fund arms trade, the Tuskegee experiment, etc. etc. It all sounds exactly like the made-up theories, just with different nouns. The only difference is it's proven history.

America has done some completely nuts stuff, so how hard is it to believe a few more?

The CIA doing evil poo poo is completely understandable.

The fact that they are utterly incompetent at said evil poo poo despite their vast resources is baffling

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Dreddout posted:

The CIA doing evil poo poo is completely understandable.

The fact that they are utterly incompetent at said evil poo poo despite their vast resources is baffling

my theory is that there's about 5% as many threats to national security as the cia's budget warrants, but they have to spend it all to make it look like they're doing something. the craziest poo poo costs the most money so the guys who come up with it get promoted and after a couple organizational generations they can't even take care of the 5% effectively because being sane makes advancement impossible.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frijolero posted:

We're like every terrible despotic regime we hate, except we have malls n poo poo.

Hey remember when the govt. coerced Puerto Rico into involuntarily sterilizing dozens of people? Yeah me neither. :allears:

when the birth control pill was being developed pharmaceutical companies used PR as the testing ground. early birth control pills had much higher levels of estrogen in them than today's pills. three women died due to blood clotting and more could have developmented of cancer later in life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraceptive_trials_in_Puerto_Rico

Darkman Fanpage has issued a correction as of 04:07 on Oct 6, 2017

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

conspiracy theorists also lay claim to be smarter than everyone, and conspiracy theories that "prove" jfk was killed by zionists or w/e are a way of proving they're smarter, because everyone else just can't see that there was a cipher in the protocols in the elder of zion foretelling it

there's probably some mortality salience involved too, infowars can say that the las vegas massacre was a false flag so that antifa can secretly be trained by isis and people can shield themselves from the fact that the chances of you dying at any moment are out of your control sometimes. there was some good article arguing that politics are almost entirely defined by mortality salience, it makes a lot of sense when you see studies sort of peripheral to it, like a strong link between fear of germs/disease and links to conservatism

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

conspiracy theorists also lay claim to be smarter than everyone, and conspiracy theories that "prove" jfk was killed by zionists or w/e are a way of proving they're smarter, because everyone else just can't see that there was a cipher in the protocols in the elder of zion foretelling it

there's probably some mortality salience involved too, infowars can say that the las vegas massacre was a false flag so that antifa can secretly be trained by isis and people can shield themselves from the fact that the chances of you dying at any moment are out of your control sometimes. there was some good article arguing that politics are almost entirely defined by mortality salience, it makes a lot of sense when you see studies sort of peripheral to it, like a strong link between fear of germs/disease and links to conservatism

I mean I think it just comes down to like, it's super fun to think that you know something that they don't want you to know and that you're secretly living in a Tom Clancy novel starring yourself, and some people just really really need to feel special

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The vast majority of conspiracy theories swing right though, and the people spraying carcinogens into black neighborhoods aren't what you call tolerant. So for all their paranoia, I doubt conspiracy theorists would pick up on these abuses, or investigate them or whatever. I mean, they didn't. Which is why its a social worker who brought this to light, not Alex Jones, who's more 'peddling Male Vitality pills' than he is 'speaking truth to power'.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Ultimately, it's a breakdown of trust. When people come up with a conspiracy theory, that means that they don't trust our major institutions. It's pretty hard to tell truth from fiction when you don't trust anyone - not the government, not the media, not scientists, not businesses, not teachers or doctors - to tell you the truth. At that point, you're relying entirely on your hunches, paranoia, and a few con artists for even basic information about the world around you. That can lead people to some pretty strange places, because we rely on others for so much of what we know. How do we know bacteria exists? Well, for most of us, it's because a teacher, a scientist, a journalist, a doctor, or a government worker told us so. If you don't trust any of those groups to tell you the truth, and if you expect everything they tell you to be lies told to somehow further their own interests, then the next thing you know you're ranting about how bacteria are just a conspiracy by the soap industry to sell you mind-altering poisons, or something like that.

Conspiracies are not largely restricted to the right, it's just that they mostly only get coverage on the right because the media cares far more about a few wealthy white celebrities' thoughts on vaccines than about the African-American mistrust of the medical industry caused by abuses like the Tuskegee Experiment. There is a noted tendency toward conspiracies on the right, thanks to the strong anti-science, anti-inmigrant, and anti-government movements that it likes to absorb, sure. But the poor have plenty of reason to distrust the authorities too, though they often don't have time to dedicate their lives to obsessing over it like comfortably well-off conservatives do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Conspiracies are not largely restricted to the right, it's just that they mostly only get coverage on the right because the media cares far more about a few wealthy white celebrities' thoughts on vaccines than about the African-American mistrust of the medical industry caused by abuses like the Tuskegee Experiment.

I mean there's also something significantly more ridiculous and grandiose about everything surrounding "vaccines cause autism" or "the government is hiding aliens" than about "hey remember how we, as a nation, totally did some crimes against humanity to black people only a couple generations ago? Well we're totally not doing that now, honest.

Also please don't test your municipal water supply for lead, I'm sure it's fine"

• Locked thread