Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

Even if you aren't still using it now, I'm sure many of you also have fond memories of using this service in the past.

I received the e-mail this morning:

quote:

Dear AIM user,

We see that you've used AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) in the past, so we wanted to let you know that AIM will be discontinued and will no longer work as of December 15, 2017.

Before December 15, you can continue to use the service. After December 15, you will no longer have access to AIM and your data will be deleted. If you use an @aim.com email address, your email account will not be affected and you will still be able to send and receive email as usual.

We've loved working on AIM for you. From setting the perfect away message to that familiar ring of an incoming chat, AIM will always have a special place in our hearts. As we move forward, all of us at AOL (now Oath) are excited to continue building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products for users around the world.

You can visit our FAQ to learn more. Thank you for being an AIM user.

Sincerely,
The AOL Instant Messenger team

May it rest in peace. :rip:

To IMs, chats, chat bots, shady third-party addons like middle_man or AIM+ that removed ads but also phoned home, the sometimes-hassle of trying to send an image via direct connect or file transfer, we now say our final https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Z2CklSxM0

Will ICQ outlive AIM? We shall see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
kept using it until like 2014 :rip:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Goodnight, sweet prince; and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 8, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
RIP, MSN Messenger.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I remember inviting my whole list to group chats to spam poop over and over then sheepishly look at people in school the next day

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RIP AIM, I mostly only used you through Pidgin.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RZApublican posted:

RIP AIM, I mostly only used you through Pidgin.

hey remember when facebook messenger was a standards compliant XMPP service

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

I tried using one of those AOL discs in middle school, chose the wrong dialing number and my parents got a phone bill for $800. Then I was banished back to our local ISP and had to use AIM. RIP.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

hey remember when facebook messenger was a standards compliant XMPP service

yeah I was pissed when that went away

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It's gone. :(

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
This is like some cruel joke planned to underscore the Net Neutrality repeal by the FCC yesterday. Goodbye, 90’s Internet, you were free, and slow, and static, and beautiful.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Where will I get groomed by pedophiles now

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Byolante posted:

Where will I get groomed by pedophiles now

Yahoo chatrooms.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I signed on to see if they would send any messages out prior to shutting it down. It died without any fanfare. Right in the feels.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I signed on to see if they would send any messages out prior to shutting it down. It died without any fanfare. Right in the feels.

Good news! You can continue to relive your youth through this emotionally manipulative indie game!

And if it doesn't break you, there's a sequel too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
AOL was the first time I realised that FAQ should be pronounced ""Fah-Q".

• Locked thread