Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Welcome to my entry for the ICSA for my favorite food, chili!

You have all probably heard of “3-bean chili” before, which this is not, because beans are the food that my food eats. This is a 3-MEAT chili, venison, beef and pork.

I make a LOT of chili, so in order to keep myself interested, I’m doing some experimenting instead of just doing a standard Texas Red. I’ve also cut out a lot of process pictures, because you all know what chopped onions and garlic look like.

Today’s new experiment for me are:

Peruvian Aji Panca chiles – Very fruity, with a little heat. They taste like a mix of Fresnos and dried cherries. I like ‘em
Chicory – This turned out awesome. Highly, highly recommend if you ever want to add some dark, roasty, molasses and coffee flavor easily. I knew I was using a lot of bright, fruity chiles and I wanted to add some depth and darkness without compensating using too many Anchos (they are so loving raisiny).

Enough talk, let’s chili!

Ingredients:
4.5lbs venison chili grind from last deer season
1.5lbs spicy venison/pork sausage from last deer season
10lbs chuck from last trip to the market
1.5lb dried chiles (I used Ancho, California Red, New Mexico Red, Aji Panca and Cascabels)
5 cloves of garlic
3 medium onions
1 bottle Deschutes Obsidian Stout
7.5oz can of chipotles
20oz beef broth
3Tbsp roasted chicory
3Tbsp ground cumin
1Tbsp dried Mexican oregano from the garden
2tsp Garlic powder
2tsp Onion powder

First step, spend about 45 minutes just deseeding all of those loving chiles, while chanting “it will be worth it” to yourself.

Bring your beef broth up to boiling, cut the heat, add the chicory to start infusing

Cut up and then toast the chiles in a 425f oven until they begin to darken a bit on the tops.

Put all of the toasted chiles into a blender with the dry herbs/spices, the whole can of chipotles and the chicory broth that you strained.

I had to do two batches. Let the chiles rehydrate for about 15 minutes, stirring them up occasionally if they are not fully submerged. Blend them up, and end up with a few pounds of chili paste.

Trim all of the big chunks/veins of fat out of your chuck(don’t throw that away), marvel at how loving great it looks.

Cube all of the chuck. That is a 10” chef’s knife for scale. That is a LOT of meat.

Render out all of the leftover scrap beef fat. This is what you will use for the rest of the recipe.

Brown all of the chunks of chuck, in a few batches. Try to get a lot of color, without cooking the beef all the way through. It ends up stringy if you do.

Brown your sausage. Like, really BROWN your sausage. Don’t just cook it. You want to get a ton of flavor out of this.

Fast forward through chopping/sautéing your onions and garlic in the last of the beef fat.

Combine everything left in one big pot, add like 3Tbsp salt, and wish you had a bigger pot.

You are going to think that it is too thick and you need to add more liquid. DO NOT DO THIS. All of the meat will put out more than enough liquid. If you add more liquid, it will be soupy, and you won’t be able to cook off enough liquid before the meat is completely shredding apart.

This is what it should look like.

You’ll need to stir a good bit while a batch this big is coming up to temp. If you don’t, it will scorch on the bottom. Once it has gotten up to simmering temp, the meat will have given off enough liquid that you can just leave it simmer and only stir every 30 minutes or so until it’s done about 2.5-3hrs later.

It is done when the meat is super tender, but not shredding itself when you stir. It should also be thick enough to pass the spoon test.

There you have it! A drat fine pot of chili. Astoundingly flavorful, a slow-building, warm but manageable spiciness. It’s super meaty with plenty of venison coming through. It’s dark, earthy, coffee-y, with a good background sweet fruitiness.

Also makes crazy good Frito Pie. For non-Texans, that’s pouring a ladle of chili over some fritos then topping with cheese and onions. The hot sauce is homemade ghost pepper sauce made from peppers from my garden.

Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Looks good.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
That looks good, but also holy poo poo that is a ton of chili!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I approve of this meatchili

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
That is a wonderful looking and very traditional style of chili. What kind of army do you live with to make this much at once?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you very much. No army, just freezes extremely well, so we make a bunch.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This looks loving delicious and I want a smaller version of this recipe to try myself. Like maybe 1/3 the size.

Is it possible to buy deer meat online or in stores? Nobody in my family hunts.

EDIT: I'd also like to make the modification of smoking the meat on a smoker instead of browning it on the stove. Is this a bad idea for any reason, and if not, how should I go about it?

EDIT 2: Also I told my mother about this recipe and she wants to know if there's something you can substitute for the venison, as she doesn't like deer meat.

... but I still want to know where to find venison, because I want to try this with it one day.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 20, 2017

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This looks loving delicious and I want a smaller version of this recipe to try myself. Like maybe 1/3 the size.

Is it possible to buy deer meat online or in stores? Nobody in my family hunts.

EDIT: I'd also like to make the modification of smoking the meat on a smoker instead of browning it on the stove. Is this a bad idea for any reason, and if not, how should I go about it?

EDIT 2: Also I told my mother about this recipe and she wants to know if there's something you can substitute for the venison, as she doesn't like deer meat.

... but I still want to know where to find venison, because I want to try this with it one day.

Can totally be done without Venison, just straight sub beef for the chili grind, and just use any roll of pork breakfast saussage. You'd be fine without the chili grind and just upping the cubed beef a bit, but I really do think that the chili grind adds some thickness and texture.

Smoking the cubed beef will be great. Just make sure you brown the heck out of the sausage though to get some good browned meat flavor in there. Smoking adds its own great flavor, but you won't get any maillard reaction going on there.

Sadly, no idea where to economically get venison. I grew up hunting and go every year, so never had to find out. What state are you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

Sadly, no idea where to economically get venison. I grew up hunting and go every year, so never had to find out. What state are you in?

Texas.

• Locked thread