Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's also very funny how Fitz will never acknowledge he likes men whilst forever describing the Fool's delicate bone structure and graceful poise in loving detail, excellent use of first person narration by comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I remember enjoying the Assassin trilogy and the Liveship trilogy when they came out (which is apparently a long time ago). Then I think there was another Fitz trilogy with a lot of the Fool in it, which I remember absolutely nothing about, and some absolutely mental thing about some kid in military college who gets kidnapped by a tribe of feeders who make him incredibly obese. Really full of strange choices, I was perplexed by the whole endeavour.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sooner or later every fantasy author starts to let their Weird out, and unfortunately Hobb was no exception

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

No Dignity posted:

Sooner or later every fantasy author starts to let their Weird out, and unfortunately Hobb was no exception

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
That's if you're lucky. Rothfuss was getting into the stupid sex stuff instantly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kchama posted:

That's if you're lucky. Rothfuss was getting into the stupid sex stuff instantly.

the weirdest poo poo is he really tries to write it like it's going to mean something but seems to have forgotten about that mid draft and then just went straight for horny teen boy fantasy scenarios

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pentyne posted:

the weirdest poo poo is he really tries to write it like it's going to mean something but seems to have forgotten about that mid draft and then just went straight for horny teen boy fantasy scenarios

Look, the truth behind the legends is that actually he got up to a hell of a lot more sex and bangin' than the legends ever thought possible.

Also, does Rothuss just not know how legends work? Like, there's plenty of legends of living people, and the ones who made people upset, especially rich people, are all extremely negative and not "Wow this dude is so cool!" A guy whose famous for plunging the world into chaos would not have his other legends be how cool he was in college.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torquemada posted:

some kid in military college who gets kidnapped by a tribe of feeders who make him incredibly obese

I read these books and it's a metaphor for decolonization, much like the Baru books, and

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kchama posted:

Also, does Rothuss just not know how legends work?

Of course not, he's a loving idiot.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

mewse posted:

I read these books and it's a metaphor for decolonization, much like the Baru books, and

Decolonization? drat near wrecked the toilet!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Barreft posted:

Of course not, he's a loving idiot.

Well yeah, but it's just kind of impressive. "This is the legend of the man who broke the world! Haha time to listen to his college antics! Wow, so cool!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've written 1500 pages on Hitler's art tutelage and application to art school. It's gonna set the record state and explain the man behind the legend. People will love it, especially the sex stuff.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've written 1500 pages on Hitler's art tutelage and application to art school. It's gonna set the record state and explain the man behind the legend. People will love it, especially the sex stuff.

It'd be like if Benedict Arnold managed to kill the American Revolution leadership and now everything has gone to hell for the colonies and people were telling tales and legends about how awesome he was in college.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maybe nobody's actually telling all these stories about how great Kvothe is. Maybe Chronicler just found himself in a room with infamous mass murderer Eyegouger the Woebringer and, terrified of being the next victim, panicked and went "Are you truly the great wonderful Eyegouger the Woebringer, most celebrated amazing cool person with the biggest dick in all the land? Everyone knows how amazing you are, but please, tell me in further detail how truly even more amazing you are, preferably in a way that doesn't involve gouging my eyes out."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Maybe nobody's actually telling all these stories about how great Kvothe is. Maybe Chronicler just found himself in a room with infamous mass murderer Eyegouger the Woebringer and, terrified of being the next victim, panicked and went "Are you truly the great wonderful Eyegouger the Woebringer, most celebrated amazing cool person with the biggest dick in all the land? Everyone knows how amazing you are, but please, tell me in further detail how truly even more amazing you are, preferably in a way that doesn't involve gouging my eyes out."

See, this is actually a good twist on the premise, so no this is not the shocking reveal Rothfuss is going to spring on his audience who are deeply invested in Kvothe being awesome and great at sex.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Chronicler is just there to gather as much information as possible so every half-legitimate hero within five kingdoms can figure out how to most effectively kill Kvothe The Bloodless Prick, Bringer Of Misforutune. The irony is, he already has all he needs by the midpoint of the second book: send in a harem with knives. gently caress him 'til he can't stand then hack him to pieces.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm just reminded of that bit early on.

KKC posted:

Chronicler found himself thinking of a story he had heard. One of the many. The story told of how Kvothe had gone looking for his heart’s desire. He had to trick a demon to get it. But once it rested in his hand, he was forced to fight an angel to keep it. I believe it, Chronicler found himself thinking. Before it was just a story, but now I can believe it. This is the face of a man who has killed an angel.

We get no details about it. Just "Huh, I heard a story... And having seen this guy exist, I now believe it!! He's killed an angel!" but this doesn't like, scare him or worry him. Even though the angels are literally suppose to be divine servants of good. It's just "Huh, he's so cool!"

EDIT: Hell, rereading the early chapters, there's a lot made about how there's images of Kvothe everywhere. And not in the 'wanted' sense, but more in the 'praising' sense. And this guy recognizes Kote as Kvothe because Kote's singing is still super-amazing and fits his legend perfectly. But Kvothe is able to convince him otherwise. Honestly, this is also weird because the idea that he's lost his name means he lost what made him 'him' but apparently it doesn't actually do anything. He can just still do everything as awesome as he use to.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 9, 2024

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
The frame story is stupid in a huge variety of ways, but it also makes no sense that Borge is such a legendary figure within like five years of his exploits.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

TheLoquid posted:

The frame story is stupid in a huge variety of ways, but it also makes no sense that Borge is such a legendary figure within like five years of his exploits.

He was a legend before the halfway point of the first book. It's like a book sequel to the Fable games.

"Aye you, chicken-chaser!"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
People were in awe of him not bleeding when whipped as a college punishment.

Because he bought over-the-counter medicine available at the school before being whipped.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Look, everyone always knew there was no rule saying a dog couldn't play basketball, but it took until Kvothe for someone to be genius to get a dog to play basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It'd have been better if "the bloodless" nickname was one he received as an insult. Like everyone knows he took a painkiller before his punishment and so they use his "bloodless" result to mock him. Even better would be if Kvothe doesn't realize it until the Chronicler connects the dots for him years later (same with him meeting his aunt and never seeming to realize it). Just really hammer home that Kvothe is a self-important loser.

This would require Rothfuss to be a good writer though, so...