Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm surprised nobody seems to care about a giant asteroid about to wipe out all life on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm surprised nobody seems to care about a giant asteroid about to wipe out all life on earth.

"There's a giant asteroid headed for earth"

"Okay I'm off to school!"

Would people seriously react that way in Japan, or is it a joking criticism of their culture?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Would people seriously react that way in Japan, or is it a joking criticism of their culture?

People act that way literally everywhere already. There have been tons of those “giant meteor coming WILL kill everyone” stories on news stations.

I feel like this anime has pretty heavily changed from what it was originally setting out to be and should’ve probably been longer

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There Bias Two posted:

Did the entire world stop for the Cuban Missile Crisis? It's just yet another news story, regardless of its import.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's a tad weirder that Japan(or Japan's youth, rather, maybe?) seems less than rattled at having just witnessed reporters get slaughtered on live TV, to the point it seems almost like commentary, considering something similar happened in America not too long ago and....welp, look where we're at now. Then again, I've read ahead and frankly I don't trust the author of this thing enough for that.

That's far from the biggest or weirdest plot hole, anyway, like say, how Inu and Hiro both have nigh-omniscient superhearing yet...never pick up on the other? Hiro, a dude who actively sought out 2ch comments mocking his mother's suicide at the raw height of his grief, never had even a momentary whim to check up on his former friend and hear him conspiring against him; nor for that matter does Inu ever hear Hiro's histrionic screaming into the night? Suuuuuuuuuure.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Inuyashiki seems pretty acutely aware of what Hiro is up to

Also I mean there are snuff videos that get passed around on social media and “go viral” all the time. Just a few months back there was one about kids recording a guy drowning in a lake, or the lady getting shot on fb live. That stuff really doesn’t matter as much as people make it out to. Like, this show is starting to have some pretty big plot issues but these aren’t them. The Hiro ignoring poo poo thing though is a problem

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 1, 2017

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Inuyashiki seems pretty acutely aware of what Hiro is up to

Nah, he'd never even seen the kid till last episode. Well, for more than a split second.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pootybutt posted:

Nah, he'd never even seen the kid till last episode. Well, for more than a split second.

Doesn’t he say to hiro’s friend he can never forgive him for the stuff he’s doing when they start being buddies?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kashuno posted:

Doesn’t he say to hiro’s friend he can never forgive him for the stuff he’s doing when they start being buddies?

He knows what everybody else knows; that he's out there murdering; but every time he tries to use his hearing to get a bead on him, he just convientently can't? It's not a big thing, but it is kinda weird and jarring to me that this big advantage, the whole reason he first comes face-to-face w Hiro's deeds, is rendered useless(for no stated reason, and it's not like Hiro has been all that careful if the normal squishy human police can track him twice) and brushed aside so quickly so that the Plot can happen.

Also, randomly circulating snuff vids are one thing. A recent high-profile fugitive serial killer suddenly and mysteriously executing reporters on live TV during a segment specifically about him seems like it should be a bigger deal. Again, it ain't a dealbreaker(albiet maybe a neat signifier of how much dumber things are about to get), but it does strike me as schlocky, lazy writing how that moment just comes and goes.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 1, 2017

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Having read Gantz, I really didn't expect better writing or a consistent plot.

The one thing that I thought was absurd, unfitting and way too edgy was the special forces unit immediately shooting the unarmed teenager in her pajamas and the harmless sleeping grandma. It's a small narrative contrivance, which probably isn't all that important in the larger scale, but it just kind of took me out of it.
Getting the narrative to go back to the original conflict of Hiro killing everyone makes sense. His brief "redemption arc" served its purpose in informing the audience and talking about Hiros own motivations and issues with his new robot self, humanizing him a bit in the process. But there's probably a lot less dumb ways to go about it. Just have a bullet ricochet into them and job's a good one.

I'm mostly just curious where precisely they are going with this.
Which was what made me read the shitshow that was Gantz as well, come to think of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

Having read Gantz, I really didn't expect better writing or a consistent plot.

The one thing that I thought was absurd, unfitting and way too edgy was the special forces unit immediately shooting the unarmed teenager in her pajamas and the harmless sleeping grandma. It's a small narrative contrivance, which probably isn't all that important in the larger scale, but it just kind of took me out of it.
Getting the narrative to go back to the original conflict of Hiro killing everyone makes sense. His brief "redemption arc" served its purpose in informing the audience and talking about Hiros own motivations and issues with his new robot self, humanizing him a bit in the process. But there's probably a lot less dumb ways to go about it. Just have a bullet ricochet into them and job's a good one.

I'm mostly just curious where precisely they are going with this.
Which was what made me read the shitshow that was Gantz as well, come to think of it.

Eh, they probably knew that he was somehow extremely dangerous and could not confirm or deny if the others in that house were as dangerous. Only makes sense to neutralise the potential threats in the face of such extreme danger, although frankly at that point I'd have sent out a few tanks and attack helicopters just in case if I was in the position to just say "hey shoot anything in there". The part that turns that from sensible tactics to just dumb edge is that they weren't taken away and held after coming home just fine even after being shot multiple times, with suspicious transactions in their accounts.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Can we go back to topless grandpa now? :(

isme
Oct 13, 2004
ZombiePugs
The lady on the plane able to connect to her data during mid flight to play a youtube video for a baby, now that's absurd.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"videos for babies" nonononono

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This show takes all the wrong turns

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Daler Mehndi posted:

Can we go back to topless grandpa now? :(

This show could've been so much funnier and better as "Adventures of topless grandpa" instead of "Chronicles of the most angsty teen ever." :saddowns:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay this episode was good and sweet.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

lol

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow that was hot garbage. This whole series was just...increasingly disappointing. Who the hell greenlighted this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You two are crazy. That was a really good ending, and overall I'm super impressed with the writing of the series considering it got poo poo-canned early on.

I would have liked Inuyashiki to have survived, but I actually liked how things played out now that I think about it. It's fitting that Hiro's self-sacrifice, born of his selfish love for specific people, does little, while Inuyashiki's, born of his selfless love for all humans, is what saves the Earth. At least it's fitting with the themes that the show is going for. I'm not sure I'd agree with that personally, but I thought it was well-conveyed if nothing else.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I like to think that the asteroid was actually sent by the aliens that rebuilt Inuyashiki and Hiro, when they realized that they had possibly doomed the planet by transforming them into death machines

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ending felt even shittier and more rushed than in the manga. Whatever this story was trying to say about heroism and feedback and social media and how we're inspired by those around us, I have no clue.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tbqh this story would be 100x better if Hiro didn’t exist at all

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kashuno posted:

Tbqh this story would be 100x better if Hiro didn’t exist at all

Absolutely. I think the idea was for him to exist as a foil for the old man, but even that wasn't done properly, so he was pointless.

Part of me was waiting for the reveal that the dog was also a machine.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
The Trump cameo was too accurate.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
There are 3 great things about this show:

1. Topless grandpa shenanigans
2. That Trump cameo was amazing
3. I like the ED song.

:shrug: I guess on the plus side it didn't drag out into 50+ episodes or something ridiculous, but man Hiro was not well written.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Daler Mehndi posted:

He seemed too competent up until the end of his little speech.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 29, 2017

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's going to be a historical artifact that no one in future generations will ever be able to comprehend just how loving stupid he and his followers are.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Alternatively, that'll be his legacy and it'll be as assumed as "Nixon is corrupt" was.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's also possible that he will become a beloved icon (despite being a piece of poo poo) like reagan (despite being a piece of poo poo)

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I'm alright with this. Didn't expect much out of them because of Gantz, but it wasn't too lovely and solidly mediocre.
Grandpas struggle with his humanity was a lot more interesting than Hiros and the focus on Hiro as a rampaging mass murderer out to destroy the entirety of Japan was kinda dumb. Like, he made sense as a character that was always kind of lovely and selfish and that didn't care much for people that weren't part of his life, but declaring war on a nation and dropping planes on Tokyo is a fairly extreme escalation.

Daler Mehndi posted:

:yeah:
It was way on point that Trump would be lovely enough to call everyone a loser while stroking his own ego during a planetary crisis.
He seemed a bit too eloquent otherwise, but the japanese probably get a different impression of him if they rely on translators.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 1, 2018

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Zwiebel posted:

He seemed a bit too eloquent otherwise, but the japanese probably get a different impression of him if they rely on translators.

The interpretors are just trying not to sound dumb

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/06/trump-translation-interpreters

quote:

We try to grasp the context and get at the core message, but in Trump’s case, it’s so incoherent. You’re interpreting, and then suddenly the sentence stops making sense, and we risk ending up sounding stupid

The POTUS :downs:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Phobophilia posted:

It's going to be a historical artifact that no one in future generations will ever be able to comprehend just how loving stupid he and his followers are.

Honestly, I think the historical artifact is going to be the people who weren't there trying to figure out how the people who were let it happen.

KidneyKai
Nov 6, 2010
The OP sold this show well. I had to check it out!

Was the asteroid forshadowed from the very beginning? I could have sworn one of the Aliens said something to the effect of 'Oh crap, this planet is done for. Let's split!' the first time I watched it but didn't see evidence upon second viewing.

Secondly, how did the authorities know that Hiro was responsible for all the murders? I must have missed the tell both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

KidneyKai posted:

The OP sold this show well. I had to check it out!

Was the asteroid forshadowed from the very beginning? I could have sworn one of the Aliens said something to the effect of 'Oh crap, this planet is done for. Let's split!' the first time I watched it but didn't see evidence upon second viewing.

Secondly, how did the authorities know that Hiro was responsible for all the murders? I must have missed the tell both times.

1) It was setup like the aliens had weaponry so far advanced compared to Earth that it was obvious to at least one of them that equipping the two humans with even their lowest grade stuff would probably destroy the planet, but the aliens were in a rush and had better things to do so they just bailed. The asteroid was only mentioned as a competing news story to the Hiro murders iirc.

2) At the end of ep 05 the news report says a witness tipped off the police, it's pretty safe to assume it was Ando. The photo released to the media and mentioned by schoolmates was a fake to try and prevent Hiro from bailing early.

• Locked thread