Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Of course, but that's because it's an ensemble cast rather than Leo AND others. And they all got a proper chance to stand out this season.

So Leo's never been the main focus except when he is and the story is just about wacky goofy poo poo except all the times its not.

Like it's fine the show can do both tones, hell it does swapping between them really well most of the time. My point is more that it really feels a lot more whiplash-y for this season closer compared to the last one since the last one had that through line setting it up.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like season one is nightow adaptation a bit more in the vein of trigun where it takes all the crazy poo poo and just bends it a bit into something that works as a story, and this season is just what you get when you directly adapt nightow stuff into animation without making any sort of changes

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't feel like Klaus, Dog Hummer, or Zapp really got to stand out this season, except for little bits in other characters' focus episodes or team-centric ones. like i'm super glad this was Chain's season and Stephen/Zed/KK each got a good ep, but it's not terribly balanced. especially when i feel like Klaus and Dog weren't really huge in s1 either. it would definitely take more than a season to get everyone up to speed but then...it feels like this one squandered some of the time it had to do that, since it just needed to build up the characters s1 underserved. i suppose those stories just don't exist in the manga yet to adapt so i can't reasonably complain?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

i don't feel like Klaus, Dog Hummer, or Zapp really got to stand out this season, except for little bits in other characters' focus episodes or team-centric ones. like i'm super glad this was Chain's season and Stephen/Zed/KK each got a good ep, but it's not terribly balanced. especially when i feel like Klaus and Dog weren't really huge in s1 either. it would definitely take more than a season to get everyone up to speed but then...it feels like this one squandered some of the time it had to do that, since it just needed to build up the characters s1 underserved. i suppose those stories just don't exist in the manga yet to adapt so i can't reasonably complain?

Funnily enough what you see of Doug and Hammer is about all there is of them. Klaus does has an excellent story focusing on him, that didn't make the cut this season sadly :sigh:.

The problem with balancing the stories is that it's not really the show's fault. The character-centric episodes of this season are stories that are set between the big action/event ones used in the first season.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i like season 2 more because it provides episodes from each character's perspective who you might not know anything about otherwise

example, in season 1 stephen and KK? went to kill a blood breed. still not sure if that was KK though because she hadn't had a real introduction at that point. contrast to now where she's had her own episode and now i think she's great

chain #1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Funnily enough what you see of Doug and Hammer is about all there is of them. Klaus does has an excellent story focusing on him, that didn't make the cut this season sadly :sigh:.

The problem with balancing the stories is that it's not really the show's fault. The character-centric episodes of this season are stories that are set between the big action/event ones used in the first season.

Broody and Hummer. (Bloody Hammer)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Funnily enough what you see of Doug and Hammer is about all there is of them.

Man this manga sounds like trash, IMO.

The Colonel posted:

i feel like season one is nightow adaptation a bit more in the vein of trigun where it takes all the crazy poo poo and just bends it a bit into something that works as a story, and this season is just what you get when you directly adapt nightow stuff into animation without making any sort of changes

Yeah that's a good way to explain it. This season makes the source feel like it just wants to be episodic adventures and honestly I just don't really care for that at all? It's fun but I want something slightly more substantial on the whole. Season 1 just felt more like a developed idea for it.

And while we've gotten a few episodes focused entirely on side characters problems it still feels a bit more lacking. We got less Frampt and friends, less of Broody & Hummer (what seemed to be his episode this season was an episode for some new one shot character and Sonic), hell even the D-Listers got shafted. The fact that there's not more Lucky Abrams this season is actually criminal. As much as I like Chains the season has been kind of heavily weighted towards her to the slight detriment of the rest of the cast.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man this manga sounds like trash, IMO.

Yeah that's a good way to explain it. This season makes the source feel like it just wants to be episodic adventures and honestly I just don't really care for that at all? It's fun but I want something slightly more substantial on the whole. Season 1 just felt more like a developed idea for it.

And while we've gotten a few episodes focused entirely on side characters problems it still feels a bit more lacking. We got less Frampt and friends, less of Broody & Hummer (what seemed to be his episode this season was an episode for some new one shot character and Sonic), hell even the D-Listers got shafted. The fact that there's not more Lucky Abrams this season is actually criminal. As much as I like Chains the season has been kind of heavily weighted towards her to the slight detriment of the rest of the cast.

Femt. Yeah it just seems like this season has not adapted any of his stories. I know we see a few more of the Thirteen Kings and Femts posse in BtB however. So if a season 3 comes we may get more.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now that this season is almost over I can safely say I greatly enjoy the episodic manga stuff and the overarching plot of S1 was completely uninteresting by comparison.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 18, 2017

Aug 24, 2011

different strokes for different folks, i disliked the general pointlessness of white's story because it was an unfunny contrast to the rest of the show, which is very humorous

i feel like they could have told her story without making her a focus at any point until the end. now we're in the good part where you get self-contained stories to properly establish characters, which is also where an overarching narrative could make itself felt. maybe klaus is specifically looking for something to help fight blood breeds? idk i'm not a writer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Femt. Yeah it just seems like this season has not adapted any of his stories. I know we see a few more of the Thirteen Kings and Femts posse in BtB however. So if a season 3 comes we may get more.

There's an OVA adaptation of a story that has Femt in it. I think it was a manga dvd freebie or something?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

King of the Restaurant of Kings is the name of the OVA

it only just got english subs earlier this year and is pretty great. Femt/Leo get to team up again while everyone else is driven insane by delicious food

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

King of the Restaurant of Kings is the name of the OVA

it only just got english subs earlier this year and is pretty great. Femt/Leo get to team up again while everyone else is driven insane by delicious food

I just love that apparently the restaurant is so good even Femt would never do anything to harm it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

A fun ending to S2 and I liked how everything tied back to ep 1 of S1 and Leo's backstory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alder posted:

A fun ending to S2 and I liked how everything tied back to ep 1 of S1 and Leo's backstory.

Just another day in Hellsalem's Lot, running FOR YOU LIFE SHITSHITSHITSHIT.

Aug 24, 2011

"You got mugged?"

never change, show

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly a little disappointed with the killshot. I was really looking forward to seeing the manga version of it in motion.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Oh Snapple! posted:

Honestly a little disappointed with the killshot. I was really looking forward to seeing the manga version of it in motion.

Assuming you can see anything past the absurd epilepsy filter.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Klaus is a good Dad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

Assuming you can see anything past the absurd epilepsy filter.

The extent to which that loving thing tried to ruin this show is almost laudable tbh. Like goddamn.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That had cool parts but also extremely silly parts like Leo not dying instantly when being hit by six swords after the guy no longer cared about keeping him alive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

That had cool parts but also extremely silly parts like Leo not dying instantly when being hit by six swords after the guy no longer cared about keeping him alive.

The whole point was that he was overloading his Eyes to make sure he only got hit in non-lethal areas, both by helping himself see attack trajectories and loving with his enemy’s vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Klaus is a good Dad.

I'm glad of Leo's secret family.

• Locked thread