Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I remember talking myself out of the groupbuy for that when I saw it on some discord channel or whatever, and now I kinda regret it

I’d never learn to type on it properly, though. just too weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly it'd be an instant grab for me if they sold just the chassis and board and maybe keys. i can find my own caps

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they do sell them that way, you have to add keycaps extra if you want them

but I would not be confident in being able to source appropriate caps, myself. it’s weird poo poo

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Subjunctive posted:

I remember talking myself out of the groupbuy for that when I saw it on some discord channel or whatever, and now I kinda regret it

I’d never learn to type on it properly, though. just too weird

They haven't pre-sold all 500 of the R4 release yet... You'd be waiting, stuck in the same boat I am, though.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
day 3 with the koolertron and I'm starting to doubt if I can keep this gimmick up. but I must be strong

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvantum posted:

They haven't pre-sold all 500 of the R4 release yet... You'd be waiting, stuck in the same boat I am, though.

nnnnnnnnnnnooooooooo, must resist…

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

honestly the main thing about this keyboard that's throwing me off is it isn't split

that and the apostrophe/enter key issue

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
once you commit to split keyboard it's hard to go back

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

the REAL challenge for the 40% board is when I try to do some game dev this weekend :S

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok, sorry to report I've gone back to the Kinesis, my wrists started cramping up and well, that's no bueno

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
RIP it was a good run

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm still keeping it around. Thinking I might try replacing the switches as practice for making a custom board later

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you're not supposed to actually use those keyboards for typing a lot. they're for posting soft-lit photos of and making snobby youtubes about

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
i have an older style atreus and love the poo poo out of it at work. people are enamored by its small, compact design. the only downside is the lack of bluetooth for even more portability when on the go. are there any recent cool/good tiny ortholinear keyboard with bluetooth?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jonny 290 posted:

you're not supposed to actually use those keyboards for typing a lot. they're for posting soft-lit photos of and making snobby youtubes about

lol

yeah i keep wanting to get a kinesis. the shittiest job i ever had (maintaining chef cookbooks for openstack lomarf) also had an advantage 2 for me in my isocube and it was great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Freshwater Louie posted:

are there any recent cool/good tiny ortholinear keyboard with bluetooth?

probably not ready to go. usually this is kit territory

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
considering one of my options was to hack together an arduino-powered bluetooth converter, please show me the kits

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Not at all in the same zone as all your crazy keyboards, but I'm continuing to love my keychron K3 Pro. It is super easy to type on and very pretty.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

knox_harrington posted:

Not at all in the same zone as all your crazy keyboards, but I'm continuing to love my keychron K3 Pro. It is super easy to type on and very pretty.

There's a reason why some old school kit-built keyboard snobs look down on Keychron a bit. They make a great product that almost anyone can love and use, so how dare they make our cultish, niche hobby more "accessible".

/s

I love all four of my Keychron boards, and I might be getting a fifth. Debating trying Hall Effect switches, and it's between the Q1 HE and a Wooting 80 HE.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
friend bought a q1 he and loves it

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
keychron’s not bad, I had a K6. My only issue was the lighting seemed to revert to max rainbow every now and then which was kinda distracting.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290 posted:

friend bought a q1 he and loves it

Freshwater Louie posted:

considering one of my options was to hack together an arduino-powered bluetooth converter, please show me the kits

Honestly i'm no help here. Every time i start to think about getting a 40%, within five or six clicks i'm either in aliexpress hell, or on one of those terrible snob sites where everybody uses aircraft connectors on their curly keyboard cables and is asking me to pre-fund a group buy to pay for somebody's PCBWay order in advance. I don't gently caress with that scene, I just buy prebuilts or at worst hotswap 'insert the keys so we can dodge tariffs' boards.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

????

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i was thinking about replacing my work keyboard finally. been looking at somewhat simple things and i think i may settle on a varmilo of some sort

Jonny 290 posted:

in aliexpress hell

it's honestly amazing in there

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah AliExpress keyboard stuff is great and cheap enough that I don’t feel bad if I don’t build with it for a while or decide I don’t love it and it’s a backup-backup

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

lookin at the aurora sweep now hehe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

lookin at the aurora sweep now hehe

gettin worried about you

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk I already have the kinesis freestyle edge, I can always switch back. if I get another board I want it to be really different. think of it like tourism

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i've got a freestyle blue and it's Fine for a cheap membrane split thingamabob. one day i will win the powerball and get a big kinesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

looks like I can get all the parts for that keyb for $130ish...        tempting