Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Vincent Baker did not make Apocalypse World to try and create some base engine for more narrative focused games that he enjoyed. It was actually part of a ritual to empower George Miller to create Fury Road, using the creativity of thousands of players over a few years to make one really good 2 hour movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Due to a comical mix-up in the legalese involved in Fantasy Flight Games' inital contract for Edge of the Empire: A Star Wars Roleplaying Game, the only remaining canonical events in the star wars universe occur in that game setting.

The error was corrected for Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Shadowrun and Earthdawn were both originally set in the same thematic universe, with many of the dragons in Shadowrun being important named characters in Earthdawn. In 2001, FASA had intended to sell both properties to WizKids so as to maintain this connection. However, an intern playing around with some whiteout tape accidentally covered up most of the name, leaving WizKids to acquire Shadowrun and " lawn". Things got heated until FASA agreed to give ownership of Weisman's front yard to WizKids.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

In 1993, a student intern scribbled a penis on an unused Deckmaster template for the Magic:The Gathering card format. Unfortunately the actual final card template was lost right before printing. In a rush, Richard Garfield cobbled together another template from the card art and the vandalized Deckmaster template. Because all MTG cards need to be indistinguishable on the backside, the marking is still present and you can see traces of it to this day.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

In Apocalypse World, Vincent Baker encourages others to use his rules engine in different ways, hacking it for different settings and similar, only adding 'Powered by the Apocalypse' as a note that the rules were inspired by the Apocalypse engine.

This agreement is heavily modified from the original text, where Vincent called on challengers to 'sieze by force' the right to use his game engine. The games Monsterhearts, Spirit of 77 and DungeonWorld were all written after their respective writers beat Vincent in public boots of wrasslin', and to this day Vincent will write the foreword to your game of you can successfully best him at shin-kicking.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Fate actually is the system used by literally everything, including reality itself, but humanity is under a geas to not recognize it. The Evil Hat game is that geas breaking down slightly, caused by Fred Hicks kinslaying and attracting the attention of the Furies.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
The Dragonball Z Anime Adventure game was actually just a workout regime and two tickets to an island in the pacific. Most who used those plane tickets never returned. The one who did said they were forced to participate in a tournament to decide the fate of multiple universes. At its end, all other possible realities were deleted, leaving only one left. Sadly, this was the darkest timeline.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

(Man I am getting serious flashbacks to the Unknown Armies rumor threads from RPG.net)

The Baldur's Gate novels are canon over the games not because of WotC policy but because squirrels are in them at the same time as Elminster. Throne of Bhaal was turned into an expansion instead of a full game after Greenwood learned that the plot involved feeding Elminster to the hated, fictional creatures for being a useless prick throughout the entire saga and threatened to "financially skull-gently caress" Bioware unless it was cancelled.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 30, 2017

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
In the original Tomb of Horrors adventure, it was discovered that walking backwards into the exterior wall while crouching would cause adventurers to clip into Acererak's crypt, bypassing much of the module. Though a boon to speedrunners, this unintended exploit was eventually patched out in the 1978 rerelease, but found its way back in for the 1998 sequel, Return to the Tomb of Horrors, as a deliberate easter egg.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
(If you're referring to mine, Kavak, I'm just referencing the latest season of Dragon Ball Super, not trying to be Unknown Armies)

Gary Gygax never actually died. Nor did he live. He was simply a myth spread around the time of a glowing, jovial figure who liked games to shepard in an industry. While articles were written in his name as are many games, those were written by a series of ghosts writers who were paid to create the myth. Most historical evidence suggestions that Dungeons and Dragons came about organically as a result of business decisions in the Wargaming Industry as an attempt to sell products to children.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Zoro posted:

(If you're referring to mine, Kavak, I'm just referencing the latest season of Dragon Ball Super, not trying to be Unknown Armies)

Gary Gygax never actually died. Nor did he live. He was simply a myth spread around the time of a glowing, jovial figure who liked games to shepard in an industry. While articles were written in his name as are many games, those were written by a series of ghosts writers who were paid to create the myth. Most historical evidence suggestions that Dungeons and Dragons came about organically as a result of business decisions in the Wargaming Industry as an attempt to sell products to children.

This of course explains why so many of the articles written in his name express seemingly contradictory viewpoints.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Conversely Kevin Siembieda never wanted his name attached directly to Palladium. This is why he hired an extensive team of writers. But inevitably these writers felt guilty that Kevin did the majority of the work on a book, refused pay, and insisted he take the credit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Despite popular belief, Zak "Sabbath" Smith does not actually exist. He is a collective delusion created by the roleplaying industry. He is simply the "ideal" version of evil in the tabletop roleplaying hobby. A perfect encapsulation of everything we attribute to a "bad person" or "bad player" in the context of the tabletop roleplaying hobby. One cannot be mistaken, though. This level of collective delusion is very serious and can lead to real hurt, as it has. While most of this can be explained with simple psychology, some preternatural explanations do exist as well. For example, Zak Smith was able to manifest in flesh to attend public events. This would stand in contrast to reality of his non-existence, but this is actually a very rare known phenomenon where our collective consciousness can will evil into existence. The most famous example is Donald Trump who was willed into existence by the collective racism, homophobia, trans-phobia, class-warfare, general bigotry and hatred of the American people. He was not only given flesh, but elected to their highest seat of office. As stated before, these delusions can do real and lasting harm to our universe.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 3, 2017

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
FASA Corporation initially hired Ed Greenwood to write for Crimson Skies, but after receiving a first draft with eighty-two references to flying whorehouses and, more bafflingly, the city of "Neverwinter, Michigan" his contract was terminated.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Star Trek Adventures RPG license covers the animated series but not Discovery, so please look forward to a future published adventure starring a 50 foot tall clone of Spock and the only godlike being to have meddled with Earth's history that the Enterprise both got along with and didn't kill, the literal Devil Himself.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Star Trek Adventures RPG license covers the animated series but not Discovery, so please look forward to a future published adventure starring a 50 foot tall clone of Spock and the only godlike being to have meddled with Earth's history that the Enterprise both got along with and didn't kill, the literal Devil Himself.

You're phrasing this like it's a bad thing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but there's also a planet of women who steal men's life essences, and a furry on the bridge.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kavak posted:

You're phrasing this like it's a bad thing.

I am not! (They actually really do have the animated license and if they don't do a giant spock or space satan adventure I will write it myself.)

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
In Ravenloft, vampires and vampyres are technically two separate monsters. Vampyres have the vampire's mesmeric powers but, being mortal rather than undead, lack the traditional vampire's iconic weaknesses. The vampyre can be distinguished from the vampire on sight by its distinctive garb: black leather clothing and elaborate silver jewelry. Curiously enough, the vampyre's preferred climate/terrain is simply listed as "Denny's".

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Wizkids actually released BEST EVER! as a trial balloon to see if there would be any interest in such a setting. It had been loosely planned for a while, a SR 3rd ed source book even makes an oblique reference to elves preferring Urbanmechs.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Turns out we knew about the armies after all, they’re just a bunch of assholes.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Due to a printing error, dogs make up 35% of the entire population of Greyhawk. Any given NPC (be they blacksmith, priest, wizard, or duke) has a slightly greater than one-in-three chance of being a dog. While an attempt was made to correct this error for future editions, another mistake meant that it only clarified that 85% of these dogs are pugs.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Mark Rein Hagen once oversaw the development of an 'inverted frenzy' system for Mortal games. After dealing enough damage, the attacker would eventually give up and retreat, according to Hagen. Unfortunately the project was scrapped due to creative differences between MRH and other developers on the team that told him that was 'loving stupid.'

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Sion posted:

Mark Rein Hagen once oversaw the development of an 'inverted frenzy' system for Mortal games. After dealing enough damage, the attacker would eventually give up and retreat, according to Hagen. Unfortunately the project was scrapped due to creative differences between MRH and other developers on the team that told him that was 'loving stupid.'

:golfclap:

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
During the 90s heydays of Shadowrun popularity, WotC of course wanted to get in on that. Their attempt would eventually become d20 modern, released in 2002. The reason for the delay? Well.

The project was originally handed to their best setting writer, Ed Greenwood, who had the truly original idea of doing a future version of the Forgotten Realms* called "The Remembered Realms". A ream of material was written, art commissioned of Mt Rushmore and it's four Elminsters, but the project was eventually canned during focus testing and pre-layout reviews, when it turned out that Greenwood had written a fantasy version of the far flung future of the 1980s.

*No-one had the bravery to ask whether he had cribbed this from Earthdawn or if it was a coincidence.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
According to Volo's Guide to Monsters, the Forgotten Realms runs off Aristotelian biology, making humans, halflings, dwarves, and elves all a variety of featherless chicken. Half-orcs are explained as an imbalance in the humors.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Fuego Fish posted:

Due to a printing error, dogs make up 35% of the entire population of Greyhawk. Any given NPC (be they blacksmith, priest, wizard, or duke) has a slightly greater than one-in-three chance of being a dog. While an attempt was made to correct this error for future editions, another mistake meant that it only clarified that 85% of these dogs are pugs.

Ironically, dogs-inheriting-the-Earth game Pugmire would reproduce exactly the same printing error when copying its progenitor too closely. Rules as written, 85% of the Arthurian dog-knights are in fact stoats.

The remainder are ocelots.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The first edition of apocalypse world had controversy over get in someone’s face versus seize by force.
During the kick starter, and continuing to this day, additional moves are being released to transform every move into seize by force, including character generation. The idea that you might have to fight your GM for the playbooks is “totally ‘poc’”[sic].

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The entire adventure path The Fabulous Teapot of Elminster had to be recalled and rewritten after it was discovered that Ed Greenwood had lifted the plot from a 1957 issue of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, and much of the dialogue came from a selection of "Dear Penthouse" letters. Wizards of the Coast had to issue a partial apology when it was discovered that the "Dear Penthouse" letters were in fact Greenwood's own writing, submitted under several pseudonyms over the course of twenty years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
An early playtest draft for D&D Next was supposed to bring back THAC0, but Monte Cook left his coffee mug on top of the pages and Mearls couldn't read through the stains. This is why the 5th Edition PHB still has numerous references to descending AC, but trails off seemingly inexplicably whenever it tries to get to the actual numbers.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The only reason that the Forgotten Realms seems somewhat incoherent is that Ed Greenwood's undiagnosed face-blindness has kept him from ever realising that "Elminster" is a fairly common honorific, rather than a unique name.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Every single edition of forgotten realms backstory is leading towards a final confrontation between Elminster and an evil Elminster called Hellminster.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
In 1976, one year after Chaosium Inc. was founded, they accidentally let the rights to the Call of Cthulu and H.P. Lovecraft's works lapse for an afternoon.

During that time, the ability to use the name H.P. Lovecraft for commercial purposes was bought by a British table sauce manufacturer. Now, unable to use the name H.P. Lovecraft in reference to Howard Phillips, Greg Stafford, founder of Chaosium, declared that the H.P. that was referenced in all Chaosium products stood for Harley Pavidson Lovecraft. This legal arrangement stands to this very day.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
In Glorantha, the conflict between Sartar and the Lunar Empire is secretly caused by the inevitable conflict between the duck people and Lunar-associated Rabbits. As part of the cycle, starting from the conflict of Nysalor and Arquack in the first age, an angry duck person inevitably struggles to defeat a know-it-all Bunny, dragging the rest of Genertela into chaos and whacky hijinks, including episodes that parody existing stories where each of them inhabits an archetypal role (known to humans as Heroquests).

E: gently caress how did it take so long to think of the pun Gbunny

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
this is a repost but it's from the WoD thread years ago and too appropriate in response to wrestlepig's post not to share

---

This is a true story.

Once there was Ghost Wolf who just had no luck whatsoever. As a human he'd been small, not especially bright, bullied, and ostracized. All he had was a certain low cunning, an undefeatable sense of optimism, and a kind of mental and physical toughness that let him get back up again every time he fell down.

Even the First Change did little to change this; when he awoke to the first change a trickster spirit took notice of his rage and confusion and decided to toy with him. He chased it across rooftops that couldn't hold his weight, down alleys he could barely fit through, through sewers and over broken glass. When he awoke from his rage he smelled of liquid waste and he was cut and bruised from head to toe, and while the wounds would quickly regenerate, the memory of the spirit's mockery would not fade.

Rather than admit defeat, he made a vow to Luna to pursue the spirit as his sacred prey. He'd changed under the crescent moon, so he had the means to sense and track the spirit, but he had no pack, and no Wolf had found him after his change since he'd killed no one and not left much evidence beyond property damage. The spirit was faster than he was, more experienced, and smarter.

The second time he chased it, he nearly managed to catch it by luring it into an area he knew well, where he could take shortcuts and back routes it wouldn't anticipate, but at the last minute the spirit found a weak point in the Gauntlet -- a graffiti mural of a beautiful landscape, that resonated with the (too often frustrated) hopes and dreams of the neighborhood's inhabitants -- and fled through it to the Shadow. The Wolf was right behind the spirit, and he flung himself into the opening as it disappeared ahead of him, but he was still far too human and for him the mural was nothing but a brick wall.

Frustrated, the Wolf reached out to the only ally he had, an eccentric Acanthus mage who dabbled in the realm of Spirit from time to time. The mage devised a trap, a magic circle drawn in special chalk that would capture any spirit that crossed its boundary. The Wolf waited impatiently for the mage to complete his project, and as soon as he was done he thanked him, took the chalk and the diagram, and set out to test his new tool against the wily spirit.

By now he was familiar with the spirit's favorite haunts, so he picked out a secluded stretch of highway where he knew the spirit liked to bedevil travelers. He hid the circle around a bend in the road where it wouldn't be obvious until it was too late. He was confident he could drive the spirit here, that even if he couldn't catch up to it, he could exploit its overconfidence. He waited, and soon enough he heard the distant telltale hum, barely audible even to his predatory senses, that heralded the spirit's arrival. He hid until he saw a shimmer in the air, the telltale sign of the spirit's passing, then let loose a howl and began the pursuit.

The spirit fled down the highway just as he expected. He shifted to near-wolf form, loping after it on all fours, his blood burning in his veins, the thrill of the hunt greater than ever before. The whole world seemed to fade away until it was just him and his prey, and nothing else mattered. The spirit rounded the corner, and he followed, just in time to see it screech to a halt and turn to look behind. He leapt, imagining how its ephemera would taste between his fangs... and crashed headlong into an invisible wall inches away from where the spirit stood. The spirit had seen the trap in time, and avoided it, and with no pack to teach him the Wolf had never realized that he was half-spirit himself. He shifted and raged, and tore at the boundary, but it was no use; he could not escape.

The spirit stood silently, watching him. It stepped daintily up to the very edge of the circle, rustled its iridescent plumage, looked him in the eye, and said:

"MEEP MEEP."

• Locked thread