Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

khwarezm posted:

Now they should add two more cosmetics slots.
Stackable hats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

khwarezm posted:

To save performance, the two new cosmetic slots are only active for some players on each server. Compete to earn the right to fashion! Cosmetic slot three will unlock for the ten players with the most Australium Points on the server, and cosmetic slot four will unlock for the top three. To earn Australium Points, dominate players or win matches while you have an active Professional Status. You can activate Professional Status for 24 hours by using consumable Mann Co. Wristbands, which can be purchased from the store, or won in five-packs in the latest crates.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 20, 2024

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thank god that will never happen.

There's no way they're going to put in that much work

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm pretty sure nobody will actually complain but since it never hurts to ask, is it cool if I type a bunch of words about the shortstop? And also include a bunch of numbers? Really it's the formatting that'd be the bigger issue from a browsing standpoint, I'm definitely not breaking out excel for this.

I've been running an experiment basically nonstop since I asked about redeeming a warpaint strange a couple months ago. The two month point was actually several days ago but I got caught up doing other, actually important stuff in the intervening time. After I got my painted strange, I got a funny idea and said hell with it, it's only a few bucks more, may as well grab a strange wrap assassin and flying guillotine too since I could gauge my progress with them over time and see how well the whole loadout works.

I've played a ton of TF2 in that time. Like it was pretty much what I played exclusively. As in hundreds of hours of "playtime", which still translated to many, many hours of actual game time, all with the scout and all with this particular equipage. To some small success, I think. The shortstop in question made it to server-clearing status, which would probably be embarassing for a good player but I feel like I did pretty good. In that time, it's amazing how much I improved. It's also amazing how much I still suck. The weirdest thing is I either did/do great (relatively speaking) or terrible in a given match; either the whole thing clicked and I was murdering pubbies commendably or I'd get my rear end kicked with almost nothing to show for it.

It's not actually very scientific (I could have been a lot more rigorous with it, the first few weeks I just kept up a week-end tally. It was almost an afterthought I had at the first weeks anniversary) and I'm definitely not capable of weighing in as a pro or even really a competent player, but I do think the experience has to count for something and at this juncture I think for the short term I probably gained a lot more experience than most using these. Given how unpopular the SS is and how it was all I used, it's entirely possible I used it more than most everybody else during that time and the full loadout even more likely. In any case I would like to weigh in with a few opinions on it, with a focus on the shortstop in particular. There's actually a few things I diverge with popular opinion on so it's not like it's going to be a 1:1 repeat of conventional wisdom and stuff you've heard before. Obviously keep in mind that I suck a lot and what ended up working for me the best probably wouldn't be necessary or even useful for better players but it sometimes payed off for me

I know it's waaaay too late in the game's life for effortposting probably, so that's why I decided to ask first. Truth told I'm a little burned out and am probably going to take a break for a spell, so I wanted to write this up while the experiences were still fresh in my mind. By all means ask any questions you want and I'll try to answer them too. There was actually an ulterior motive for running this but I mostly stuck with it because I found it pretty drat fun when it worked. And also immensely frustrating when it didn't.

e: all pubs or Uncletopia, no strange farming
e2: forgot to post the 2 month numbers :doh: 2588/683/519

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 21, 2024

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010

khwarezm posted:

genuinely they should let you equip as many medals as possible

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

:justpost: its always fun when someone argues against orthodoxy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wanna hear more defense of the Shortstop, it’s such a weird interesting design.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the shortstop is in an odd place. you have to play differently than you do with the other scatterguns and take conservative mid range fights instead of point blank two shot fights. it also really benefits from fixed spread being on because it gets a tight cross formation that complements its mid range shtick. the damage and fast reloading lets you be respectably threatening and annoy the poo poo out of soldiers by fighting them at a range where their rockets are actually dodgeable. The problem is that, while this is still good and strong and you can accomplish things, I would say that it is ultimately harder, worse, and less satisfying than just using the regular scattergun. I did it a lot for a while purely to make soldier mains lives worse but at the end of the day when I play scout I want to get up in people's faces and then delete them fast and the shortstop just doesn't do that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The short stop shove is maybe the weirdest and worst late addition to the weapons roster.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love seeing people talk about Scout weapons so please effortpost. Honestly, I feel like the majority of scout primaries are undervalued. I feel like this is mostly because the playerbase refuses to use differing playstyles, and also only seems to consider things in an ideal situation with perfectly-skilled players.

I've been using the FAN a lot lately and have had great results after shifting my playstyle towards more hit and run tactics and taking unexpected angles with the extra mobility. Yeah it's worse than the scattergun when it comes to prolonged fights, so just don't get into those! The common consensus for the FAN I see online for these situations is "Soda Popper is better for burst damage" because the FAN pushback means the follow-up will deal less damage. In practice though, this usually isn't a major issue - and the increased initial damage usually more than makes up for it. People act like every scout is an aimgod who will always hit every meatshot at full damage, but that's realistically not the case - people are moving, they'll react to that first shot, etc. Even with the Soda Popper, against everyone except maybe a Heavy you're going to get the first meat shot, then the second will probably be at a bit of a distance and you probably won't hit every pellet. FAN makes that second shot much easier to hit due to the predictable knockback, and you'll probably wind up dealing more damage with a second mid-range FAN shot than a second mid-range Soda Popper / Scattergun shot. I'm bad at aiming, I miss a lot of follow-up shots, and the FAN makes that easier. Is the FAN a crutch, then? gently caress yeah it is! But that's fine because, again, not everyone is a competitive-level FPS player - I'm fine with a weapon that's a bit easier to use in exchange for not being as optimal, and I feel a lot of people handwave this fact.

I've also posted before about how I think the Baby Face's Blaster is underrated, and I think there's actually some merit to even the fuckin' Backscatter. These weapons may not be as good at the classic "meat shot and jump around" Scout playstyle, but if you adapt your strategies they can be very effective and fun!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Back when my twitch reflexes were good enough to main scout I would occasionally do shortstop + bonk to do rear line harassment. Being able to pepper people at midrange and disengage easily is a big asset when you invested a lot of time getting to a relatively safe area to flank from; losing the easy 1-2 meatshot kill does hurt, but doing that gets you pasted very easily by enemies wandering up from behind you and that's usually not a favorable trade when you had to run all the way from your spawn to their rear area.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly, I feel like the majority of scout primaries are undervalued. I feel like this is mostly because the playerbase refuses to use differing playstyles, and also only seems to consider things in an ideal situation with perfectly-skilled players.

See, I like the Scattergun specifically because I'm not a perfectly skilled player in an ideal circumstance. All the others broadly have too many knobs and doodads that require you to jump through hoops for better-than-stock results. Stock has enough shots in the clip that missing isn't a big deal. It does enough damage by default that I can kill high value targets with relative ease. It doesn't restrict my mobility in or out of fights so I can dodge stray projectiles or take Scout-friendly shortcuts without issue. It's like the stock rocket launcher - splash damage and 4 rockets lets me be worse and still get good results.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Milo and POTUS posted:

e: all pubs or Uncletopia, no strange farming
e2: forgot to post the 2 month numbers :doh: 2588/683/519

Oh good I'm not the only person who synced their stranges. Years ago (og axtinguisher era) I just reset a degreaser/flare/axtinguisher because I felt like I was going for axtinguisher kills so much that it would end up being close to the degreaser itself in numbers. And even then this wasn't the case. (Right now my numbers are 68,365/29,810/6,925 with 20,000+ of the flare kills being crit kills)

Every time one of those weapons got rebalanced I reset them again and at one point was using the rake instead of the axtinguisher for that period where they really made it garbage.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love seeing people talk about Scout weapons so please effortpost. Honestly, I feel like the majority of scout primaries are undervalued. I feel like this is mostly because the playerbase refuses to use differing playstyles, and also only seems to consider things in an ideal situation with perfectly-skilled players.

Given how many things got added to this game and how haphazardly some of the later additions felt I think the game overall is still really well balanced in the sense that while there's still a lot of "item X is the best item for this slot on this class" few alternatives are so much worse that somebody on your own team using them feels like they're making it impossible to win. (Rocket jumper and arguably full demoknights (usually) are about the only exceptions). Shortstop and FaN are good examples of being worse than stock as a whole, but they both open up opportunities in common enough situations where the scattergun is less than ideal. I've got more than 3000 hours in pyro now and those two weapons on a good scout can make them way harder to deal with individually. Shortstop users can take their time killing me compared to stock, but often when they do get that kill they peppered me from a far enough range that I was forced to shoot flares to be able to inflict any damage.

FaN's knockback is similar in shoving pyros away enough that retaliating becomes a very uphill battle. Any missed flare is basically a death sentence.

And like the last post says about harassing from the backlines, average TF2 player will happily chase one cheeky player in the opposite, regardless of class and how dangerous it is for them to be there. It's great being on defense on a map like Frontier and getting multiple players to chase all the way back to first when their team is trying to push last. Kill someone at spawn, give them a 10 second respawn. Get them to chase you for 30 seconds, finally kill, and then taunt, and that's a lot of time spent not participating in the payload part of a payload map.

Most players seem way to focused in the numbers game rather than the "are we pushing forward to win the game" game. I will forever remember this pyro that got mad at me for killing them with the degreaser when they pulled out the panic attack which they told me has superior DPS and I was a noob for not using it. Thank you man who died, I will consider this advice.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Countblanc posted:

See, I like the Scattergun specifically because I'm not a perfectly skilled player in an ideal circumstance. All the others broadly have too many knobs and doodads that require you to jump through hoops for better-than-stock results. Stock has enough shots in the clip that missing isn't a big deal. It does enough damage by default that I can kill high value targets with relative ease. It doesn't restrict my mobility in or out of fights so I can dodge stray projectiles or take Scout-friendly shortcuts without issue. It's like the stock rocket launcher - splash damage and 4 rockets lets me be worse and still get good results.

Yeah, it isn't wrong to say that people are adverse to using other playstyles, but part of that is that the stock playstyle is more versatile than what the alternatives tend to ask for.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Countblanc posted:

i was bored so i watched that History of The Scout video from a week ago and it has brennon murphy, daniel, and orzo in it lol. LCs never die

I started chipping away at this and instantly recognized one of my own videos being used at 1:20:19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVw6SFik1Us

I always used pocket pistol then for the health boost but it was extremely funny when the no fall damage was noticeably relevant.

The idea of a video saying "15 extra Health on scout was much more impactful than it sounds. At least for those that were good with the class" while showing footage is me is hilarious. I have never been a good scout.

I think this one is from the LCs going by the date and seeing it's before gullywash was an official map. There's no voice indicators or killfeed visible. Who did I own here? I'm glad I did the correct thing and taunted for future historians to appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't think of any notable demoknight players from that era so I'm going to say "windyman offclassing" since it's the funniest option