Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

This thread is for serious conversations about the issues facing our fantasy worlds. It doesn't matter if you're a gravedigger in Waterdeep, a private dick on the mean streets of Sharn, an infomorph in the Jovian Republic or a Son of Ether in Detroit, this is where we discuss the things that really matter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all know how it works. You're a member of a goblin mining outfit and your neighbors are a bunch of orc bandits, a mated pair of basilisks and a gray render all on the first level of your cozy little dungeon. Things are good, the adventurers who come by aren't too tough, you can dig out little bits of treasure and life is simple but also it's good. You're getting by. Then, all of a sudden, from below a bunch of trolls roll upstairs and drive out the orc bandits. Then they eat the basilisks. Next thing you know the gray render is gone, and now the trolls are coming around, taking your people in the night. They fight off the local adventurers, even kill a few of them. They killed Mialee! You knew Mialee, she came to your daughter's wedding! So then the tougher adventurers show up and the trolls get murdered. Fire and smoke, it smells like rear end for a few days, but hey at least they're gone, right? But now you have these level 8 assholes breathing down your neck, taking your stuff and leaving you without a pot to piss in! Then they leave, the adventurers stay clear for a while, and the troll corpses attract some carrion crawlers, maybe even a bulette. So now there's even more dangerous poo poo right outside your little camp and you can't even let your kids take a stroll over to the crypt to gather bonedust anymore!

And this goes on, with badder adventurers in shinier armor showing up to kill the bigger monsters that come up from the depths. And then one day you're slaving away in the rat's nest of tunnels, fighting off kobolds for gold nuggets to take to your new dragon master. There's all these new guys, selling organic bottled artisanal ochre jelly and free-range mana-free roper tentacles. You can't afford to eat anymore, certainly not with the tribute you have to pay to the dragon. And when he gets tired of you, where do you think you'll end up? Out on your rear end, that's where! You try to look for another place to stay in your dungeon, but it's all been bought up by illithid mages and big city necroputer engineers. Your family has lived in this dungeon for three generations! This has got to stop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm just saying we need tougher restrictions on people immigrating to reality after having endured the torment of the fey realms.

They're not sending their best. They're violent, paranoid, angry, some of them feed on fear...and some of them, I assume, are good people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Electing Davis Chenault King was the worst idea.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's really important is that we need expanded legal rites for the dead. What I do in my coffin is my own goddamn business. And you know what shouldn't be legal? So-called dungeoncrawling, which is just home invasion against socially acceptable targets.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

What's really important is that we need expanded legal rites for the dead. What I do in my coffin is my own goddamn business. And you know what shouldn't be legal? So-called dungeoncrawling, which is just home invasion against socially acceptable targets.

On the contrary, we should dispense of all rights relating to the remains of the deceased. We could create a post-scarcity society right now by using undead labor.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The Necroprogrammer's guild supports this call for increased undead labor. The debugging teams have been killing ankhegs at an excellent rate but collateral damage does occur to the RAM.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Undead rights is a real can of worms that walk. Does an intelligent flesh golem get the vote for all the people they're made from? And we'll have to either bar liches from public office or set term limits to prevent undead legislators from amassing power over centuries.

Serf
May 5, 2011

All these Elf Lives Matter protesters are clearly paid by George Souroboros.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

All these Elf Lives Matter protesters are clearly paid by George Souroboros.

no one ever talks about elf on elf crime, AKA 90% of the world's history before humans were made.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

sexpig by night posted:

no one ever talks about elf on elf crime, AKA 90% of the world's history before humans were made.

Look at this Primal-Denialist. Before the elves came the elementals had a thriving culture that was completely covered up by the modern elf state. There was life before Elves!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm afraid this is just the price we have to pay to live in an adventurous society. And honestly, if the goblins have a problem with it, why don't they just level up like the rest of us? Go stab some basement rats, get yourself some class levels and start your own adventuring party like the rest of us.

Actually, on second thought, that's a terrible idea.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I've heard St. Cuthbert's is funding the creation of girdles of femininity/masculinity - I think this is a real step forwards, and I hope the process can be refined to avoid that annoying 1 in 10 chance.

Serf
May 5, 2011

can't wait for Uktar 4th when millions of antima supersoldiers will behead all magical parents and small shop owners in the town square

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Make Netheril Great Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

Electing Davis Chenault King was the worst idea.

Burner the Red Dragon would've won

• Locked thread