Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Problem description: As of about a month ago, whenever I shut down or reboot my computer, maybe 50% of the time the whole system will boot completely normally except that my monitor won't detect a signal and switch on. This even happens sometimes when I install a new GPU driver and the display turns off for a second. Turning the monitor itself off/on doesn't trigger the issue so I'm relatively sure the monitor is fine, it's relatively new as well while my computer is about 6 years old. This seems to be less likely to happen if the PC's been off all night and I'm turning it on in the morning, for example but that could just be a coincidence.

I'm having a possibly-related issue where sometimes during a game (and once while I was just on the desktop running Discord) my display will switch off and I think the GPU crashes, the CPU doesn't crash though. It's accompanied by the windows error beep (which I can't see) and my fans suddenly going full blast which is particularly strange. Usually need to manually use the power switch at that point to get it back. The whole thing is bewildering.

Attempted fixes: The things I've tried have been limited to just trying to wait 60 seconds before powering up, it seems to help a little but still the monitor doesn't pick up every time. I've also tried plugging the DVI cable into the motherboard, using HDMI instead of DVI, plugging in both and trying to switch between them while booted, I don't really know what I'm doing.

Due to my terrible bespoke ultra-compact computer case (it was a gift :unsmith: ) I can't easily get inside my computer, which is why I haven't tried more things myself just yet. When I say "can't easily" I mean it's pretty much impossible for me, a novice without special tools - you have to remove the power supply and both fans to access the hard drives, or GPU, for example. None of the screwdrivers I have are long or narrow enough to get into the extremely small allowances inside this case plus the company that made this computer doesn't even have the diagrams anymore. The one time I tried to get someone to walk me through switching out a hard drive, the guy had to try his best to go off memory. That's why I haven't yet tried the commonly suggested "clean out your contacts, re-seat your GPU/ram/power supply" yet, because I'd need to pay someone to do it for me probably. I did get the thing professionally cleaned out about a year ago though.

Recent changes: Nothing I can think of.

--

Operating system: Win7 Home Premium

System specs: http://tinyurl.com/y79av4pp

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Given the difficulty opening your case, you should try a different monitor and cable first.

Does your computer have an onboard graphics port you can try?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.

Dr Cox MD posted:

Given the difficulty opening your case, you should try a different monitor and cable first.

Does your computer have an onboard graphics port you can try?

Actually, as an update to my issue I've kinda ruled out the monitor issue because I think I've cleared it up simply by recovering from crashes in a better way, instead of using the power switch like an idiot I've started just holding down the power button which I actually didn't know about.

Since then this hasn't happened, leading me to believe it's got something to do with the GPU (which the monitor is plugged into) not coming back after a crash by the time the CPU is ready to boot. I've still got the occasional but unreproducible crash issue but I'll probably close the thread now.

Thanks for the reply though.

• Locked thread