Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I've recorded an album (folk-ish kind of thing), and I'm preparing to release it. I want to make sure the album art looks professional and intriguing, without being much more than a simple headshot. Please give me any critiques you have.

[Redacted]

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekgb
May 8, 2005

Komitet Gosudarstvennoy Bezopasnosti: Still watching you!
Baby don't hurt me...

Edit: Sorry!

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009
I like it, you avoided wearing the depression era clothes that most neo-folkies seems to favor

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

thekgb posted:

Baby don't hurt me...

Edit: Sorry!

Haha. Warranted.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Muscadine Wine posted:

I like it, you avoided wearing the depression era clothes that most neo-folkies seems to favor

Probably not folky enough for that. More like faulk.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I probably wouldn't buy this but I'm not into folk music.... that's my critique

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Is it going to be sold on the counter at Starbucks?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

You guys are too much

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm not too familiar with typical folk album art, but this looks neither professional nor intriguing. The photo is poor. It looks like a rejected selfie. And that military style font looks quite amateurish.

Not trying to be a dick, just my honest opinion.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm not too familiar with typical folk album art, but this looks neither professional nor intriguing. The photo is poor. It looks like a rejected selfie. And that military style font looks quite amateurish.

Not trying to be a dick, just my honest opinion.

No, it's good - thanks for the honest feedback. I figure I need to do *something* differently with it, but I don't know what. Getting a new photo is something I'm not looking forward to, but it might be necessary.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Because I'm bored at work. I don't think you have to do too much to make it more intriguing. Maybe just something like this:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Because I'm bored at work. I don't think you have to do too much to make it more intriguing. Maybe just something like this:

Awesome, thanks for the mockup. It's not quite in the direction I want to go, but I really do appreciate getting other ideas to work with. You gave me the idea that maybe a very sharp photo isn't what I want.

e. Neat, and now the thumbnail in the post I quoted is telling me that I should experiment with adding a thin colored border.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Image firstly suggests to me that you're blind because your eyes are closed. Possibly a weird comment but usually the only time a person's eyes are closed on an album cover like that are because the singer is blind.

Andrea Bocelli, Jeff Healey, Doc Watson, Nobuyuki Tsujii, Blind Willie McTell, Moondog. All have their eyes closed on their covers because they're blind.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Image firstly suggests to me that you're blind because your eyes are closed. Possibly a weird comment but usually the only time a person's eyes are closed on an album cover like that are because the singer is blind.

Andrea Bocelli, Jeff Healey, Doc Watson, Nobuyuki Tsujii, Blind Willie McTell, Moondog. All have their eyes closed on their covers because they're blind.

That is a really good point. Thanks

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

I came up with a few more drafts, and I'm leaning toward this one:

[Redacted]

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 16, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

well why not

• Locked thread