Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Five-hundred years ago today, Martin Luther (allegedly) nailed his ninety-five theses to the door of Wittenberg's Castle Church.

As one can imagine, this episode caused a bit of a kerfuffle. After hearing about the incident involving the theses, Pope Leo X gave Martin Luther sixty days to appear in Rome to answer to the charge of heresy. Martin Luther responded by calling the Pope the antichrist. The Pope excommunicated him. Luther responded by burning the papal order before a large crowd.

Seeking to avoid further conflict (and recognizing that Martin Luther was too popular to execute outright), the Pope called for a diet—a meeting of officers, sacred and secular—in Worms and gave Martin Luther one last chance to recant. Martin Luther responded with:

quote:

Since then your serene majesties and your lordships seek a simple answer, I will give it in this manner, plain and unvarnished: Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the scriptures or clear reason, for I do not trust in the Pope or in the councils alone, since it is well known that they often err and contradict themselves, I am bound to the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not retract anything.

Much later, eight million people died due to the Thirty Years' War and an additional three million died during the French Wars of Religion. Much, much later, Luther's vicious and flamboyant antisemitism set the stage for other horrific abuses.

The questions, then, are as follows:
  • Are there any modern lessons that can be derived from the Protestant Reformation and its aftermath?
  • What role did Martin Luther and similar reformers play in developing the modern world?
  • How should the Protestant Reformation (and the Counter-Reformation) be viewed today?
  • What should the initially dominant Catholic Church have done differently and was it even possible to contain the cycle of violence that consumed Europe?

This thread might be a bad idea given D&D's usual approach to religion, but it is a topic I have been thinking about lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

protestants are somewhat better than the idolatrous, crypto-pagan catholics, but of course we all know the one true god is allah and mohammed is his prophet

• Locked thread