Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Nazi-punching time!

So, we finally get to the Freedom Force fighting against the Third Reich. This is where things get really wacky.

In this particular Freedom Force, the vignettes for the additional heroes don't lead to a particular mission, do they? In the original, they'd only do them as heroes were introduced into the mission. Here, it's, "Here's a new hero, if you want to try them out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This game's pretty light on new characters, so there are definitely far less origin story cutscenes overall.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, the core cast doesn't change very much from the first game, and all of them get a brief intro right at the start. And I think that they all remain relevant to the events in this game. Minuteman and Alchemiss for certain, and Mentor is always at least in the background.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hi everybody I got a new hard drive and a new OS

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
This is par for the course in modding games really. On the bright side, Liz says that he actually did some audio editing today, so maybe expect episode 6 sometime before the turn of the century?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well before!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:allears: This is basically a Tombstone episode, and it's amazing.

Oh, and since I mentioned it during the episode, here's a picture of my attempt to recreate Tombstone in Warframe. Couldn't give him the white mask because the face shares colours with the body. Also made him some suitable pistols and punchy weapons to go with the look.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think Tombstone is the one character that is pre-picked and compulsory for these missions. The other two can be anyone.

Interesting thing about Black Jack's bio is that it also introduces Blitzkrieg... kind-of. Honestly, I assumed that Black Jack kills off the professor because Blitzkrieg used his mental powers to keep Jack from attacking taking action against himself. Since Jack couldn't attack Blitzkrieg, he attacks the professor instead.

This game has very dark undertones, despite being so bright and cheerful.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

And now, an ode to the mods we've lost.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Character Corner

Strength: 5
Speed: 5
Agility: 5
Endurance: 6
Energy: 4

Traits: Heavy Lifter, Wall Climbing

Lizwiz: Heavy Lifter lets ol' Ant Boy out-throw even Minuteman, and he gets a melee version of Repulsion to boot. If Green Genie is the magical shenanigans hero, this is the physical one.
Eevee: Our friendly neighbourhood burrower is still quite a fun pick, thanks to the wacky physics engine. He's well grounded.
Games: what do the antennae do

Strength: 3
Speed: 5
Agility: 6
Endurance: 4
Energy: 4

Traits: Nimble, Heroic

Lizwiz: Note that Black Jack's Agility is effectively 9 due to Nimble. Also note that he has no loving moves.
Eevee: I've seen better card-themed superheroes.
Games: his legs are shaped kinda funny
Lizwiz: The thighs are just awful.

Strength: 5
Speed: 3
Agility: 2
Endurance: 6
Energy: 5

Traits: Invertebrate, Jumper

Lizwiz: Carefully hand-picked traits ensure that Frosty here is resistant to an element we could not possibly have access to. Thanks.
Eevee: Ah, I love silly remnants of game development.
Games: it's world-building through game mechanics

Strength: 3
Agility: 2
Endurance: 2
Energy: 1

Traits: Timid

Lizwiz: An absolutely toothless enemy.
Eevee: There's a joke here about them getting all those teeth punched out, but I'm not the comedic expert here.
Games: what's in the satchel?

Strength: 6
Agility: 3
Endurance: 7
Energy: 5

Traits: Flier, Density Control, Ponderous

Lizwiz: You've got two ways past his shield: the piercing damage of Black Jack's bullets, or the extremely mild crushing damage of Green Genie's physics move.
Eevee: Ah yes, the "you will use this character and like it" boss. Is Black Jack dead already? Well, sucks to be you!
Games: i like to think i'm also ponderous

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Still alive and kicking, just been going through a lot of procrastination stuff lately. Content soon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'll be honest, between the difficulty of this game and a number of scheduling hiccups, I'm afraid this LP is just plain out of gas. I encourage anyone who was entertained by my endeavors to seek out and play this game.

It's been fun. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PS: Alchemiss goes full Phoenix and ends up being the final boss, then erases herself from time because she realizes existence would be better off without her

then we find out energy x is a person and there's no freedom force 3. gently caress you ken levine

• Locked thread