Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Problem description: Last week I got up in the morning and heard a loud pop from my machine, although it was in stand-by mode. The machine will no longer turn on.

Attempted fixes: After Googling, the most common answers were that it was probably a PSU issue, so I ordered a replacement and put it in to no avail. Still the computer wouldn't start. I ordered a new motherboard and put it in, also to no avail. Still the machine won't power on.

Recent changes: About a month ago, I replace my defective video card

--

Operating system: Windows 10, 64-bit

System specs:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+, 1000W
SSD: 2x Crucial MX200 1TB
RAM: 4x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K
Blu-Ray: LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray disc
Mobo: MSI ATX Z97 Gaming 5
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580
Case: MasterCase Pro 5 Mid-Tower Case

Replacement Pieces:
PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ Gold 1000W
Mobo: ASRock Z97 Pro4

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I Googled which led me to replace those parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

PSU and GPU would've been my first bet as well. A PSU failing can potentially damage other components as well.

Have you tried it with just the bare essentials? PSU, motherboard, cpu (with cooler), one stick of RAM and just a keyboard and a monitor attached.
Preferably on a non-conductive surface like the box your motherboard came in (not the antistatic bag!) to rule out the case as well.

If this works, you can start adding components one-by-one until you find which one is faulty.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Geemer posted:

PSU and GPU would've been my first bet as well. A PSU failing can potentially damage other components as well.

Have you tried it with just the bare essentials? PSU, motherboard, cpu (with cooler), one stick of RAM and just a keyboard and a monitor attached.
Preferably on a non-conductive surface like the box your motherboard came in (not the antistatic bag!) to rule out the case as well.

If this works, you can start adding components one-by-one until you find which one is faulty.

It took me a while, but I was able to take everything out of the case and test the parts. I didn't have a flat head screwdriver so I used a phillps head and got the fans to flick on for a second. It sounds like if that's the issue, I should replace my case, right?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bridging the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver (or any piece of metal really) should be just the same as pressing the power button, so it should've stayed on rather than just pulsing the fans for a second.

If you can't get to the bios setup with just the bare minimum components, I'm afraid your motherboard would be next on the list of things to consider replacing. Make sure to try each stick of RAM individually.
If you have second computer to test with or a friend that will let you test some components in their system, that could help rule out some parts too.

But if you get it fully up and running outside of the case there might have been something wrong with the case.

Usual suspects are things falling between the case and motherboard, creating a short. Or the motherboard not being mounted on the standoffs properly and just shorting out against the case. Though those are things you usually encounter right after a new build.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Geemer posted:

Bridging the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver (or any piece of metal really) should be just the same as pressing the power button, so it should've stayed on rather than just pulsing the fans for a second.

If you can't get to the bios setup with just the bare minimum components, I'm afraid your motherboard would be next on the list of things to consider replacing. Make sure to try each stick of RAM individually.
If you have second computer to test with or a friend that will let you test some components in their system, that could help rule out some parts too.

But if you get it fully up and running outside of the case there might have been something wrong with the case.

Usual suspects are things falling between the case and motherboard, creating a short. Or the motherboard not being mounted on the standoffs properly and just shorting out against the case. Though those are things you usually encounter right after a new build.

So I tried again with each RAM stick separately out of the case and I still get the single pulse on the fan before it flickers off. I tried with the old motherboard from before and the new motherboard I bought special to test my parts with. Is it possible that it's the processor?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's possible. A failing PSU can send out some surges and fry random components.

The only way to test is by getting another CPU. Since you bought another motherboard to test with, you can be fairly certain you've got at least one good one.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Geemer posted:

It's possible. A failing PSU can send out some surges and fry random components.

The only way to test is by getting another CPU. Since you bought another motherboard to test with, you can be fairly certain you've got at least one good one.

How would I know if I had a failing PSU? I was getting the same results more or less with the old PSU and the replacement PSU with the flickering fans.

At this point, would I be better off upgrading my CPU, mobo, and RAM (if needed)?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The only real way to test a PSU is with a test bench that can put loads on it, unfortunately. Measuring the voltages it puts out with a multi-meter isn't reliable at all.

If you've got a brick-and-mortar store that does computer repair nearby, you might be able to sweet-talk them into popping your CPU into one of their test systems and see if it's still working. Otherwise, yeah, you might as well bite the bullet and do a new build.

Just a thought that occurred to me: You're sure you've connected all power cables to the motherboard, right? Including the 8-pin connector up near the CPU. Sometimes people (myself included) forget to connect that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah on both tests I’ve got the CPU power pins and the motherboard pins fully connected. I initially thought it was an issue with the cabling so I tried resetting both right away.

Since I also bought a replacement PSU, I’ll rerun the tests with the old PSU but I’m fairly confident that it was having the same issue. I’ll look into a brick and mortar that could have a test bench, I’m in NYC so you have to figure that someone’s got one!

• Locked thread