Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ned posted:

I think it is worth a lot more than that but if she sold now she still owes too much on the mortgage to show a profit.

That would make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

still, If you took that house and stuck it in a major Australian city, in a similar location relative to the city center you'd be adding a zero on the end of the price tag just about. Hell those apartments in Fiona's Building could go for 400K each. Houses in Chicago are cheap.

her house and apartments are no where near an ocean like your cities. Also she lives in the ghetto where most people don't want to live because they don't like getting robbed going to work everyday.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

her house and apartments are no where near an ocean like your cities. Also she lives in the ghetto where most people don't want to live because they don't like getting robbed going to work everyday.

We have poor neighborhoods too; I was factoring that in. I don't see the relevance of being near an ocean.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

We have poor neighborhoods too; I was factoring that in. I don't see the relevance of being near an ocean.

In America the closer you get to an ocean(at least the pacific) the more the houses cost. Also isn't livable space very limited in Australia compared to America? Her house is in the middle of america where they get the shittiest weather in the winter. The only thing where she lives has going for it is Chicago and even then that's not much as it's one of the highest cities to get murdered in iirc. Gets even worse if you move over to Destroit. You can pick up houses in the super ghetto for 20-30 grand. However I am not sure on their bedroom situation or square feet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That’s certainly interesting.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Holyshoot posted:

In America the closer you get to an ocean(at least the pacific) the more the houses cost. Also isn't livable space very limited in Australia compared to America? Her house is in the middle of america where they get the shittiest weather in the winter. The only thing where she lives has going for it is Chicago and even then that's not much as it's one of the highest cities to get murdered in iirc. Gets even worse if you move over to Destroit. You can pick up houses in the super ghetto for 20-30 grand. However I am not sure on their bedroom situation or square feet.

It only made me so much more ready to sell my house. Pacific/atlantic, the closer you are to the ocean, it's the same thing. My house is kinda jacked and my neighborhood is really good but if their house wasn't a set (so it looks bigger) I'd have exactly the same size house with weirdly the same layout with a 3rd floor/ finished basement and mine is $350,000 and my plumbing is all messed up. I want a house in Detroit LOL. I want a $200 mortgage goddamn son!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ughhh what a bad season. Even Lip’s resolution was disappointing. I thought if it blew up in his face it would be because Sierra found out that he’s the one who started the fight with her dad.

Remember when they brought Lea DiLaria on as Lip’s new sponsor and suggested he would warm up to her, and then she was never mentioned again? This season had Friday Night Lights levels of dropped plots.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

God why won't this terrible show just die

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The best part of the episode was Liam loving over Frank. To that I said "good for you, Liam" out loud. That was it. Everything else was continuation of blah.

So next season, looks like Lip will be working on the daddy skills, Karl will be fending off psychopath wife, we might have an Ian off his meds storyline again, maybe we'll go back to Fiona's love life as being her 'thing', Kev/V/Svet scamming old man, Debbie and Frank who knows.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Apparently Svetlana's actress is leaving the show

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Did Liam know he hosed Frank or did he change the code in his sleep?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

Did Liam know he hosed Frank or did he change the code in his sleep?

He intentionally gave him the wrong code

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Oh god, the porta potty 😨

Fiona slowly turning into a slumlord was the best part of this season. Gay Jesus was so stupid, is conversion therapy a hot topic in urban Chicago, really? Ian turning to some generic Christian churchy stuff? It was so hamfisted.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's been renewed for season 9 after the first ep drew the second best ratings of all 7 seasons. No clue if it held up the whole 12 eps ratings wise...It was pretty bad though, just not weeds or dexter late season level bad yet. Maybe they'll go to season 10 and call it? It's spinning wheels at this point.

edit: also the jump to liam being a talking character after 7 years was jarring af. maybe it was more intense with it being a totally different actor...this kid is great though, it's just reallllly weird.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 30, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hepscat posted:

Oh god, the porta potty 😨

Fiona slowly turning into a slumlord was the best part of this season. Gay Jesus was so stupid, is conversion therapy a hot topic in urban Chicago, really? Ian turning to some generic Christian churchy stuff? It was so hamfisted.

He memorized the Bible overnight and argued with that one preacher and now the entire world loves him, if only someone before him had thought to challenge Christian views on gays.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

It's been renewed for season 9 after the first ep drew the second best ratings of all 7 seasons. No clue if it held up the whole 12 eps ratings wise...It was pretty bad though, just not weeds or dexter late season level bad yet. Maybe they'll go to season 10 and call it? It's spinning wheels at this point.

edit: also the jump to liam being a talking character after 7 years was jarring af. maybe it was more intense with it being a totally different actor...this kid is great though, it's just reallllly weird.

When they cast a toddler as liam they had no way of predicting how things would end up 8 years later. They got lucky with Carl and Debbie - the actors they cast grew with the material - especially Ethan who I think has become a really good actor. They were able to give them larger and more complex roles as the kids got older. But it was pretty clear that the kids who had been playing liam weren't good actors (and from interviews I believe the kids were only doing the show because they'd been doing it since they were toddlers - they had no interest in pursuing acting, which is why they left the show). It's pretty clear that they hit the limit of the kids' ability hard and covered it up by largely making Liam a mute character. While that makes for a kinda funny character, they took advantage of the recasting to cast a more experienced actor, which allowed them to do more with the character. Even though it feels like a retcon, I think it's been good for the show.

What the show really needs now though is for the writers to sit down and come up with a proper plot arc for next season. This one meandered all over the place.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Yeah, I suffered through the final few seasons of Dexter, and this hasn't quite gotten to that level, but it's surely heading that way.
Many times I don't often see what others complain about, but I'm really seeing it this season.

Still enjoying it to a degree, but hopefully the whole series doesn't get soured by the last few seasons like Dexter did (to me anyway).
I'm tempted to go back and watch the first couple of seasons and see how different it is.

Like with Karen/Lip, and Frank and Shelia.

On that note, Joan Cusack hinted she may return:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chicagoinc/ct-ent-shameless-joan-cusack-john-cusack-20170925-story.html

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
They really need to bring V/Kev back into the main story, I love those characters but they've been in a different show basically for a couple seasons now. Hang out with Lip and Fiona like you used to!

Anyway yeah this was the first season where I was disappointed with just about everything. I want them to wrap things up and go out strong, outside of Lip I didn't end up caring about pretty much anything else that happened this season.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
The show is getting silly and I'm okay with it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ughhh what a bad season. Even Lip’s resolution was disappointing. I thought if it blew up in his face it would be because Sierra found out that he’s the one who started the fight with her dad.

Remember when they brought Lea DiLaria on as Lip’s new sponsor and suggested he would warm up to her, and then she was never mentioned again? This season had Friday Night Lights levels of dropped plots.

Sierra knew it was him, imo. She sounded pretty knowing about the cut on his lip not being a work or w/e accident.

I liked this season quite a bit. It wasn't very consistent, and Ian continues to be awful, but it was nice to have a relatively chill season with a more or less happy/uplifting end.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Wait, who unlocked Carl?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

Wait, who unlocked Carl?

Liam

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ian’s big game-changing idea was to... become a martyr? The whole Spartacus thing couldn’t have been the plan all along, right? Getting a crowd of mostly underage runaways arrested isn’t a good plan, Ian. Take your loving meds.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Every episode since Ian's "I have bigger things to worry about" comment to Fiona I have ranted to my wife about why aren't they addressing what he meant by it. Guess it was a throwaway.

Show's still fun, but it's now just keeping on for the sake of keeping on and it's really obvious. I'd prefer a show about Kev and V to anything the other characters have going on.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

We Know Catheters posted:

The show is getting silly and I'm okay with it.

:same:

I laughed and enjoyed myself watching the season finale. Can't wait for next season. I'm fine with the dropped plots but I have simple tastes in some tv shows I watch like this one. I love that debbie got poo poo on because she is a terrible person. Not sure Lip is ready for a kid though, hope they drop that plot line next season. Other then that it was good.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I liked how the season started but all the storylines turned lovely or just got abandoned. The Ian stuff was so brutally bad I started skipping his scenes.

As someone earlier mentioned, getting Kevin and V back in the mix would help a lot. They're the only consistently funny parts of the show. I like Svetlana and hope this isn't a way of writing her off. Also I enjoyed Frank for a change on the show this season.

If the show is going to continue for more seasons, they should have really shook up the cast. Ian going to jail for awhile would be great. Lip's transformation would be a great excuse for him to take off and explore his new found sobriety outside Chicago (and off screen).

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

In other news, woman abandons child at former work place to run off with newly released convicted murderer. We will now talk about this at 11.

With this finale I'd have to say I liked Ian's story the least over Carl's. At least Carl said "gently caress that" and booked it. Ian just kept gradually instigating it even when (I feel) he knew things were getting out of hand. I guess his story leading up to this was so boring they had to take him off his meds. Everyone else I don't really care. Debbie and Liam are just there. Fiona isn't doing much else different. It feels like Lip really didn't go anywhere except he has a bike and some life lessons now, I guess. Kev, V, and Svet are played out like such sidelined, gag characters, it's sad. Fun to watch. Unlikely to watch again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I just got into this show, are there threads for the past seasons? Are they archived?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yes and yes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat. I'm pretty pissed at myself for getting into this show so late. Every season it would come on, I would swear to my friends and family that I'd start up on this show... and totally blow it off. Now it's easily one of my favorite shows on television.

I think it was because I was afraid I wouldn't find it authentic, but that show is southside as gently caress. I grew up less than a dozen blocks away from the Gallagher home, and while the demographics are a little off (the area is way more Hispanic/white/Asian than white/black), it still has that desperation and resilience that embodies that area. Career criminals, aging alcoholics, kids coming home from juvie all linked up and cornrow'd out, I swear this show's just chronicling some of my family members lifestyles back home. Frank reminds me so much of my grandfather and his generation it hurts. I even love all the side characters like Mandy, Sheila, Sammi and Chuckie. When Sammi and Sheila were on screen together, that was like music to my Chicago accent acclimated ears.

Me and my roommate just finished season 5 and watched the first ep of season 6. I'm all in on all the kids, even if they all go out of their way to gently caress themselves over. Carl's life is pulling him to the streets and its glamorous as gently caress for him, but that dude he came home with's story was heartbreaking and shows you the reality of what minorities are born into when dealing with that lifestyle. Poor Deb's about to put herself into the single teenage mother role, Ian and Mickey were on the verge of becoming Monica & Frank 2.0 until Mickey got tossed in the pokey. I really hope he gets out, who would've thought he'd become the most compelling character on the show. Fiona's still looking for validity with any man who shows her an ounce of attention, you can almost trace a line from each kid back to Frank & Monica and their special brand of bad parenting imprinting uniquely on each of them.

I really love this show, and I hope I didn't jump aboard just to catch the last season. Hopefully we get to see these kids grow into adulthood. It'll be a trip watching Liam grow up and choosing to follow/unfollow in his siblings footsteps.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 7, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Abandon the show! It's still not too late!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Alternately, keep watching because even its bad seasons are still really good and fun overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I finished it last week! I'm definitely coming back for season 9, but I can see where the complaints are coming from, at least for season 8. None of the characters really exhibited any of that classic Gallagher scumminess, Carl got pretty neutered, Fiona was the infallible landlord dealing with comically over-the-top tenants instead of real-life reflections of her reality, and Frank never really regressed back to old Frank, port-a-john incident notwithstanding.

I'm still coming back for next season because I love this show, but hopefully the writers remember what made this show good. The characters making wrong choices in a SPECTACULAR awful fashion.

• Locked thread