Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

"A specialized LA detective is called out of retirement to execute obsolete android slaves." - summary, my cable box

You have you use symbols an' poo poo because those hollywood cucks couldn't handle the text straight, but the original Blade Runner is the realized dystopian hellworld of race mixing and liberalism, which I will make clear in a series of posts

It was a warning from the 1980s that we failed to heed. I, Steve Bannon, former Hobo of the King, shall guide you

If you see what I'm getting at, feel free to join in, add screenplay notes, what have you. I know you REAL AMERICANS are out there, even in this den of turbo-cuckery

Oh but keep the rileys down, that poo poo pissed me off when I was a movie executive

ext: TYRELL CORPORATION, DAY

INT: TYRELL VOIGHT-KAMPF OFFICE

HOLDEN: Come in, sit down

LEON: Okay if I talk? I kinda get nervous when I take tests.

HOLDEN: Please don't move.

LEON: I already had I.Q. test this year...but I don't think I never had a...

HOLDEN: Reaction time is a factor in this so please pay attention. Answer as quickly as you can.

LEON: Uh... sure...

HOLDEN: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

LEON: What'ya mean, I'm not helping?

HOLDEN: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?

HOLDEN: They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.

HOLDEN: Shall we continue?

HOLDEN: Describe in single words. Only the good things that come into your mind. About the Trump Presidency.

LEON: Trump? Now let me tell you about the Trump...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
all these tapes
will be lost
piss
in rain

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like the new one better

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

i like the new one better

I have not seen it, want to

I'm not sure what people's opinions of the first movie are, really. Like Star Wars, it's had an enormous impact as to how we pictured the future, until being superseded by The Matrix, Minority Report, and Apple products I guess

The Narration added in at the studio's insistence helps with the clarity of what's going on a lot. In the three or four director's cut versions, the sum of plot exposition is the text crawl at the start. I've read Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?, the Phillip K. Duck Dick book Blade Runner was based on, aside from one scene that Mr. Bannon will point out to us, which is almost word for word taken from the book, it is only vaugely like the movie. Despite that, the movie makes all sorts of references to material in the book, but never explains any of it. It's too bad because those secondary references make things more intelligible

In fact, the movie moves so slowly in the first half that I think we're in the weird situation where the soundtrack is actually keeping us happy. Vangelas did something very good and very tricky - he composed a score that acts as music and environmental background noise simultaneously, like fuckin' Super Metroid or something

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

We see LA, 2019. In the darkness and the damp, we a indian-esque swirl of cultures and races, all living side by side peacefully, all recognizably unAmerican. NICE JOB LIBERALS. This is what happens when you demonize the concept of racial hygiene.

This is our protagonist, the last white man, Deckard. He sits waiting for a stool *while non-whites eat* at a lunch counter. What could be clearer than that?

Let me fill you in on some background the movie leaves out: mankind had moved into space, partially thanks to replicants doing all the poo poo jobs in space. So, with earth polluted and crowded, all the people who are fit for space travel are living the high life in the off world colonies. The labor demand is so great that pretty much everybody who can has already left for the new Frontier. The people who are left behind are the ones deemed flawed somehow - physically or emotionally unsuited to be raptured into white people heaven. (Gaff has a cane for that very reason.) No wonder they had to ban replicants on earth, eh? The population on earth is now mostly excess to requirements. What would they do if labor-bots and sex-bots started competing with them? Deckard's flaws we can only guess - he did after all leave the Blade Runner squad. (The narration, inserted OVER RIDLEY SCOTT'S OBJECTIONS) does a lot to explain this; Deckard keeps going on about how he grew tired of the killing and wanted nothing more to do with it, and how even on this last case he figured that if poo poo got too deep he could literally just *run away*.) I dislike the narration. Deckard is a poor god cursed fool, anyway, I don't want to hear how he's internalized all of this cuckerage. I mean, he didn't kill people - he killed androids who look and act like exactly like people. A vet leaving small animal vet medicine because of all the euthanizing they have to do I have sympathy for. Deckard? He's a guy who does pest control and has irrational guilt about it.

Oh, this lack of population explains why JF Sebastian lives by himself in an ancient apartment building. Real estate speculation crashed once all the good people left - now people have all the space they want. God, I feel ill.

Speaking of ill, could you be any more Chinese-y UGH

And he of course doesn't speak English. I mean, HELLO?!?

Deckard just rolls with all of this. But then, it gets worse.

Edward James Olmos plays Gaff, who is Mexican and a cripple. He also speaks in a made-up dialect (as they explain in the narration - ebonics has given way to a mish-mash of Japanese, Portuguese, and other languages. This is culture mixing at the level of metastasis.) Anyway - the narration also mentions Deckard considers Gaff no threat - his fellow blade runner is "brown-nosing for a promotion." Functionally, Gaff and Deckard become partners for the duration of the case; Gaff is Deckard's official minder. This is lost though in vauge editing and Gaff's relative lack of lines and appearances.

Gaff tells Deckard that Captian Bryant wants to see him. They go in a flying car and we see more of the decadent city

Next: that old blade runner magic

I forget if they define where the name "Blade Runner" comes from. Marketing obviously, but I'm having a hard time thinking why "android assassin" gets a special slang name.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

"A specialized LA detective is called out of retirement to execute obsolete android slaves." - summary, my cable box

You have you use symbols an' poo poo because those hollywood cucks couldn't handle the text straight, but the original Blade Runner is the realized dystopian hellworld of race mixing and liberalism, which I will make clear in a series of posts

It was a warning from the 1980s that we failed to heed. I, Steve Bannon, former Hobo of the King, shall guide you

If you see what I'm getting at, feel free to join in, add screenplay notes, what have you. I know you REAL AMERICANS are out there, even in this den of turbo-cuckery

Oh but keep the rileys down, that poo poo pissed me off when I was a movie executive

ext: TYRELL CORPORATION, DAY

INT: TYRELL VOIGHT-KAMPF OFFICE

HOLDEN: Come in, sit down

LEON: Okay if I talk? I kinda get nervous when I take tests.

HOLDEN: Please don't move.

LEON: I already had I.Q. test this year...but I don't think I never had a...

HOLDEN: Reaction time is a factor in this so please pay attention. Answer as quickly as you can.

LEON: Uh... sure...

HOLDEN: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

LEON: What'ya mean, I'm not helping?

HOLDEN: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?

HOLDEN: They're just questions, Leon. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test, designed to provoke an emotional response.

HOLDEN: Shall we continue?

HOLDEN: Describe in single words. Only the good things that come into your mind. About the Trump Presidency.

LEON: Trump? Now let me tell you about the Trump...

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have not seen it, want to

I'm not sure what people's opinions of the first movie are, really. Like Star Wars, it's had an enormous impact as to how we pictured the future, until being superseded by The Matrix, Minority Report, and Apple products I guess

The Narration added in at the studio's insistence helps with the clarity of what's going on a lot. In the three or four director's cut versions, the sum of plot exposition is the text crawl at the start. I've read Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?, the Phillip K. Duck Dick book Blade Runner was based on, aside from one scene that Mr. Bannon will point out to us, which is almost word for word taken from the book, it is only vaugely like the movie. Despite that, the movie makes all sorts of references to material in the book, but never explains any of it. It's too bad because those secondary references make things more intelligible

In fact, the movie moves so slowly in the first half that I think we're in the weird situation where the soundtrack is actually keeping us happy. Vangelas did something very good and very tricky - he composed a score that acts as music and environmental background noise simultaneously, like fuckin' Super Metroid or something

Nebakenezzer posted:

We see LA, 2019. In the darkness and the damp, we a indian-esque swirl of cultures and races, all living side by side peacefully, all recognizably unAmerican. NICE JOB LIBERALS. This is what happens when you demonize the concept of racial hygiene.

This is our protagonist, the last white man, Deckard. He sits waiting for a stool *while non-whites eat* at a lunch counter. What could be clearer than that?

Let me fill you in on some background the movie leaves out: mankind had moved into space, partially thanks to replicants doing all the poo poo jobs in space. So, with earth polluted and crowded, all the people who are fit for space travel are living the high life in the off world colonies. The labor demand is so great that pretty much everybody who can has already left for the new Frontier. The people who are left behind are the ones deemed flawed somehow - physically or emotionally unsuited to be raptured into white people heaven. (Gaff has a cane for that very reason.) No wonder they had to ban replicants on earth, eh? The population on earth is now mostly excess to requirements. What would they do if labor-bots and sex-bots started competing with them? Deckard's flaws we can only guess - he did after all leave the Blade Runner squad. (The narration, inserted OVER RIDLEY SCOTT'S OBJECTIONS) does a lot to explain this; Deckard keeps going on about how he grew tired of the killing and wanted nothing more to do with it, and how even on this last case he figured that if poo poo got too deep he could literally just *run away*.) I dislike the narration. Deckard is a poor god cursed fool, anyway, I don't want to hear how he's internalized all of this cuckerage. I mean, he didn't kill people - he killed androids who look and act like exactly like people. A vet leaving small animal vet medicine because of all the euthanizing they have to do I have sympathy for. Deckard? He's a guy who does pest control and has irrational guilt about it.

Oh, this lack of population explains why JF Sebastian lives by himself in an ancient apartment building. Real estate speculation crashed once all the good people left - now people have all the space they want. God, I feel ill.

Speaking of ill, could you be any more Chinese-y UGH

And he of course doesn't speak English. I mean, HELLO?!?

Deckard just rolls with all of this. But then, it gets worse.

Edward James Olmos plays Gaff, who is Mexican and a cripple. He also speaks in a made-up dialect (as they explain in the narration - ebonics has given way to a mish-mash of Japanese, Portuguese, and other languages. This is culture mixing at the level of metastasis.) Anyway - the narration also mentions Deckard considers Gaff no threat - his fellow blade runner is "brown-nosing for a promotion." Functionally, Gaff and Deckard become partners for the duration of the case; Gaff is Deckard's official minder. This is lost though in vauge editing and Gaff's relative lack of lines and appearances.

Gaff tells Deckard that Captian Bryant wants to see him. They go in a flying car and we see more of the decadent city

Next: that old blade runner magic

I forget if they define where the name "Blade Runner" comes from. Marketing obviously, but I'm having a hard time thinking why "android assassin" gets a special slang name.

No

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
for some reason fash weirdos on twitter really like the new blade runner, specifically a screen shot of ryan gosling with bandaged over his nose. can someone explain?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Darkman Fanpage posted:

for some reason fash weirdos on twitter really like the new blade runner, specifically a screen shot of ryan gosling with bandaged over his nose. can someone explain?

I actually can't; I'm just faking this diseased sort of thinking

To dump out my purse, I had a conversation with a friend I've known since childhood, who's more or less on the express train to being a fascist or something. Not so long after, I came across something written by a writer that I genuinely respected that is either 1) incredible trolling or 2) actual purestrain racist idiocy.

For some reason I caught the original Blade Runner on space, and it occurred to me the cancerous mindset of Steve Bannon could take this tale of disposable people and paranoid questions of what we actually know in life and twist it into what Bannon thinks "liberals"* want to happen, mixed with his hysterically idiotic ideas about "race"**, hopefully for the amusement of the thread. In retrospect, what I **really** wanted to happen was for the thread to come together to utterly rip this sorta thinking apart. I sadly understand quite well the emotional dynamics that are causing my friend to consciously choose to be the worst sort of person - I guess I wanted some sort of cathartic release about just how hosed up and vile this whole line of thought actually is

also maybe laugh about the first Blade Runner, a weird, idiosyncratic but interesting movie since god knows we like our Deus Ex references around here

Anyway, I can continue channeling Bannondorf if the thread likes or if the whole concept doesn't sparkle with y'all we can retire it, namaste

PS this was really hard to write without using a certain word starting with R now reserved for referring to Trump exclusively

*I mean his understanding of that term is a negative exponent of the concept, so slap a few more quotation marks around that

**Ditto, though obviously race in his concept is actually - just a bad concept, completely wrong

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I don't know about the new Blade Runner or that screen shot specifically but a lot of fashies like cyberpunk and "aesthetic" stuff, possibly because it's about a degenerate time period like they think ours is. Plus a lot of it cyberpunk has conspiracy theories, which they love.

I'm not sure how many of them get the irony that cyberpunk dystopias are almost always caused by unchecked corporate power, though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

1. blade runner pulls from noir, and they like noir
2. its pervasive whiteness and depiction of women make wokes mad, and they like anything that makes wokes mad
3. twitter fash are young fash, who like cyberpunk aesthetics (as jeb rep sez) because they're all incel nerds that love chiptunes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

TBH it sounds like fashes treat the new blade runner like they treat Nietzsche - on the most superfical level this seems like something that agrees with me

so it does in fact agree with me

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

TBH it sounds like fashes treat the new blade runner like they treat Nietzsche - on the most superfical level this seems like something that agrees with me

so it does in fact agree with me

this is a good explanation.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

new blade runner is intensely religious

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this is a good explanation.

Thanks! I was thinking about it at the gym, and I think you see the same thing with The Matrix and V for Vendetta. Both movies in the broadest conceivable sense have elements that fit into the fash worldview, IE both are dystopias, and both have a conspiracy as an important plot point. That's enough for them to say Y'SEE THESE MOVIES ARE ALLEGORIES FOR ALL MY poo poo IDEAS

I mean if you are going to do that, use interesting movies like Watership Down or The Plague Dogs, or I dunno The Last Unicorn or something

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
if you want to know where the name Blade Runner comes from, there was a similar grimdark cyberpunk story, named Blade Runner, that also got optioned for a script, and for god knows what reason the name for that project got attached to the movie version of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.

Blade Runner, the story, was about the grim darkness of the somewhat-cyberpunk future where the price of access to healthcare is sterilization, and the underground network of doctors that keep the system working at all, from the perspective of one of their medical supply smugglers

or, colloquially, "blade runners"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ze Pollack posted:

if you want to know where the name Blade Runner comes from, there was a similar grimdark cyberpunk story, named Blade Runner, that also got optioned for a script, and for god knows what reason the name for that project got attached to the movie version of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep.

Blade Runner, the story, was about the grim darkness of the somewhat-cyberpunk future where the price of access to healthcare is sterilization, and the underground network of doctors that keep the system working at all, from the perspective of one of their medical supply smugglers

or, colloquially, "blade runners"

Oh, that makes sense, thanks.

It's kind of a dumb move, the renaming in of itself simply because Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep? is an excellent title

PS> I watched The Last Unicorn on netflix, and the post-movie suggestions were kinda emasculating

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
incidentally, the plot of that book centers around "oh poo poo the next round of the spanish flu is coming, and while the government's willing to pronounce medical amnesty 1. for understandable reason the population is not sure this is not secretly a plan to chemically castrate the lot of them 2. a right-wing militia based on boycotting, also murdering doctors is a thing that's gonna complicate the poo poo out of this program"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the last unicorn feels like it engages with femininity and womens' experience in a really intense way especially wrt molly grue and I think twitter fascists would dislike it/be confused by that

"do androids dream of electric sheep?" is a solid title but it's hellof unwieldy for a film

I swear to god I've read it but I don't remember what they call replicant hunters in it, is it just "replicant hunter"?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

wizard on a water slide posted:

the last unicorn feels like it engages with femininity and womens' experience in a really intense way especially wrt molly grue and I think twitter fascists would dislike it/be confused by that

"do androids dream of electric sheep?" is a solid title but it's hellof unwieldy for a film

I swear to god I've read it but I don't remember what they call replicant hunters in it, is it just "replicant hunter"?

Yeah, I was just goofin', trying to think of what the literally worst fash reading film would be, Watership Down has rabbits fighting fascist rabbits, and The Last Unicorn might literally be the worst

They actually call them "Blade Runners" - the Chinese cook at the start says Deckard is a Blade Runner. Bryant (the police captain) also uses the term but in a way like they hadn't decided quite what the term meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I've seen Blade Runner 2049

I've no idea why any fash would like this movie. The movie's entire thing is people who are socially and legally less than people, and how this is so arbitrary that it's often impossible to tell who's real and who's the replicant

And characters can be wrong as to "who they are"

No real world analogies here, nope

About the only way to get a national racist reading out of it is to let Steve Bannon have his way with it

• Locked thread