Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

ThomasPaine posted:

Seeing as you're obviously scary good at pool, did you ever consider going pro? As in tournaments/official stuff rather than sticking your neck out fleecing people in sketchy bars. I don't know how a big a pro pool scene there is, but I imagine a lot of the skills would transfer to snooker pretty easy (may be being naive here, I'm don't really know the game). Surely that would best going out knowing you might get your rear end beat or worse if the atmosphere turns sour.

E: also what is the trick to potting the 8 off the break? Is there a particular technique?

The difference between a really good amateur player like jase and a pro is extreme. I've never seen jase play but there's a very good chance he's just not on that level.

To pocket the 8 off the break hit the second ball on the side with a little inside English (if you're hitting the ball on the right it's left spin, the ball on the left is right spin) and some bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You're a great writer. I think the Jase threads were the ones that originally got me to cough up my :10bux: for SA.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Glad to hear you're doing alright, jase! Keep posting cool stories :).

jase1 posted:

Since I sold my company and retired early I was looking to either invest in a small business or purchase one outright. I even thought about making a bid for SA when I read the rumors about the potential demise of this place but decided not too after chatting with a few other posters here. So I bought a boat instead
I feel like a boat being a better investment than the forums is all you really need to know about the state of SA.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It's a lot harder for you to get the FBI called on you just for owning a boat.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

A boat only depreciates approximately 10% year over year.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
BOAT
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

The two happiest days in a boat owner's life, the day they buy it, the day they sell it.

I still want a fuckin boat.

Hey OP, bring on any more stories. I remember reading your last thread, it was pretty awesome from what I recall.

Did you ever encounter any real pro guys? I mean guys that were beyond, or way beyond the skills of the local hustler types?

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

ThomasPaine posted:

Seeing as you're obviously scary good at pool, did you ever consider going pro? As in tournaments/official stuff rather than sticking your neck out fleecing people in sketchy bars. I don't know how a big a pro pool scene there is, but I imagine a lot of the skills would transfer to snooker pretty easy (may be being naive here, I'm don't really know the game). Surely that would best going out knowing you might get your rear end beat or worse if the atmosphere turns sour.

E: also what is the trick to potting the 8 off the break? Is there a particular technique?

I don't think I was or will be ever good enough to go pro I have never tried and really I never cared. I have gone to the pro events and picked up stragglers who think they are way better than they need to be and taken some money from them but the pro scene isn't really my vibe. I have ran into a few pros over the years but mostly I knew who they were and steered clear and watch them eat some of the stupider players alive. John Brumback who was one of the best one pocket players and banks players in the country at one time and is in the HOF came into Cleveland once and I watched him take Dippy dave for a shitload of money. I enjoyed that night it was quite hilarious. Watching Dave keep pulling out those stacks of money is hilarious because you could just tell he didn't have much of a chance. Dippy dave is Dave Viffer who is a professional poker player and before he became famous he was known as dippy dave in the Cleveland area and always gambling on pool. My uncle has taken a bunch of money off Dave as well he just loves to gamble. I have watched Burmback come into town several times and take money off players and I always stayed away. Thanks to my Uncle who knows everything he usually vets people out for me if I don't know them.

8 ball on the break is essentially aiming at the second ball in the rack based on what side you are on and if you hit it correctly it will go into the side or the corner pocket. I always try from the right side of the rack because in my experience is usually the tightest spot especially when you have lovely rackers. If I get a guy who gives me a really tight rack he doesn't know but he is usually signing his own death warrant. I usually always leave my racks loose unless someone says something then I tighten them up. It's the little tricks that can make or break a game for you and giving someone a lovely rack is a perfect way to get control of the table. On my practice table at home I have hit 5 out of 5 on there when I am in the zone. Some tables it's easier than other and really it was the first shot I learned when I started shooting because it can win you matches right up front. Look up Dr. Cue on youtube and he will show you how to do it.

I am sure I have been hustled by a pro here or there I have lost so many times in my life it's hard to keep track. Sometimes I was in a town that I can't even remember the name off and got beat by a guy I swear I would see on espn the next month when I would catch those Sunday or Saturday billiards shows. I was once hustling a couple of guys in a bar playing them both at the same time while I was extremely drunk trying to impress one of their girlfriends. I remember her being one of those women that stand out no matter where she would be and she was distracting I couldn't stop thinking about her while shooting and somehow or another I was talking poo poo back and forth to the guys and she jumped in and challenged me and being the idiot I was at the time and not spotting the hustle she kicked my rear end and took me for $500. If I remember correctly I think I lost $250 to her 2 friends playing them both and then telling them to run it again and she challenged me and I thought it was because she wanted to gently caress me. Nope she just wanted my money and I bet she was pro. I learned some hard lessons traveling the country back in the day which helped me become better and learn about who to shoot or not to shoot. I also learned about who to keep close and who to not let hang around.

I met a girl in a bar once who watched me shoot and was all about my lifestyle. We went back to my place after I hustled a couple of guys and she introduced me to coke. She hosed my brains out for like 2 weeks and I would walk around like I was king poo poo. Ego is a hell of a drug and when you mix it with coke and a pocket full of money and smoking hot blond even though the warning signs are they you ignore them. My Uncle had several conversations with me pulling me aside at the pool hall telling me she was trouble and to get rid of her but I was long past listening to him. We hosed every night all night did 8balls of coke that she always had her for some reason and then one day I woke up and she had cleaned my house out of all the money I had stashed there. Over 20k which at the time was my whole bankroll. I'll never forget that night I did so much coke that weekend that I sleep for about 20 hours and I woke up with my freezer door open and I knew I was hosed. I use to keep rolls of my cash in the freezer in these little green tupperware containers thinking I was being smart. She obviously had seen me stash money in there and cleaned me the gently caress out. I called my Uncle told what happened he came over pretty much said I told you so and busted my balls loaned me 5k and in 3 weeks I got it all back and paid him back as well. I was a machine those 3 weeks with a bruised ego and furious anger I remember just being so focused at the table I couldn't even hear the jukebox or anything in those loud rear end bars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jase1 posted:

I have watched Burmback come into town several times and take money off players and I always stayed away. Thanks to my Uncle who knows everything he usually vets people out for me if I don't know them.

Does stay away just mean not betting games against them? Is there any stigma against hanging out or playing without money on the line? Are pro players only looking to shoot for money in these situations?

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

kimbo305 posted:

Does stay away just mean not betting games against them? Is there any stigma against hanging out or playing without money on the line? Are pro players only looking to shoot for money in these situations?

Yes, stay away is gamblers code for "That guy is gonna beat me" no stigma against just being there but they probably won't play you without money on the line unless they know you.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Small correction Viffer is David Peat.

Love the stories Jase, glad you're on the mend.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Sorry again for the delay but went on a small road trip with my uncle through south Florida. Have a bunch of new stories and I will post the first one tomorrow. My uncle left for Cleveland and I’m about to start playing poker again because I made just enough to get that bankroll back above 200k.

Thanks for the correction on Viffer I never know what’s a nickname or a last name.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

jase1 posted:

Sorry again for the delay but went on a small road trip with my uncle through south Florida. Have a bunch of new stories and I will post the first one tomorrow. My uncle left for Cleveland and I’m about to start playing poker again because I made just enough to get that bankroll back above 200k.

Thanks for the correction on Viffer I never know what’s a nickname or a last name.

I’d like to read some more stories!

E: I actually watched my buddy get hustled a few weeks ago. Small stakes relative to you, and he managed to talk the guy into halving the stakes when he was in a pretty good position in game 1, but the guy then ran the table the next two games. Friend didn’t even get a shot. Reminded me of this thread.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 2, 2018

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Thanks for the stories! Interesting on the loose rack in particular.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

jase1 posted:

I called my Uncle told what happened he came over pretty much said I told you so and busted my balls loaned me 5k and in 3 weeks I got it all back and paid him back as well. I was a machine those 3 weeks with a bruised ego and furious anger I remember just being so focused at the table I couldn't even hear the jukebox or anything in those loud rear end bars.

you ever figure out what she's up to these days

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

JaySB posted:

Small correction Viffer is David Peat.

Love the stories Jase, glad you're on the mend.

Does he still rage hard? I won't share any of my stories about partying with him, but goddamn they were intense.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Does he still rage hard? I won't share any of my stories about partying with him, but goddamn they were intense.

In short, no. He moved out of Vegas and is married with a child now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Old Man Pants posted:

I won't share any of my stories about partying with him

Why, it's not like we're getting any more stories in here from the OP

• Locked thread