Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
Go to the antique store in Gorman, CA. You can even choose from models such as child, child still wearing braces, and ceremonial carvings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Just don't buy it from tumblr

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
I would consider having your friend just go get a hi-Res CT scan of his own skull and getting that 3d printed. Cheaper and definitely emotional cause it’s HIS

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

child still wearing braces

for some reason this just seems really hosed up,maybe because the braces somehow humanize it

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So this one made the final cut, and the skull has landed

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
whats his name

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

I can sell you two rib bones for $52 each if you wanted to bang on that thing cartoonishly.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Snowy posted:

So this one made the final cut, and the skull has landed

I bet that person gave some quality BJs

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

A Norwegian guy my brother met online shipped him one a few years ago. No idea on the legality, but maybe get one shipped over and hope it doesn't get dinged in customs. It was used as a decoration, then was in his snake aquarium and finally met it's demise when a large friend of ours was drunk fell onto it.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

EvilPsych posted:

I would consider having your friend just go get a hi-Res CT scan of his own skull and getting that 3d printed. Cheaper and definitely emotional cause it’s HIS

I really like this idea but how much does a recreational CT scan cost? And will they give you full file?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I really like this idea but how much does a recreational CT scan cost? And will they give you full file?

maybe contact a medical college and find out

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I think a medical college would be one of the least likely places to agree to expose you to radiation unnecessarily.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Scudworth posted:

I think a medical college would be one of the least likely places to agree to expose you to radiation unnecessarily.

I don't know what kind of medical college you went to, but recreational CT scans are the new bikini car washes

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just going to put this Reuters story out there for the next time you get thinking to buying human body parts:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/section/usa-bodies/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a lot of weird handwringing about "mistreating" cadavers in that which is weird when presumably the end goal is still that they're gonna get hacked up by medical students.

All the stuff about pollution concerns and the objectionable nature of trying to scam people's bodies off their relatives and not paying them for it is fine but it devotes a lot of time to basically saying you have to be nice to corpses.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 17, 2017

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah thats weird as hell its not like there have been all kinds of sensitivies and taboos around handling of the dead in most human cultures and most people dont give a gently caress what becomes of a loved ones corpse after signing a donation form so its indeed strange, or maybe even baffling that the article is aware of these concerns

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

There's a lot of weird handwringing about "mistreating" cadavers in that which is weird when presumably the end goal is still that they're gonna get hacked up by medical students.

All the stuff about pollution concerns and the objectionable nature of trying to scam people's bodies off their relatives and not paying them for it is fine but it devotes a lot of time to basically saying you have to be nice to corpses.
You do. Since every human being is deserving of respect, every human body is also deserving of respect, as a sign that it once had been a living human. That you don't get this worries me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

You do. Since every human being is deserving of respect, every human body is also deserving of respect, as a sign that it once had been a living human. That you don't get this worries me.

if you are starting from the assumption that "every human being is deserving of respect" as though it was some sort of universally accepted idea (even when talking about just living ones), I'm afraid you've got a lot more worrying ahead of you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Earwicker posted:

if you are starting from the assumption that "every human being is deserving of respect" as though it was some sort of universally accepted idea (even when talking about just living ones), I'm afraid you've got a lot more worrying ahead of you.
I don't care whether it's universally accepted or not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

I would draw a pretty harsh line between "humans" and "human remains", one is a person and important, the other isn't and again, especially in the case of the article, is going to be chopped to bits anyway. Best case scenario for a corpse is you bury it, forget it's there, dig through it with a bulldozer when you want to build something 100 years later, throw half of it in a charnel pit, forget about it again.

There's a lot of stuff they're reporting in that is genuinely highly objectionable and I think it would be a better article if it concentrated on that. It's not people, it's stuff, the bit that's wrong is the disconnect between pretending to the relatives that it's people when it is, to everyone else involved including the desired end medical users, stuff. Because that's exploitative towards actual living people.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 17, 2017

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Goons need an IRB

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This is the weirdest loving thread but I learned a lot lmao. Are these like ex-med student cadaver skulls? If not where do they cone from? It's a little troubling that they seem to be mostly from China/India. What a time to be alive, buying skulls online for a few hundred dollars.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

This is the weirdest loving thread but I learned a lot lmao. Are these like ex-med student cadaver skulls? If not where do they cone from? It's a little troubling that they seem to be mostly from China/India. What a time to be alive, buying skulls online for a few hundred dollars.

people have been buying and selling skulls as long as we've had them. which, i think, is a p long time

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Why buy skulls when you can take them from your enemies?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Jeza posted:

because then there's just so much extra meat to deal with

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It has always been a dream of mine to drink wine from the skull of my enemy.

I want to know the joy these skeletons feel and I think that would get me close

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mammal Sauce posted:

A Norwegian guy my brother met online shipped him one a few years ago. No idea on the legality, but maybe get one shipped over and hope it doesn't get dinged in customs. It was used as a decoration, then was in his snake aquarium and finally met it's demise when a large friend of ours was drunk fell onto it.

That large friend is probably haunted by a pissed of Norse ghost now.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

best of luck on your phylactery, op

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jeza posted:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Earwicker posted:

they've been lying to you since the beginning, there has always been a limited number of skulls

Hey, if I can get the skull of a saint and the skull of that saint as a young boy, then the skull possibilities are endless.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CannonFodder posted:

Hey, if I can get the skull of a saint and the skull of that saint as a young boy, then the skull possibilities are endless.
Much like a molting crab, saints shed their skulls regularly and regrow new ones.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CannonFodder posted:

PM me with your rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
So how's your friend's Damien Hirst counterfeit coming along?

• Locked thread