Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hi, I'm McNally and I'm a Civil War reenactor.

I entered the hobby in 2013 and picked up a reasonable amount of knowledge along the way, or so I'd like to think. For drat sure the Civil War section of my bookshelf expanded dramatically. There were some questions about reenacting over in the Army thread and some interest was expressed about a thread on Civil War reenacting, so I thought I'd oblige. First I'm going to walk through basic gear, then discuss stuff someone wishing to join the hobby can get later on as needed, and then open the thread to any questions.

First, though, I'm going to say that I reenact Union infantry, so my experience is limited to that scope. I have some vague understandings of some of the other areas (Confederate infantry, Union cavalry, zouaves...), but I'm just going to say it now: Any answers relating to anything other than Union infantry are going to start with "I don't know, but."

So with that out of the way, let's begin. First, what I'm about to throw at you is going to be daunting. It's not a cheap hobby, but you don't have to get everything all at once. Most units have loaner gear for new members because, frankly, anyone who jumps in with both feet and gets everything before they even try it for a weekend is an idiot.

Starting from the head and working our way down we have:

Headgear.

This might be one of the most important first purchases you can make. To the untrained eye, a hand sewn, completely accurate uniform jacket is nearly indistinguishable from a middling "sutler row" example. But a crappy hat looks like a crappy hat and an accurate hat looks like anicer crappy hat looks a lot different. To start, you're going to want to get a forage cap.

The forage cap is the quintessential Civil War headgear. When I was a kid who knew fuckin' nothing about the Civil War, I knew that Civil War soldiers had those funny hats that kinda flopped forward and ended in a circle. That's the forage cap. Not to be confused with the kepi (which bears a resemblance to a ranger rolled patrol cap, which is probably why people started doing that). The kepi is a cap and has always been a cap, where a forage cap is literally just a floppy shako. That's where it comes from: It's just a limp, shortened shako.

If you're more of a dandy, there's also the regulation dress hat. A lot of guys wore these, but not many of them wore it according to regulation.

poo poo, that's just more brass to keep polished. And fuckin' feather flew off my head in the first breeze after I stepped out of the goddamned barracks, I lost that goddamn thing in 1861. But it is a wide brimmed hat, which is good for keeping the sun off you. That tall crown isn't particularly stylish, though, unless you like looking like our Pilgrim ancestors. Soldiers are a creative bunch, though, so you'd see this hat worn all kinds of different ways: Pinched, telescoped into a shorter crown, crunched into something unique and shapeless. The possibilities are near limitless!

Finally, if you like being an individual in this here army, there's always a private purchase civilian hat.

I bought mine at an event over the summer because I was tired of the sun beating down on me. The next day was overcast.

So what's a hat cost? The answer is a near-unanimous "about a hundred bucks." Give or take. The forage cap? About a hundred bucks. The dress hat? About a hundred bucks, plus trimmings. The civilian hat? About a hundred bucks. Plus another twenty. Get the forage cap first, though. It's pretty ubiquitous.

Next comes the shirt. drat near every reenactor has the same off-white muslin shirt, so I won't take a picture of mine. Here's three.

Left to right we have a red checkered homespun shirt, a shirt that I bought because I wanted a dandier shirt, and the standard issue flannel shirt that was designed for men in like 1820 and was never updated. The issue shirt has one button, at the neck. The others have three, starting at the sternum. Shirts, like hats, are your window to individuality. Buy them, make them, it's all good. But the cut of a 19th century shirt is different from a modern shirt, so don't try to get away with any shenanigans. Shirts tend to start at around $30 because they know you can't go to Walmart.

After you put on the shirt, you put on your trousers.

Note the rise in the back. Trousers were worn high-waisted (trousers have *always* been worn high waisted until about 40 or 50 years ago), so you're buttoning them around the navel or so. None of that drop front nonsense here, by the Civil War they finally figured out the modern button fly.

Pre- and early-war trousers were all dark blue, with sky blue becoming the standard by 1862 (except for senior officers, who continued to wear dark blue). Privates worn theirs unadorned, corporals wore a 1/2" stripe in their branch color (or dark blue for infantry, since a sky blue stripe wouldn't be visible on sky blue pants), sergeants wore a 1 1/2" stripe, and officers wore a 1/8th inch welt in the seam.

Trousers start around $120 and go up in price depending on quality and your waistline.

Now put your jacket on. You have two options: Fatigue jacket or frock coat.

The fatigue jacket was the most common jacket worn in the Civil War. Simple, lightweight, four buttons, interior pocket. It was originally designed for fatigue duty but became the jacket of choice for the fighting man. This'll run you $100 to $150, more or less.

The frock coat was the Class A jacket of its day. It was also the ACU blouse of its day. And the field jacket of its day. Basically what I'm saying is that the idea of a combat uniform separate from the dress uniform didn't really become a thing until the 20th century. The frock coat was, believe it or not, not uncommon among the fighting man because it's fancier and who doesn't like feeling fancy? You'll also see them worn as a jacket, with the skirt cut down to the waist. Almost as fancy for less weight. If you pay less than $200 for one of these, you've either got yourself a great bargain or a really lovely coat.

As far as socks go, I wear Fox River rag wool socks. Nobody really looks at your socks.

Shoes, though, shoes are important.

The most common shoe is made with rough side out leather. Which is why mine are smooth side out: Just as common (if not more so) during the actual Civil War, but hardly ever seen among reenactors. Why? I don't have a clue. Good shoes are important, don't skimp on good shoes. A cheap pair will rub your feet raw and then fall apart when you look at them funny. A good pair will last you for years and years if you take care of them. $200.

So that's the basic uniform. Now we're moving into basic gear, what every soldier should have on the field. Much like the clothing, I'm going to go in order of how you put it on.

First up is your cartridge box.

This is where your ammunition lives. It's worn just behind your right hip, slung over your left shoulder by a leather strap. Cartridge box and strap will run you

Mr. Eagle here rests in the center of your chest, telling the rebs where to aim.

Next comes your waist belt.

On the belt is your cap pouch and bayonet scabbard. Inside your scabbard is either an Enfield bayonet (left) or a Springfield bayonet (right), depending on what kind of rifle you have. Well, if you're doing early war you may also have an Austrian or Belgian bayonet, but you hardly ever see anyone carrying an Austrian or Belgian weapon in reenactments, so nevermind about them for now. The belt goes around your waist, over the cartridge box sling. Waist belt, cartidge box, sling, and buckles and plates'll run you about $120 all together. Scabbard ought to come with your bayonet, which'll run you about $75.

Next, slung over your right shoulder so it sits just above your left hip, is your haversack.

This contains about three days worth of food. Or it would if you were an actual Civil War soldier. If you're a reenactor, it more than likely contains some food, your car keys, your cell phone, maybe your wallet, and a package of baby wipes if you're smart. Maybe some bug spray if you're a wuss. Possibly some sunscreen if you don't want to eventually get skin cancer. Anyway, stuff you want on you but want to keep out of sight goes in here. Unless you're one of those hardcore campaigner types who only go out "like the old boys did," in which case yeah, three days worth of food. Haversacks are about $30, more if you want to be all fancy with one that's completely hand-sewn (like mine).

And then on top of that goes your canteen.

The Civil War canteen held about three pints of water and was covered in wool to help protect it from bumps and dings, and to help keep the water inside cool (soak the wool, it cools the water - just like the fluffy lining of the old 2 quart canteen cover). I've heard stories of soldiers keeping milk in theirs, taken from cows encountered along the march and... euughh. Canteens run around $75-ish.

Finally, your rifle.

This is a fairly important choice to make, because it's the single most expensive item you'll buy (they're running around $800 for a new in box reproduction nowadays). A general rule of thumb is that you can't go wrong with a Model 1861 Springfield. Soldiers on both sides of the war loved this rifle. It was reliable, it was well made and, best of all, if yours was broke, you could probably fix it with parts from another. Interchangeable parts was a thing with US rifles starting in 1842. Sure, you might need to do a little bit of filing to fit, but you could always make the parts fit. Anyway, I'm getting off track. Bottom line, Springfields are a good catch-all. Another good choice would be the Pattern 1853 Enfield. Both sides used it in the beginning of the war and the Confederates continued to do so all the way to the end. So if you want to crossdress, an Enfield is a good choice.

There are also Model 1842 Springfield muskets and Austrian Lorenz rifles available as reproductions.

I have a somewhat comprehensive write-up of Civil War rifles here, but I'm happy to take direct questions on this subject.

So that's your basic beginner's kit: Uniform, equipment, and rifle. Where do you go from here? Well, you'll eventually want a tent, ground cloth, blanket, greatcoat, knapsack, maybe a small lantern...

That's a rabbit hole unto itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

A: If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country did you grow up in, and is it the same area you reenact in?

B: Do you reenact specific battles or is it more of a loose 'skirmish'-style reenactment?

C: If you could give a percentage, how many people are there genuinely for the historical portion versus other reasons?

I ask because I grew up in Georgia and the Civil War reenactments were pretty much all Confederacy-driven, with Union troops nonexistent (Look, this is a Civil War-era camp! This is how they would have lived on the march when there wasn't a battle around! No, we don't do battle reenactments here for...uh...reasons.).

This is a legitimately good thread, and if I'm making GBS threads it up with politics, my bad.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Cool thread!

I remember going to a CW re-enactment when I️ was a kid. One of the things they had was a field hospital. Does your reenactor unit do anything like that with moulage and whatnot?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

redneck nazgul posted:

A: If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country did you grow up in, and is it the same area you reenact in?

B: Do you reenact specific battles or is it more of a loose 'skirmish'-style reenactment?

C: If you could give a percentage, how many people are there genuinely for the historical portion versus other reasons?

I ask because I grew up in Georgia and the Civil War reenactments were pretty much all Confederacy-driven, with Union troops nonexistent (Look, this is a Civil War-era camp! This is how they would have lived on the march when there wasn't a battle around! No, we don't do battle reenactments here for...uh...reasons.).

This is a legitimately good thread, and if I'm making GBS threads it up with politics, my bad.

I go to reenactments in what was the Eastern Theater of the war: As far north as Gettysburg, as far south as maybe Petersburg (possibly Norfolk). I grew up in Northern Virginia, but my family comes from central New York.

It's a mix. Some events are meant to represent specific battles, others are loose skirmishes that happen around a "living history" camp in a local or national part (I did one this summer where the "battle" happened in the town's baseball field), and sometimes we just do a living history encampment with maybe a couple of firing demonstrations.

In my group, I'd say that pretty much every man is genuinely interested in history. We actually have strict rules about politics in camp: Don't talk about politics.

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

Cool thread!

I remember going to a CW re-enactment when I️ was a kid. One of the things they had was a field hospital. Does your reenactor unit do anything like that with moulage and whatnot?

Not ours, no. Field hospitals are usually put up by either a group who does specifically medical stuff or as part of a larger organized display (like at a national park event). As far as fake wounds go, nobody in my unit does that, but I've seen it.

We have talked about carrying a dressed mannequin leg with a boot on it to throw into the air when artillery goes off, though.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How do you handle the actual fighting? What are the rules?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

McNally posted:

I go to reenactments in what was the Eastern Theater of the war: As far north as Gettysburg, as far south as maybe Petersburg (possibly Norfolk). I grew up in Northern Virginia, but my family comes from central New York.

In my group, I'd say that pretty much every man is genuinely interested in history. We actually have strict rules about politics in camp: Don't talk about politics.

Okay, that's cool as poo poo.

The Civil War is a incredibly interesting from a military history view, and I'm pissed that it gets so heavily politicized. I'm glad your group plays it straight.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

How do you handle the actual fighting? What are the rules?

I hear some units will have guys draw slips of paper from a hat to determine their fate: Survive the fight, wounded, killed, run away like a coward, etc. In my unit we just wing it. Are you tired? Okay, next time the rebs fire, take a hit. Rifle keeps misfiring? Take a hit. Out of blanks? Hit. The other side fired a good volley and it would look silly if nobody went down? Hit. Last event of the weekend and we're near the parking lot? THE WHOLE COMPANY IS WIPED OUT OH GOD

Really it's a matter of balancing the fact that you're probably there to burn powder and don't want to miss out and it would look silly if we keep blasting away at each other and nobody goes down.

At the higher levels of an event, there's a battle plan of sorts. "Okay, we're reenacting the 3rd Battle of Spankbottom Hill. That means you guys are representing such and such unit, so you come in first from over there, then you guys representing such and such brigade march in from this way a little later..."

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
What powder load do you use for reenacting, and are you shooting black powder or Pyrodex?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

McNally posted:

I hear some units will have guys draw slips of paper from a hat to determine their fate: Survive the fight, wounded, killed, run away like a coward, etc. In my unit we just wing it. Are you tired? Okay, next time the rebs fire, take a hit. Rifle keeps misfiring? Take a hit. Out of blanks? Hit. The other side fired a good volley and it would look silly if nobody went down? Hit. Last event of the weekend and we're near the parking lot? THE WHOLE COMPANY IS WIPED OUT OH GOD

Really it's a matter of balancing the fact that you're probably there to burn powder and don't want to miss out and it would look silly if we keep blasting away at each other and nobody goes down.

This actually sounds like a good way to hang out with other history nerds for a weekend and meet some new drinking buddies.

McNally posted:

At the higher levels of an event, there's a battle plan of sorts. "Okay, we're reenacting the 3rd Battle of Spankbottom Hill. That means you guys are representing such and such unit, so you come in first from over there, then you guys representing such and such brigade march in from this way a little later..."

This sounds like a good way to get stuck hanging out with a bunch of sperglords for an entire weekend.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Karl Rove posted:

What powder load do you use for reenacting, and are you shooting black powder or Pyrodex?

60 grains of black powder. Pyrodex isn't suitable for reenacting.

Coasterphreak posted:

This sounds like a good way to get stuck hanging out with a bunch of sperglords for an entire weekend.

It's not as bad as it sounds, actually. Nobody's standing there with a watch saying "okay, now you guys" or anything. Not that I've seen, anyway. It's more general "you guys go there, start fighting, get pushed back, then these guys will come up," not "after taking 300 steps to the northwest, turn 13 degrees to the right and fire exactly three volleys before withdrawing 200 yards southeast, leaving 11 casualties on the field..."

Though I'm sure people like that exist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I saw a reenactment that had specific reinforcements and flanking and narration of a French and Indian war battle, and the way it was done was informative without being mega-spergy. The closest thing to an obvious rehearsal they had was that everyone would freezeframe as the narrator explained the arrival of a new unit or the commitment of the reserve or some such. It was pretty cool, and they even explained that each man on the field would've represented X number of troops. It was like a 10 minute demo, tops, with maybe 4 or 5 pauses, so even if they were particular, it wouldn't have been that hard for the reenactors to rehearse it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
As a turbo-nerd who does this kind of thing for money in the summer, I appreciate this thread.

That's me in my 1867 British 1's with a Snider-Enfield (breech-loading conversion of the P53 Enfield,) please ignore my cartouche strap being way too lose. I've always kind of been curious about getting my hands on a set of Civil War union kit to see how it compares because that's who we would have been defending against at the fort I work at.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Generation Internet posted:

I've always kind of been curious about getting my hands on a set of Civil War union kit to see how it compares because that's who we would have been defending against at the fort I work at.

What fort is that? I reenacted the Battle of Ridgeway at Old Fort Erie last summer.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

McNally posted:

What fort is that? I reenacted the Battle of Ridgeway at Old Fort Erie last summer.

Fort Henry, which while a really nice fort was never attacked so there's nothing significant for reenactments around here. We mostly focus on the precision drill and fire at imaginary Americans instead.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Generation Internet posted:

Fort Henry, which while a really nice fort was never attacked so there's nothing significant for reenactments around here. We mostly focus on the precision drill and fire at imaginary Americans instead.

With Snider-Enfields? You guys are 50 years late to that party.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You look really sharp in that. Also that kit looks really expensive.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Have you reenacted during the current political climate? if so have you buttstroked any confederates wearing maga hats

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Have you reenacted during the current political climate? if so have you buttstroked any confederates wearing maga hats

I was at Cedar Creek last month, which was shut down to the public and the Confederate camp evacuated because apparently someone found a pipe bomb (or a fake pipe bomb, I'm still not sure).

Confederates don't wear maga hats on the field, that would be inaccurate.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The units I know play act as both sides (whatever is needed for the reenactment).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

This was apparently a big mistake and not intentional, but this was exciting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wwii-reenactment-too-real-for-man-shot-in-stomach/

WW2 German reenactor shot by M1 Carbine with live ammo, lived.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

McNally posted:

With Snider-Enfields? You guys are 50 years late to that party.

The story goes that half the reason our unit does 1867 is because in the 1930s they found a giant cache of Snider-Enfields formerly of the Canadian militia for us to use. I've never actually loaded anything from the muzzle or used percussion caps so I'm also assuming our blanks are a lot simpler to use, too, which is nice :v:

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

You look really sharp in that. Also that kit looks really expensive.

Since it's a paid job and not volunteer reenacting there's a QM who has a giant stock of all kinds of different uniforms. Having seen the sheets with the values on them, they're really expensive, I think we import our shackos and tunics from England.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 16, 2017

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I quit reenacting because of the current political climate.

I was with a group that did WWII - US, Germans, and (rarely) USSR. Political talk made things miserable and tore the group apart. I stopped going to events, as did others.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

like I can't see myself going to one of these things and not beating to death confederates and SS reenactors

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Surely my Dirlewanger cosplay won't raise any eyebrows

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl76rTxIyzI

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mlmp08 posted:

This was apparently a big mistake and not intentional, but this was exciting:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wwii-reenactment-too-real-for-man-shot-in-stomach/

WW2 German reenactor shot by M1 Carbine with live ammo, lived.

quote:

"I have always wanted to start working out you know and get the shredded abs. Get a six pack. But having a bullet rip through my stomach is not the shredded abs I wanted," the wounded Fullerton managed to joke.

loving get in :lol:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

loving get in :lol:

Not gonna lie, if something likes that happens to me, I hope I manage to crack a decent joke.

Y'know, instead of just saying "AAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

like I can't see myself going to one of these things and not beating to death confederates and SS reenactors

my Jewish WW2 infantry vet neighbor ran into a SS re-enactor at a "living history" event in 2010 or so and he told the guy "last time I saw a guy in that uniform it took him six hours to die"

He was pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

If there's one thing the Brits do well it's make me feel pretty.

• Locked thread