Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
In 2016 I picked up a slightly high mileage ex-fleet z71 LT for a decent price, wanting something with more utility than my current daily driver, a 97 miata i had turbo'd myself.

As I am not one to leave well enough alone, I picked up a top gun customs leveling kit for the front, some new black headlights, found a broken leaf in the back, so new leaf springs+addaleafs and procomp shocks were ordered and installed.

Then I decided I deserved new wheels and tires, so I picked up some Method MR305s in 17x8 and Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 285/70/17.

A few months later on a different forum someone decided to list their complete LSA swap kit for sale, and me, making poor choices as I do, decided the truck needed more power. Included were a zl1 lid, zl1 fuel rails, 42lb ls3 injectors, a crank pinning kit, and adapter plates.

So started a few months of gathering parts to delete my AFM and cam the truck at the same time. I picked up a used 212/218 VVT cam with a new actuator and sprocket for a song on ebay.

New pushrods, pac1218 valve springs, melling m365 oil pump, arp head bolts, lifters trays waterpump etc were ordered, hurting my wallet even more.

Eventually I tore the heads off and completed the cam swap and blower install in about a week.

Not too bad for 158k miles!

I used a trick turbo composite tank for my heat exchanger

Bosch Intercooler pump

Which feeds to this, then back up to the lid, and the circle of life is complete

I also installed speed-engineering 1 3/4" long tubes, offroad y and had a short custom exhaust made.

And here sits the engine completed, with ebay catchcan and home made 4" aluminum intake to stock maf to stock airbox.

I ran into fuel delivery issues once I got into the tuning phase, so ID850s were ordered and installed.

The issues persisted so I decided to drop the tank and install a walbro 450, but this is what I found

A new assembly was ordered and installed.

At this point I'm still having bad pressure drop and commanded afrs not being reached, as well as some issues fueling, so I've got a new charcoal canister and evap vent solenoid to be installed before I butcher the stock bucket and install the walbro. Heres a pair of short videos.

https://youtu.be/-8JFMU8rQnQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1-EhbmB5M

Hopefully this time next year I'll have some kind of mid-travel setup as the stock 158k mile shocks+leveling kit combo is garbage.

crutt fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

About drat time you posted this thing. :colbert:

So any plans for the transmission, or just run it until it pops? Shift kit should help extend its life by a few weeks :v:

Gonna guess you'll wind up going Walbro anyway. That stock top tank pic is pretty crispy (esp for this area), but the stock pump not keeping up is kinda a given with the mods you've done. FWIW, GM had a ton of recalls and "enhanced warranties" in the 00s, thanks to the plastic hose barbs on the pump cracking. The Silverado isn't affected AFAIK, but my Saturd was - came in handy when the fuel pump decided it was better suited to "spray all the gasoline everywhere, imma do my lawn sprinkler impersonation!" duty. It wouldn't hurt to punch your VIN into GM's owner center and see if any open recalls and "warranties" are still in effect - that's how I found out about the enhanced fuel pump warranty on my car (e: which got me a new OEM fuel pump module at ~110k).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 16, 2017

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
From everything I've read the 6l80e should be able to handle what I'm putting out, apparently 4th gear is the weak point but at that speed I'd probably throw the driveshaft first. From everything I've read the stock flex fuel pump SHOULD be able to handle 600 WHP on pump gas and I know I'm not near there, but yeah its already sitting on my bench and I've been doing some R&D on how to install it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid me assumed you had a 1500, not a 2500. Didn't realize you had the 80, though the ride height should have given away the 2500 bit.

Plans to tune for E15 or E85? I know E15 is getting a bit easier to find (hell I run that in the Saturd often, it runs fine on it), and E85 is easy to find if you go to TC (Racetrac on Main). I know you have a flex fuel capable ECU already, but I have no idea how many different kinds of tunes you can load in via HP Tuners/etc.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 16, 2017

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
It is a 1500, they started putting 6l80s in them in 09 over the 4l60 and 4l70 in the 1500 vortec max trucks, the early GMT900 1500s got the poo poo rear end 4l60

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well poo poo. The more you know. I didn't realize how high the 1500 rode these days either.

I'm (very obviously) not very knowledgeable about newer GM trucks. IMO the 60 should have never been in a full size truck.

... I still say a shift kit will still make it more fun to drive and maybe make the trans last a little longer. :v:

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Well poo poo. The more you know. I didn't realize how high the 1500 rode these days either.

I'm (very obviously) not very knowledgeable about newer GM trucks. IMO the 60 should have never been in a full size truck.

... I still say a shift kit will still make it more fun to drive and maybe make the trans last a little longer. :v:

I've looked into them but I dont know if I'm comfortable installing one. Most I've ever done with transmissions are clutch replacements and pan drop/filter replacements. I feel like it would be pretty easy to make a really expensive mistake

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

crutt posted:

I've looked into them but I dont know if I'm comfortable installing one. Most I've ever done with transmissions are clutch replacements and pan drop/filter replacements. I feel like it would be pretty easy to make a really expensive mistake

I installed the full transgo kit in my Allison 1k. It's about as simple as an in-the-pan filter change. You have to pull the valve body for the kit I used, but it's a handful of bolts and it drops out.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I installed the full transgo kit in my Allison 1k. It's about as simple as an in-the-pan filter change. You have to pull the valve body for the kit I used, but it's a handful of bolts and it drops out.

All 3 transgo kits require transmission removal :aaaaa:

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

crutt posted:

All 3 transgo kits require transmission removal :aaaaa:

Welps. That sucks.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I love threads about trucks. Especially forced induction trucks. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Project update: walbro 450 is installed in the stock bucket using the stock in bucket regulator

New fuel pressure gauge installed and showing steady psi,

3 big issues now: I buggered my fuel level sensor wires and now I have to drop the tank again to replace it, waiting for my fuel level to drop to make it easier. Number two, my tune seems really fucky in that it stumbles bad when I try to get rolling when it's not up to operating temp and I'm getting some kind of power cutout when I try to go WOT, and the third, most disconcerting issue is that of a full catch can after like two months of driving. I'm hoping it's just excessive blowby and not a cracked ringland etc. I'm stuck at work worrying about the past bit and won't be able to diagnose til after the 20th. Bonus dog and la harbor sunset pictures.

• Locked thread