Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
Desperately seeking advice, tips, tricks, anything for newly diagnosed diabetic dog.

My girly Frejya is 10, she's a mixed breed large dog. 90 lbs, a little on the heavy side, vet says she could lose some weight. She was slightly sick for about a week, she has had problems with arthritis so I put it down to that at first but she tanked a week ago today (Thursday 9 November) and we went off to the emergency vet. Turns out she's diabetic. I didn't know, I feel so bad, I never even suspected.

So she spent the night at the vets getting hydrated, her BS was 560 at initial testing and the next day down to 320. They let me take her home around noon. She seemed a bit perkier then but still needed to go back in the next day for BS testing. It was still high, about 240.

She's on 10 units of vetsulin, twice a day, 7 am and about 7 pm. She's also taking meloxicam 7.5 halved in the morning. Oh and she has an antibiotic for a UTI but that's only for one more day. They sent her home with Hill's w/d diet, both wet and dry food. I've been keeping the exact portions and schedule they recommended for her.

She seemed to feel better for about 4 days, then she tanked again. Wouldn't eat in the morning. I made her boiled chicken and she ate that all right. She seems to be weakening, like she can't get her back legs under her sometimes to get up. She's still a sweet loving girly tho. She whines a bit in the evenings. She's got no energy but she will get up and go outside if I get her leash.

Please, PI, I'm sure I've been a terrible pet parent, I didn't realize until she was so sick that it was anything but something small. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to make her better? We have a vet appointment this afternoon and I'm terrified. She's a rescue, if that pertains, we got her at a year old so anything that happened before then is a mystery.

Thank you for reading, please send loving thoughts her way. Her name is Freyja and she is my world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, when our (late) cat was diagnosed prediabetic, they put him on a low carb diet. So we had to find the lowest carb kibble and give it sparingly, and we ended up going with Fancy Feast pate and classic seafood...no gravies etc. I know with me, I have been able to keep my diabetes in check by eating low carb as well.

So, with Newton, it seemed to work, and he lost weight...and stayed just under diabetic levels for the most part by diet. Might be something to possibly look into?

EDIT: he didn't die of diabetes...he had a medical emergency :( Saddle thrombus is a horrible awful thing people :(

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I honestly don't know a single thing about dog diabetes. I just wanted to say that there is at least one internet person who is also sad for you and you dog and I hope she gets better.

My dog is 17+, blind and mostly deaf with some bad teeth, seizures, and I'm still glad I had those 7 more years. =D

Good luck!!! Hugs and doggy kisses!!

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
My dog Jerry had diabetes. He was 16 years old when we decided to put him to sleep in December of 2016. He had diabetes for about 4 years.

I'm not sure about the weakness when standing; I don't think he ever had that problem. I'm not a vet, but maybe that's just the arthritis? Once we got his medication dialed in just right (I think it was 3.5 on the syringe) he was pretty much the same happy dog we always knew.

It sounds like you figured out it was diabetes early enough, because the first vet we saw said it was something else and a year later our dog was blind (due to the diabetes). We fed him nothing but meat (with gravy) twice a day for the rest of his life. He hated getting shots. I'm not sure I can really help, though. Sorry. All I remember was I had to keep an eye on his water consumption. If he started drinking a bunch that meant his sugar was too high.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see how old this post was until just after replying. Hope everything worked out.

• Locked thread