Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm gonna wait until the season's over and then binge it because there's no way in hell I could've gotten through season 2 week-to-week and unless this season is a miracle half-court shot, probably same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Do we want a new thread, or just to rollover this one?

I'm cool either way. Just let me know if we need to change this thread title before the show starts.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Westworld Season 3: New setting, Same bullshit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
W3stworld

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

feedmyleg posted:

Well, reviews have hit.

They are not great.
Season 3 starts in tandem with digital downloads of Rise of Skywalker. Gonna ruin my weekend that date.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Well, reviews have hit.

They are not great.

quote:

Can Westworld reboot itself? The answer is: Maybe - but it doesn't really want to. Because while season 3 first starts off seeming like a brave new world, it's only a matter of time before the show is retreading familiar - and befuddling - ground.

quote:

Westworld is an artfully produced trip through topical and imagined wormholes, and the fact that it loses its way as often as its characters lose their minds is at once apropos and frustrating.

quote:

It's still a bit too much focused on the mystery-building rather than the character-building, but you can once again feel the twists serving the narrative rather than the other way around.

And those are the fresh reviews. :negative: I don't think the reviewers get the whole season so we don't even know if that last review is accurate or if it will be another season 2 everything is stupid finale.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ill probably watch anyway, but is not looking good

McSpanky posted:

I'm gonna wait until the season's over and then binge it because there's no way in hell I could've gotten through season 2 week-to-week and unless this season is a miracle half-court shot, probably same.

:same:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Am I stupid or aren't twists meant to serve the narrative rather than vice versa?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jeza posted:

Am I stupid or aren't twists meant to serve the narrative rather than vice versa?

It means they're writing toward what they think will be good twists to throw off the audience rather than toward good storytelling.

So in other words, just like season 2.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'll stick with watching and getting angry at terrible writing choices in modern Star Trek over another season of bullshit from Westworld.

I got the feeling watching Westworld that the writers wanted me to thank them for being so generous as to give me their pathetic musings. Like they were saying something vitally important and we, the viewers, needed to be educated by them and their amazing insights. (I'm not saying that's necessarily what the writers intended, I'm saying that's how it came across to me.) At least nuTrek has the courtesy to give me a reach-around once in a while. Westworld was like if SMG made a TV show, it's all aren't these themes important and storytelling and plot and characters don't matter, caring so little about them that they actively change entire plotlines on the fly, making things nonsensical in order to desperately try to outsmart reddit.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell yeah, I hope somebody puts their soul in that big red power loader, and I hope Tessa Thompson fights it, I don't watch this show for Reviews

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LMAO forever at pundits desperately scraping at the bottom of the barrel for their own take on “what is Westworld really trying to say?” when the answer to that question has always been “what if robots were cool?”

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just hope ERW gets to actually act again.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I do not have the patience for another season 2 of westworld. My hope was season 3 would move on to a straight forward action series.

I won't be watching season 3.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
This show is basically Riverdale for Programmers

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It means they're writing toward what they think will be good twists to throw off the audience rather than toward good storytelling.

So in other words, just like season 2.

No, they say the exact opposite of that - it won’t be like season 2 in this respect.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'll probably end up watching but I feel like I'm going to get taken out of the show once an episode because a lot of the far-flung future is clearly just Valencia.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

For me it’s going to be Beast Mode’s very poor acting ability.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One episode down, and zero new posts (aside from this one)? Whoa.

It certainly was an episode.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916814&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

new thread

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

McSpanky posted:

I watched s2 live, well at least the second half, and it was just me yelling "what the actual gently caress" at my monitor the entire time.

edit: whoops didn't see the new thread.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 18, 2020