Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Howdy, business goons. After like 10 years of poor planning and putting up with financial stress from extremely bad relationship decisions, I finally have enough money scraped together to get my awful teeth fixed in 2018.

So, uh, how in the gently caress do I shop around for dental insurance? My employer only offers kinda bare medical insurance with a $2000 deductible, and that only covers "emergency dental". I'd like something that can at least help me with items such as:
The enamel on my bottom molars has been hot garbage since I was a teen. I used to have that plastic coating stuff on them when I was on my grandparents' insurance, but now I use the sensitivity toothpaste. I'd like to get my teeth protected again.
One night a few years ago, a big ol' chunk of one of my top molars just fell off while I was eating some pizza. Somehow, there have been no complications or pain from this. I'd like to get it pulled or filled. Probably pulled at this point, but I'd get it filled it if it's salvageable.

Obviously I have what would be considered the dental equivalent of "pre-existing conditions". I have no particular dentist fear, it's just this is the first time in a good decade or so that I've had enough money kicking around to be able to afford treatment. But I'm also still uninsured in that area.

I've tried googling this a bit, but aside from the big lists of dental policies that resemble a groupon for regular cleanings, I'm not really sure how to start the process of calling AFLAC or whatever to be like, "please help finance my broken mouth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

The enamel on my bottom molars has been hot garbage since I was a teen. I used to have that plastic coating stuff on them when I was on my grandparents' insurance, but now I use the sensitivity toothpaste. I'd like to get my teeth protected again.
One night a few years ago, a big ol' chunk of one of my top molars just fell off while I was eating some pizza. Somehow, there have been no complications or pain from this. I'd like to get it pulled or filled. Probably pulled at this point, but I'd get it filled it if it's salvageable.

I can't really help with the rest of your post but I do have some experience with this bit. I assume you mean you got dental sealants when you were younger? I had that too, and after age ~20 or so a few of them came out and it definitely did seem like a chunk of my tooth came out (though it was really just the plastic stuff). You sure what you lost was actual tooth enamel and not just one of the sealants?

Anyway, when I lost mine I asked my dentist if they could put them back in and they said that no, generally after your teens they don't put those back ever and most insurance doesn't cover it for people over 18 even if they wanted to. Once you're an adult you're not "high risk" enough or something. Do ask your dentist regardless since ymmv but yeah that was my experience.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Dental insurance is mostly just prepaid cleanings, but they do negotiate predetermined rates with the dentists so worth getting. None are going to cover the cost of fixing your neglected teeth. If you have a dentist, ask them which insurer covers the most and go with that. Their billing person will know.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

Dental insurance is mostly just prepaid cleanings, but they do negotiate predetermined rates with the dentists so worth getting. None are going to cover the cost of fixing your neglected teeth. If you have a dentist, ask them which insurer covers the most and go with that. Their billing person will know.

Mine at least pays for a small part of fixing my neglected teeth, but yeah it's something pithy like 10% or a fixed payment per tooth ($50 I think?). They do seem to cover other stuff used with the procedure like novocaine though so not totally worthless?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ate all the Oreos posted:

I can't really help with the rest of your post but I do have some experience with this bit. I assume you mean you got dental sealants when you were younger? I had that too, and after age ~20 or so a few of them came out and it definitely did seem like a chunk of my tooth came out (though it was really just the plastic stuff). You sure what you lost was actual tooth enamel and not just one of the sealants?

Anyway, when I lost mine I asked my dentist if they could put them back in and they said that no, generally after your teens they don't put those back ever and most insurance doesn't cover it for people over 18 even if they wanted to. Once you're an adult you're not "high risk" enough or something. Do ask your dentist regardless since ymmv but yeah that was my experience.

No, believe me, it's like a sizable hole in the bottom/side of my tooth. It's some kind of supreme miracle that the nerve isn't exposed or something. I do avoid chewing with it.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet (:v:) and just have like $2000 in reserve for dental stuff next spring, huh? I should probably get insurance for cleanings, nonetheless.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Does this help? Plug in some info and it spits out a bunch of plan options. I put in my info and it gave me 29 dental plans ranging from $8 to $49 per month.
https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

Also what Elephanthead said. Also I'm going to go floss my teeth now. Good luck.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

zaurg posted:

Does this help? Plug in some info and it spits out a bunch of plan options. I put in my info and it gave me 29 dental plans ranging from $8 to $49 per month.
https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

Also what Elephanthead said. Also I'm going to go floss my teeth now. Good luck.

This helps a lot, actually. I previously thought healthcare.gov was just medical plans.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Dental insurance is a total shitshow; what loving insurance has a maximum cap on how much gets paid out!?! I haven't found anything to be worth it for me, I hope you get luckier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

moana posted:

Dental insurance is a total shitshow; what loving insurance has a maximum cap on how much gets paid out!?! I haven't found anything to be worth it for me, I hope you get luckier!

Until PPACA (Obamacare) was passed basically every plan had not only annual maximums, but lifetime maximums for payout. Usually around $1 million. PPACA allows the HHS Secretary to set the regulatory limits for that type of thing now and it is currently set at no lifetime maximum; but that can easily change.

Dental insurance shouldn't be thought of as insurance anyway. It is more a defined benefit plan where if needed they'll pay out an agreed upon amount up to that maximum. You will want to run the numbers for the plan you get because it can easily not be worth it even if you used up all of the benefits. Even the best plans out there won't cover most procedural type stuff. Fillings, xrays, exams, and if you're lucky partial payment for crowns is about the most you'll see. Some plans are cheap enough that the 2 cleanings per year alone is worth it. But definitely run the numbers.

For massive procedures and stuff you'll want to find a dentist that is willing to work with you on payments and is willing to create a roadmap of treatment. You should be able to get that with an exam.

• Locked thread