Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Mutual unintelligibility is not a condition for being a language. Scots is not English.

Yes it is, whatever the SNP might tell you.

Also yes Afrikaans is Dutch in much the same way American is English hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

Yes it is, whatever the SNP might tell you.

Also yes Afrikaans is Dutch in much the same way American is English hth

When I saw the last post was by a Brit I knew it'd be taking issue with Scots as a language, really makes some people mad that Scots is a language.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Pletterpet is the greatest word for hardhat ever.

And Duikweg is the best word for tunnel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Orange Devil posted:

A fellow student once asked me in class within earshot of the professor whether I agreed that she (the prof) was hot. Later he proceeded to show us pictures of his sister while telling us how hot she is.

I was shocked so told this story to another student, who is from Eindhoven. Her only comment was "well, he's from Helmond, that's just how they are there".

So if wikipedia tells me they eat cat in Helmond, I don't even raise an eyebrow anymore.

That's what I love about the internet, learning ridiculous regional stereotypes of regions I've never heard of.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Inescapable Duck posted:

That's what I love about the internet, learning ridiculous regional stereotypes of regions I've never heard of.

loving Helmonders at it again.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
So is Helmond the Florida of the Netherlands?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Do they do Black Pete in South Africa?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Do they do Black Pete in South Africa?

:catstare:

Oh my God no.

H&M had mass protests for a um hmmm let's be charitable and call it a :airquote:tone-deaf:airquote: advertisement.
You know what just in case I'm nws-ing this because holy poo poo H&M.
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/dNJ8uY1.png:nws:

I imagine the reaction to white guys putting on blackface and playing Santa's dancing slaves would not be...exactly warm.

Of course I've never been to South Africa's remaining whites-only sundown town so who knows what they do when no one darker than a light tan is watching.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 19, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Oh my God no.

H&M had mass protests for a um hmmm let's be charitable and call it a :airquote:tone-deaf:airquote: advertisement.
:nws:https://i.imgur.com/dNJ8uY1m.png:nws:

I imagine the reaction to white guys putting on blackface and playing Santa's dancing slaves would not be...exactly warm.

Of course I've never been to South Africa's remaining whites-only sundown town so who knows what they do when no one darker than a light tan is watching.

FYI that picture is too low quality to read the shirt. It reads "Coolest monkey in the jungle."

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Oh my God no.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/dNJ8uY1.png:nws:

Yea. The shirt was made for the UK market where "little monkey" is a term of endearment for kids. But because H&M is a global brand and websites know no boundaries, the choice of model was not exactly thought out. You don't call people monkeys in S.A. and Black Pete is beyond the pale (pun intended).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Afrikaans is Dutch that stopped evolving in the 1800's. It is kind of like how Shakespearean English is still English but sounds different in certain ways to modern English. I guess another example would be Quebecois French to French, in that Quebecois French sounds really outdated to French speakers from France.
I always thought Afrikaans sounded a lot closer to Flemish than Dutch, but that is just my opinion is a non-Afrikaans speaking South African.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Mutual unintelligibility is not a condition for being a language. Scots is not English. Swedish is not Danish. Afrikaans is not Dutch. Spanish is not Portuguese.

You should visit Scotpol once in a while when that particular issue gets tossed around.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Madkal posted:

Afrikaans is Dutch that stopped evolving in the 1800's.

Uhmm....

No.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What does 1800s Dutch even look like. Modern Dutch looks like Shakespeare to me, a zoo of funny verb endings and complicated spelling and obscure words.

Oh wow that's wild.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Orange Devil posted:

Uhmm....

No.

Sorry. Kind of misspoke there. What I meant was that Netherlands Dutch evolved one way and Afrikaans another.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

You should visit Scotpol once in a while when that particular issue gets tossed around.

I note with interest that neither you nor anyone else in that thread actually writes in Scots, though :thunk: Whereas eg the French and German pol threads are full of people writing in French and German.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

I note with interest that neither you nor anyone else in that thread actually writes in Scots, though :thunk: Whereas eg the French and German pol threads are full of people writing in French and German.

That's an odd standard for the recognition of a language.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
woah no country's ever had more than one language used regularly

no country's ever had a language start dying out because of deliberate displacements

british people have never been patronising about scottish culture

non-british languages have never been subjected to political weaponisation to support an imperial agenda

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

What does 1800s Dutch even look like. Modern Dutch looks like Shakespeare to me, a zoo of funny verb endings and complicated spelling and obscure words.

Oh wow that's wild.

Contrast with Afrikaans from the 1800's

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

Contrast with Afrikaans from the 1800's

Thank God for Atatürk.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

That's an odd standard for the recognition of a language.

I mean I recognise a language when people actually write things in it voluntarily and outside of the Scottish Parliament online and i guess Trainspotting that seems to be basically nobody in Scotland? Unlike eg Welsh even when the UK government was in fact trying to suppress Welsh identity.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots-language_literature

Hmm, a dearth of culture in a country ravaged by economic shittery since the 80s can only mean that a language isn't actually a language.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is this some Eddie Izzard performance art?
"What are these noises you're making, this can't be a language. Do you even have any literature ?"
"Yea right here--"
"We'll I've never read it, no literature no language, that's the rules I've just made up"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

in typical fashion the english will allow scots to be a language as soon as it's dead and no sooner

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

feedmegin posted:

Ignoring everything else, written language is really just an interpretation of language, not language itself. Language can stand perfectly on its own without writing, as seen for the majority of human history.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Afrikaans is just English with a Dutch accent.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
People (and states) always get really bent out of shape over related minority languages, much more so than over alien languages. I've met Germans who don't believe Plattdüüts exists, and apparently a bunch of French and Spanish people get all uppity about their respective Occitans. It's probs because of the (mostly very successful) campaigns to eliminate said minority languages that are pretty difficult to justify these days unless you don't accept that the minorities ever existed.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I will be dead and buried before I recognize the legitimatimacy of "Eemlands" as a dialect

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

People (and states) always get really bent out of shape over related minority languages, much more so than over alien languages. I've met Germans who don't believe Plattdüüts exists, and apparently a bunch of French and Spanish people get all uppity about their respective Occitans. It's probs because of the (mostly very successful) campaigns to eliminate said minority languages that are pretty difficult to justify these days unless you don't accept that the minorities ever existed.
See also the Swedish approach to Scanian in southern Sweden. They basically pretend its just a Swedish dialect, when linguistics and history show it to be part of the East Danish language - which is also still represented on the last bit of East Danish territory they didn't (permanently) conquer, the Danish island of Bornholm. Obviously, the answer here was to argue that the dialect on Bornholm was also simply a Swedish dialect, a sub-dialect of the South Swedish dialect which Scanian is supposedly also part of.

I mean, it should come as no surprise that the dialect on Bornholm hasn't received the best treatment from the Danish side either, I'm just struck by how willing people are to go in their quest to deny uncomfortable history. Like, it's one thing to do it for languages within your own border, but attempting to rewrite (linguistic) history cross-border seems a bit crazy. It'd be sorta like Denmark claiming Plattdüüts is a Danish dialect, though I suppose being on the receiving end of conquests at both ends has given us fewer reasons to do that particular sort of historical rewrite.

In regards to why, I think the whole issue of linguistic and cultural uniformity being enforced by the nation state rather than the nation being some eternal entity that finally had political representation, is probably also a big part of why people get so mad about this. It's like, these people would say it was right if it did happen that way, because their nation is great, but it didn't happen, because their nation was always great.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 20, 2018

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Roch the win i the clear day's dawin
Blaws the clouds heilster-gowdie owre the bay
But thair's mair nor a roch win blawin
Thro the Great Glen o the warl the day
It's a thocht that would gar oor rottans
Aa thae rogues that gang gallus fresh and gay
Tak the road an seek ither loanins
Wi their ill-ploys tae sport an play

Nope, clearly no different from English.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So Scots is basically the equivalent to what would happen if I wrote words how they sound with an Australian accent?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Afrikaans was there all along
The dutch came later

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

JBP posted:

So Scots is basically the equivalent to what would happen if I wrote words how they sound with an Australian accent?

So you know what "roch", "heilster-gowdie", "rottans", "gang", "gallus", and "loanins" mean?

Different vocabulary, heavier similarities with Scandinavian languages, and divergent grammatical structures as well. If there'd been any decent level of funding or interest we'd have formalised structures, instead of the vague assortment of regional speakers we have now. It's the same thing with Gaelic- Irish Gaeilge benefits from a deliberate political drive to preserve and maintain it as a grammatically coherent and universally learnable language and has been modernised as such, with a lot of regional grammatical and pronunciation conventions being excluded from the "mainstream" Gaelic; whereas Scottish Gaidhlig has more or less been left to fester with its archaic forms, not really being universally modernised and being harder to learn as a result. If, however, you learn Irish Gaeilge as a non native and then travel around some of the different regions, you'll find a lot of regional differences that make it much harder or even impossible to understand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Nope, clearly no different from English.
Much like any lumping and splitting exercise, the difference is made more stark by south-eastern English being far more successful at eliminating other competing forms over the past two centuries than it was with Scots. Viewed on a spectrum it's not south-eastern English, but is this English?

Booath careful and sober aw am,
An' moor patient nor mony a scoor;
Bud it's hard to booath wark hard an' clam,
An' be bothered wi' duns at yo'r door.
Aw've tried o mi life to ged on,
An neaw, when aw'm welly worn through,
Aw think as id stans me upon
To sing "Wod con a weyver lad do?"

Maybe languages are dialects that survive elimination attempts by hierarchical centralization.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Guavanaut posted:

Much like any lumping and splitting exercise, the difference is made more stark by south-eastern English being far more successful at eliminating other competing forms over the past two centuries than it was with Scots. Viewed on a spectrum it's not south-eastern English, but is this English?

Booath careful and sober aw am,
An' moor patient nor mony a scoor;
Bud it's hard to booath wark hard an' clam,
An' be bothered wi' duns at yo'r door.
Aw've tried o mi life to ged on,
An neaw, when aw'm welly worn through,
Aw think as id stans me upon
To sing "Wod con a weyver lad do?"

Maybe languages are dialects that survive elimination attempts by hierarchical centralization.

I'm quite happy simultaneously admitting that the statement "X is a language" is inherently political and continuing to state that Scots is a language.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Afrikaans is by far the easiest foreign language to understand as a native English speaker that I've experienced. Its got so many similar words, and such a comparatively similar structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This part is breaking my brain

• Locked thread