Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.
So, this may be a weird thing to bring up in the gaming forums of SA, but I'm taking a class at my college on free speech, and our final paper can be about anything free speech-related.

Naturally, the first thing that came to mind was to do one about a video game :v:

I have this idea of doing a sort of analysis paper on the final Codec cutscene from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It covers how the rise of the information era has lead to, among other things, an influx of information that is mostly "garbage" and untrustworthy, a more mainstream form of selecting information and passing on info that is deemed "worthy" of being shared with later generations (which is an essential part of human history, but it is especially prevalent with the Internet and things like social media), and how this can be greatly abused.

It's been a while since I played MGS2, however, let alone watch the final Codec cutscene to be able to understand it fully. So what I'm asking is, what would be some good suggestions for research on the themes MGS2 covers? And also, if whatever I said in the previous paragraph about the final Codec is incorrect somehow, what is it really about/what is the actual message?

Please understand, I'm not making this thread to make you do my homework for me, I just thought it'd be an interesting discussion to bring up, seeing how the overall messages of MGS2 aren't talked about nearly enough in this day and age.

PortalFreak fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PortalFreak posted:

So, this may be a weird thing to bring up in the gaming forums of SA, but I'm taking a class at my college on free speech, and our final paper can be about anything free speech-related.

Naturally, the first thing that came to mind was to do one about a video game :v:

I have this idea of doing a sort of analysis paper on the final Codec cutscene from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It covers how the rise of the information era has lead to, among other things, an influx of information that is mostly "garbage" and untrustworthy, a more mainstream form of selecting information and passing on info that is deemed "worthy" of being shared with later generations (which is an essential part of human history, but it is especially prevalent with the Internet and things like social media), and how this can be greatly abused.

It's been a while since I played MGS2, however, let alone watch the final Codec cutscene to be able to understand it fully. So what I'm asking is, what would be some good suggestions for research on the themes MGS2 covers? And also, if whatever I said in the previous paragraph about the final Codec is incorrect somehow, what is it really about/what is the actual message?

Please understand, I'm not making this thread to make you do my homework for me, I just thought it'd be an interesting discussion to bring up, seeing how the overall messages of MGS2 aren't talked about nearly enough in this day and age.

I would probably include something about how the control of information eventually leads to the control of people. Although, I think now it would be wise to extend your paper past the scope of MGS2 since controlling information to control people has been a thing for a long time.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

Bumping this for more advice (not that yours is bad ofc).

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
No offense, but do your own research on the topic. That's the point of the assignment.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

No offense, but do your own research on the topic. That's the point of the assignment.

Oh I am doing my own research, I just thought it’d be interesting to bring up and have a discussion about here in addition to researching it on my own.

I probably shouldn’t have made this thread tho in retrospect cus I thought it would be hard for me to not come across as “pls do my research for me lol”

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

First suggestion would be to actually go back and watch the dang codec.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

watch the Adam Curtis documentaries "The Power of Nightmares" and "Hypernormalization" and go from there, imho

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

purkey posted:

First suggestion would be to actually go back and watch the dang codec.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

blackguy32 posted:

I would probably include something about how the control of information eventually leads to the control of people. Although, I think now it would be wise to extend your paper past the scope of MGS2 since controlling information to control people has been a thing for a long time.

The president controls the corporations to control the people.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/index.htm

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wrote https://a a while ago. I'm not sure how helpful it'll be, but it's relevant to the subject, so it might give you some ideas if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Remind yourself that the really evil people who want humanity to think in one way, their way, are telling you that diverse ideas are bad. Watch the dang codec.

• Locked thread