Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Problem description: My home built machine has recently begun locking up at irregular times. It becomes completely unresponsive to point where even pressing caps lock doesn't activate the relevant light on the keyboard. This started happening shortly after I replaced a faulty motherboard and the November Windows 10 service pack was released. It only happens every 24 hours of on time or so and doesn't appear to be related to what I'm doing - I may be playing a hardware demanding game, listening to music or even just leaving the computer idle.

Attempted fixes: I've gone through pretty much every suggestion I've found online for Windows 10 hard locks, including:
Removed third party antivirus.
Disabled link state power management.
Disabled hibernation.
Edited page memory.
Ensured all drivers are up to date, including my SSD's firmware.
Ensured the BIOS is up to date (and disabled any power saving features).
Ran relevant tools to check Win10 install integrity.
Tried using just one stick of RAM - no change to crashes on either.
There may be other steps I've attempted - went through tens of pages of Windows 10 crash tips.
I've also run utilities to check on the health of my two hard drives, and they've come back clean.

Recent changes: It's a new motherboard - this was to replace the old one that died in a similar way to how the system is currently crashing; everything completely froze and was unresponsive. The difference is that on the old motherboard the system wouldn't turn back on again. Everything ran fine on the new motherboard for about two weeks before this started happening. My main suspicion at this point is that this is a PSU fault - I was hoping that someone here could recommend a program that can monitor voltages continuously to a file and that would be retrievable in the event of a crash.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64x

System specs: Custom built machine:
Asus H81-PLUS socket 1150 8-Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5 4690 3.50GHz
XFX XXX 650W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply
Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB 2.5inch SATA III SSD
Samsung HD 1TB 103SJ
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, the PSU would be a good bet. How old is it?

Before replacing the PSU you could try using onboard GPU and seeing if things were more stable.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I'd replace my PSU and I'd start closely monitoring temperatures to make sure they're not spiking.

Mis-applied thermal paste or deteriorating fans can be an issue too.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

I had an almost identical issue (freezing was more frequent and consistent though), including thinking the issue was either with a PSU or motherboard. Turns out it was almost definitely with the C-state options. I disabled the Intel R C-state Tech in the BIOS (also check C1E function and make sure it's disabled), and my system seems to be running fine. Not sure if it will actually work for you, but the problem seems really similar, and I'd definitely try it before replacing parts.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 15, 2017

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Thanks guys.

PSU is around 5 years old. I'll try the C-State options and then see about a new PSU if that doesn't work.

• Locked thread