Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

:synpa:
Back on my terrible indian bullshit:

LET'S PLAY INDIAN!

a Wonder Book (With a washable cover!) from 1950 that I bought my very white wife as a present and a joke. She's an educator of small children, so whenever I can find a weird, preferably vintage or antique book for children, I tend to snag it. This I couldn't resist because of how shockingly bad it was.

The plot is then that there will be a school play about the first thanksgiving and Susie is chosen to be a pilgrim because-

Spoiler: The kid chosen to play the 'Indian Chief' gets sick and Susie gets to live out her dream and ruins the play. The teacher is thankful that the upcoming nativity play has 'no Indians.'

This one is not terrible and I never new it existed-

Found as is, no dust jacket, but the simple cover stood out to me at a yard sale.

It's a children's book called "Where the Buffaloes Begin" and was published in 1981, written by Frederick Warne, and when I opened it - unmistakably illustrated by Stephen Gammell.

Moving on from ~The Native Zone~

Here's a children's story book, about children, with no publication date but with a gift inscription from 1925

One of the things I love about vintage books is finding inscriptions, drawings, notes or personal bookmarks.

Appropriately cheery material.

A fun little (Dutch?) book about cats found in an antique shop, I bought just for the illustrations inside.

I have this poor, ragged book from 1883 I found online:
Curfew Must Not Ring Tonight

A poem/story that my wife's late grandmother loved and loved to tell to my wife as a child. So closely associated is it with her memories of her grandmother that she has the phrase tattooed on her in remembrance. Maybe one day I'll chance upon a slightly better version of the same era, but it is on display on a shelf at home.

Droogie fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Goddamn it Gutter Phoenix, there’s a new Night Court and you’re nowhere to be found.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Droogie posted:

One of the things I love about vintage books is finding inscriptions, drawings, notes or personal bookmarks.

I am 100% sure that I have accidentally sold/given away books with $20's inside of them. I need to leave neater stuff in books cause I agree, it's very cool. I once found a love note written into a copy of The Stranger by Camus. Lost to a flood. :(

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Desert Bus posted:

I am 100% sure that I have accidentally sold/given away books with $20's inside of them. I need to leave neater stuff in books cause I agree, it's very cool. I once found a love note written into a copy of The Stranger by Camus. Lost to a flood. :(

I found some newspaper clippings in my copy of Abominable Snowman: Legend Come to Life by Ivan T. Sanderson:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have a copy of The Legends of Tono full of vacation photos from Tono, Japan.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Found the most British book possible in a bar/hostel in Reykjavik

I've only ever been to Edinburgh and none of the pubs I visited there were featured.
Maybe they weren't as good in 1990.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My mom was going through stuff and found some neat old books. This one is literally falling apart so I just bagged and boarded it cause why not:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cool :catte:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
the kid in the chair is a vampire

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Found some cool books at a garage sale today

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Hollywood Babylon is fun. Some of it may even be true.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

wa27 posted:

Found some cool books at a garage sale today

That must be Johnny 5 Aces' grandpa.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

lifg posted:

Hollywood Babylon is fun. Some of it may even be true.

Someone gave me Hollywood Babylon when I was like 13. I hardly knew who any of the people were but the scandalousness was still great. Now I want to check it out again, it’s almost like remembering a favorite children’s book.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Picked this up. It's not a little pamphlet either this thing is thick and could be used as a weapon. The author really does not like the CIA and pretty much immediately alleges they were infiltrated with Nazis after WW2.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"And this is how I warm my fingers."

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Found in an op shop.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
My partner has just moved in and brought a bunch of interesting books, some of which I'll share here, I think.

She was given this, new, in the early-ish 1970s, and her copy is pretty... used. But I do like Robert Crumb. I don't think that, at 6-y-o, she knew what a Fi e Joint Soup is.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I found some wonderful old Judy Blumes in the Red Cross op shop and thought I would replace my awful modern copy.

(that being said, now that I handle the old paperback I think I better keep both, since it's on its last legs.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Teach posted:

My partner has just moved in and brought a bunch of interesting books, some of which I'll share here, I think.

She was given this, new, in the early-ish 1970s, and her copy is pretty... used. But I do like Robert Crumb. I don't think that, at 6-y-o, she knew what a Fi e Joint Soup is.

Man you'd never guess R. Crumb had a fetish, would you?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Man you'd never guess R. Crumb had a fetish, would you?

A fetish? A? He's got them all AFAIK.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Man had more fetishes than the British Museum.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Found a perfectly ordinary paperback in the op shop.

Looks like someone called Tim previously found it and passed it on to Nabeela.

Uh oh, Nabeela appears to be child.

If you're in Bremer Bay, Nabeela has a fine selection of childrens' books and one adult book in her collection!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Favourite Foods of Celebs from Vantaa