Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Posting a manga fav is perfectly fine imo though i must admit i had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about with those descriptions and the covers in no way indicate that it's about volleyball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I read more manga than western comics but if I'm going to make a post about it* on a non-anime board, I'll at least add some context, maybe a little blurb over what it is about.

*(I won't)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favourite manga this year (that I read, rather than released) was Lone Wolf and Cub. Goddamn that book is so good.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Samuringa posted:

I read more manga than western comics but if I'm going to make a post about it* on a non-anime board, I'll at least add some context, maybe a little blurb over what it is about.

*(I won't)

Manga is perfectly acceptable on this, the comics board.

I can't get over how bad that post was though. "Did you claim to like this foreign comic to trick me?"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, if it's just volleyball and they don't actually use the spear and shield in what appears to be a junkyard then boring.

The spear is a metaphor for Yamaguchi's jump float serve, which he has spent the series honing into a deadly weapon. The shield is a metaphor for Tsukishima's patient read blocking, which was strong enough to stuff the most powerful spiker in the region. The dump is because their team is the Crows.

site posted:

Posting a manga fav is perfectly fine imo though i must admit i had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about with those descriptions and the covers in no way indicate that it's about volleyball

Be fair, they are wearing volleyball uniforms.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How would I, a person who doesn't watch men's volleyball, know that

quote:

The spear is a metaphor for Yamaguchi's jump float serve, which he has spent the series honing into a deadly weapon. The shield is a metaphor for Tsukishima's patient read blocking, which was strong enough to stuff the most powerful spiker in the region. The dump is because their team is the Crows.

This is literally impossible to discern unless you read the book already

site fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 31, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another thing I'd put on my best of 2017 is Snotgirl. I really liked Snotgirl.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

Manga is perfectly acceptable on this, the comics board.

I can't get over how bad that post was though. "Did you claim to like this foreign comic to trick me?"

I reread the post in question and I stand by my response to it. This is Something Awful, home of deep and strange irony, and I wasn't alone in thinking I was missing a joke. Sincerity was a possibility I allowed in my original response anyway.

Of course someone's favorite comic could be manga, but I would hope if someone is posting about some sick 16 volume volleyball manga where dudes have spears, they'd provide a bit more context, rather than assuming everyone is familiar with it.

Anyway, I don't know if I've actually read a comic that came out this year. I'm usually reading stuff from decades ago.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

To be fair, I would make fun of someone if their favorite comic of the year was a western book about Volleyball too.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anyway, I don't know if I've actually read a comic that came out this year. I'm usually reading stuff from decades ago.

The lone modern release I picked up this year was the new Empowered volume, so yeah, high five. I think my only new picks for me were buying the rest of Lucifer and I was given two random trades by my sister I haven't dug into yet. They might be new? I have no idea.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

My favourite manga this year (that I read, rather than released) was Lone Wolf and Cub. Goddamn that book is so good.

It's so good that I, professional manga hater, loves it and has those lovely tiny books they released fifteen years ago. I really wish it had a normal sized version.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Retro Futurist posted:

To be fair, I would make fun of someone if their favorite comic of the year was a western book about Volleyball too.

If there's a Western comic about Volleyball as good as Haikyuu, I'd be all over it. But I can't really imagine it. American comics always seen to have at least something that gets in the way of a good clean emotional story. Like, some kinda immature grittyness, or Morrison-esque meta analysis, or some form of lampshading that just underlines the creator's lack of confidence in the material, or even just lovely Josh Whedon-esque dialogue. I can't remember the last time I read an American comic that took itself seriously enough and had enough confidence to just play a scene out like this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Volleyball is...

A sport!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Be fair, they are wearing volleyball uniforms.

The guy's wearing pants with one leg.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

If there's a Western comic about Volleyball as good as Haikyuu, I'd be all over it. But I can't really imagine it. American comics always seen to have at least something that gets in the way of a good clean emotional story. Like, some kinda immature grittyness, or Morrison-esque meta analysis, or some form of lampshading that just underlines the creator's lack of confidence in the material, or even just lovely Josh Whedon-esque dialogue. I can't remember the last time I read an American comic that took itself seriously enough and had enough confidence to just play a scene out like this.

Read less DC and Marvel comics.

Also, Morrison owns

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Retro Futurist posted:

Sports Manga are good and, somehow, more bombastic than the straight up action ones.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
When do they kiss inthe volleyball book?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Another thing I'd put on my best of 2017 is Snotgirl. I really liked Snotgirl.

God this would easily be in my worst of 2017. I read the first trade and thought it was horrible.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Well, whether it's eastern or western comics you prefer, Happy New Years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

But if you like northern comics you can go to hell.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

site posted:

Wanna see a top 10 list more awful than any CBR top 10 versions of hulk to gently caress

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/946772856712585221P
God the pretentiousness is so awful, did Ted Rall write this?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Happy goon year, goons. Even though midnight is a long way away on the west coast (aka best coast) I plan on getting good and toasted now before any guests arrive so for now I hope your year are filled with good comics, crazy fun times, friends and family, peace, a slightly less crazy world and lots of smiles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

If you like northern comics though gently caress you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

If you like northern comics though gently caress you.

gently caress YOU CAPTAIN CANNUCK

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Happy new year, you filthy animals.

Rhyno posted:

gently caress YOU CAPTAIN CANNUCK

gently caress off, eh? George Freeman for life.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/THEGaryBusey/status/947684045860638720

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

January 2018 thread over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845214&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

Read less DC and Marvel comics.

Also, Morrison owns

Morrison does not own.

• Locked thread