Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So something screeched and my gaming PC instantly died. On my only day off before 2018. Trying to determine if the power supply gave up when I opened the microsoft VR app (mixed reality explorer), as that causes the vr headset to power up. I did not smell any burnt smells and the power supply didn't seem very warm right after.

Problem description:

I purchased a Lenovo Explorer (Windows Mixed reality). Plugged it in and got it up and running an hour ago. Did a reboot as some updates came through while setting it up. After reboot, clicked start, and chose "Mixed Reality Viewer". The instant I did, I heard a screech sound like a fan bearing seizing up and the computer lost power within a second. I suspect the screech noise was something letting go in the power supply.

Attempted fixes:

Attemped power cycle, no go. Unplugged hdmi/usb connections and tried to power up, no go. Unplugged powersupply, turned off power supply switch, turned on and plugged in, no go. When I turn off the switch and turn it back on, my case fans turn on for a split second and then the fan case lights go dim and die out slowly and the fans stop.

Recent changes: Plugged in Lenovo Explorer headset. This is 1 USB3 connector and 1 HDMI2 connector.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, latest updates afaik (Cant boot computer to see build# etc)

System specs:

EVGA 600 B1 100-B1-0600-KR 80+ BRONZE 600W power supply
DIYPC DIY-F2-O Black/Orange USB 3.0 Micro-ATX Mini Tower
Hyper 212 Cpu fan
CORSAIR Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
ASRock Z270M Pro4 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 mobo
SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 250GB sdd
Intel Core i5-7600K Kaby Lake (Overclocked to 4.8ghz)
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just realised the power supply came with a test connector. I plug in the tester, power up the power supply and its flat dead. I guess this means it's the supply right ?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonathan posted:

Just realised the power supply came with a test connector. I plug in the tester, power up the power supply and its flat dead. I guess this means it's the supply right ?

Sounds like it.

• Locked thread