Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

idk why he didn't play the playstation version. the fmv was atrocious and hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aawA5usaoqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I can beat Mortal Kombat 1 on Genesis on very hard every time. On Mortal Kombat 2 I can barely beat it on very easy

did they make 2 a lot harder or what

I remember MK1 being easy to cheese by using jump kicks over and over, at least against Goro and Shang Tsung. That seemed to go away in MK2 because I found that one to be hard too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
MK2 had perfect-play AI and I'm pretty sure it read your inputs. I'm not sure it can really be won without exploiting the AI somehow.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Justin Godscock posted:

After we got Freddy Kruger, Jason Vorhees and Leatherface in the newest MK games as characters it makes me really want Netherrealm Studios to go out and make a MK-style game but with horror movie characters. I've said this so many times I'm sure someone remembers me and is angry.

Yes, there is the independent game Terrordrome but it plays like something someone made in their garage (not in a good way).

Hell yeah! Ed Boon must have some dirt on someone or is just the most charismatic guy in the world, because the cross-licencing he's managed to pull off is crazy. if anyone could manage it, it'd be that dude... unless people got all pissy like when people weren't allowed to do certain Fatalities on Kratos as it'd make him "look bad". :rolleyes:

!Klams posted:

Im like a massive loving hellboy geek, I'm fuckin' all about the B.P.R.D, and I really love Injustice 2, and I'd say... save your money. :smith:

Aw gently caress.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

1redflag posted:

Remember that Mortal Kombat Mythologies game that was like a Sub-Zero sidescroller/platformer/action game on N64?

it was a side scroller where you had to press a button not on the dpad to change the direction you were facing lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

facebook jihad posted:

I remember MK1 being easy to cheese by using jump kicks over and over, at least against Goro and Shang Tsung. That seemed to go away in MK2 because I found that one to be hard too.

You can cheese Motoro in UMK3 with that move. However Shao Khan is impossible on any difficulty God drat

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Mortal Monday

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Remember that Batman Forever (at least on the SNES, maybe on other platforms) runs on the Mortal Kombat engine.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evobatman posted:

Remember that Batman Forever (at least on the SNES, maybe on other platforms) runs on the Mortal Kombat engine.

that game was a piece of poo poo

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

facebook jihad posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

MK2 had perfect-play AI and I'm pretty sure it read your inputs. I'm not sure it can really be won without exploiting the AI somehow.

Using Jax in MK2, I used to cheese the hell out of the Kintaro stage by crouching and low jabbing the poo poo outta him. He'd get locked in a semi-permanent block whenever you jabbed, so he'd get stuck like that for the rest of the match as long as you kept it up. It took a while to whittle his health down to nothing.

Then I'd get my rear end kicked by Shao Khan.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

that game was a piece of poo poo

i remember my brother and i renting it and getting stuck on the first screen because you needed to use the lovely grappling hook mechanics to hit a very specific part of the ceiling to move on. the rental game not coming with instructions didn't help at all.

it was also a cartridge game with cd-like load times

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The bosses in the SNES/Genesis MK games were so drat cheap they had to be unbalanced. I agree the developers must have had them read inputs and I have yet to find a proper cheesing strategy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

i remember my brother and i renting it and getting stuck on the first screen because you needed to use the lovely grappling hook mechanics to hit a very specific part of the ceiling to move on. the rental game not coming with instructions didn't help at all.

it was also a cartridge game with cd-like load times

I never understood how that game had load times. The only other cartridge game I remember having load times was Street Fighter Alpha on snes but that's because it had a special decompression chip. What the hell was the reason Batman loving Forever had load times?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

anyone remember how many drat Street Fighter IIs there were lol. it was like Hyper Championship Edition then like Turbo Fighting Edition Alpha lol. what a joke hahahaha

looked them up just for fun:

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (orig)
Street Fighter II Champion edition
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

-this doesn't include the alpha games, that has its own fuckin list

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I remember that there's a way to screw with the MK2 AI. It involves jumping backwards, then the AI jumps after you after a delay, giving you enough time to follow up with a jump kick. Sub-Zero can also do a ground freeze - jump kick - slide combo. Works all the way up to Kintaro then it's just "get hosed".

Randomly smacking buttons on my master system pad reassuring my folks that there wasn't any blood in the game and I didn't know that fatalities so it was okay for babby me to play. Then accidentally putting on the blood code that I didn't know about. Oops.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQtJ2bT4Yo0

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I can't remember if it was MK2 or 3 but in one of the games the AI could pretty much walk through your attacks and throw you, probably the most blatant cheating I'd seen in a video game at that point.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have MK3 on Genesis but I could never play it right because I don't have a 6-button controller

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DeadButDelicious posted:

I remember that there's a way to screw with the MK2 AI. It involves jumping backwards, then the AI jumps after you after a delay, giving you enough time to follow up with a jump kick. Sub-Zero can also do a ground freeze - jump kick - slide combo. Works all the way up to Kintaro then it's just "get hosed".

Randomly smacking buttons on my master system pad reassuring my folks that there wasn't any blood in the game and I didn't know that fatalities so it was okay for babby me to play. Then accidentally putting on the blood code that I didn't know about. Oops.

Holy cow you had Mortal Kombat on the Master System? I don't even remember it being advertised as existing in the commercials. They only mentioned snes, Genesis, Game Boy, and Game Gear

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I think like 95% of the opinions in this thread would change if people would replay the old games today. You'll be disgusted in your younger self when you realize how easy the bosses actually were. MK2 is slow and boring but to its credit it does have the best fatalities.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Holy cow you had Mortal Kombat on the Master System? I don't even remember it being advertised as existing in the commercials. They only mentioned snes, Genesis, Game Boy, and Game Gear

I didn't own copies myself, but the village I grew up in had a weirdly large number of Master System and Mega Drive owners and only like, two NES owners? So cartridge swapping was rampant, got to experience both MK1 and 2 on the Master System. Kano isn't in MK1, MK 2 was missing Raiden, Kung Lao, Baraka and... I think Johnny Cage? I've never had the fortune of seeing an MK3 Master System cartridge but wikipedia is telling me it was only released in Brazil so yeah.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Marmaduke! posted:

I can't remember if it was MK2 or 3 but in one of the games the AI could pretty much walk through your attacks and throw you, probably the most blatant cheating I'd seen in a video game at that point.

As I recall it was both 2 and 3, you get anywhere near them and it's a constant "Huaa-oop! Huaa-oop! Huaa-oop!"

I don't know about the others, but I know in MK3, there was a particular kind of fatality that involved doing a very long and complex combo of hits that I think caused the opponent to simply explode when finished. I think every character could do it, but they each had their own specific combo that had to be done to achieve it. I could NEVER pull it off, no matter how many times I looked at my precious cheat code books that showed the buttons :(

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 24, 2017

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

I managed to do a brutality successfully once and that was enough.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
Which game had friendships?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Dubplate Fire posted:

Which game had friendships?

Those started in MK2, as did Babalities.

Re: bullshit AI - I've heard that called "MK walker" before because the AI just walks up to you blocking and dodging everything before it wrecks you. MK2 was awful for this and I would get so pissed when trying to uppercut and the CPU just goes "lol throw time". Such horseshit!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i was totally in little league tai kwan do class when mortal kombat came out and every kid in class was talking about it and doing moves while shouting toasty

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbsfJinaZWc

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Yes let me tackle someone much lighter than me standing on the edge of a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I hope I make that sound when I die

• Locked thread