Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you like the movie?
Yes, it's biblical-based plot was fantastic.
No, I hate reading subtitles and there is no dub for my native language.
half and half. it was kinda boring
gently caress you, OP.
View Results

• Locked thread
Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
What did you think?

I loved it. Best scene is when a guy got his head chopped off because he couldn't shut up about stealing gold. Remember when Vietnam won that war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
herzog's dark romantic obsession with nature, esp prominent in his early films, pays off here. much better than his other big south american nature movie Fitzcarraldo. there is a documentary about fitzcarraldo however that is very good. the broad theme of Aguirre--overconfident and puny european ego (civilization) vs. mysterious and enormous aboriginal id (nature)--is very conventional. but the conventionalism of the themes is gotten over throguh great performances and mood and plotting. klaus kinski has a great and weird charisma. the slow and meandering doom of the spanish expedition on the boat is both hypnotic and dreadful and works effectively as a sort of surreal descent into madness. in a broader thematic sense this is the consumption of civilization by nature, the ego by the id, the european by the aboriginal. my favorite moment is when the princess gives up all hope and walks into the jungle. she prefers the self-destructive purity of nature to the polite hypocrisy of civilization.

the story is historically true on at least some level so it is very resonant. there were lots of spanish conquistadors who declared open rebellion to the crown and sailed up various south american rivers to found their own kingdoms. a lot died probably. but some did survive and helped to create lovely racist spanish colonial society.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 13, 2017

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
sorry if too many :words: i just like the movie

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

Zane posted:

sorry if too many :words: i just like the movie

oh, you.

e: reading your post, not sure what i can gather in my head as a response yet and i'm all over the place today.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

better than heart of darkness and apocalypse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was kinda disappointed when I first saw Aguirre because I heard it was super awesome and it was but I still liked Fitzcarraldo better. Although that may be for largely sentimental reasons because Fitzcarraldo was the first Herzog movie I ever saw and I was like 13 and it blew my loving mind at the time. Kinski is super great in this though. Popul Vuh rules.

• Locked thread