Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Hi all,

Last summer I found a 64 GMC 4x4 project, and was documenting my progress here. I was living on an acreage and had Xplornet, which was lovely at the best of times, before it crapped out entirely (which is part of why my last thread got archived).

Pics just after I got her:

I moved back into 'town' in October-ish, and have been working on setting everything up in the (heated)! garage. Hopefully, progress will be more steady, now...especially as I'm possibly moving back home (2,000km away) for work in the next few months, and the truck has no driveline, brakes, exhaust, mirrors, or seats. Oops.

I'm the kind of guy that researches the crap out of something, so that I can do my best to get it right the first time. I guess I'll sum up my goals for this project, big to small:

1) Transmission swap. The truck has a SBC 350. I'm putting in the NV3500 trans out of a 96 S-10. The bolt pattern is the same, and the trans has bolted right to the motor. The motor already had a 168 tooth flywheel, so I basically threw a new hydraulic throwout bearing on the trans, and put it in. This swap required cutting out the original trans crossmember, but I have a new one that'll fit the trans (and which requires new holes in the frame to mount). I also have a kit to swap from a mechanical to hydraulic clutch.

Issues: When I was test-fitting the trans, I found out the hard way that the motor would turn on its mounts.

I got everything realigned and together, but the big problem now is I don't know how everything should align. I've heard that the SBC should sit at 0-3* tilt. My question is, can someone help me out with the whole driveline angle thing? (Kastein?). If the engine is at 0*, the trans crossmember hits the bottom of the floor...if it's at 2*, I have plenty of room.

This is a pic of the same trans in someone else's truck, to give an idea of how long the driveshaft will have to be:

Same idea, undershot of my truck:

2) Brake upgrade - The kit for upgrading to the hydraulic clutch will also mean I can run an upgraded brake booster/master cylinder. I got one from The Right Stuff that will bolt right to the mounting plate for the hydraulic clutch swap kit I have. It's set up for disc fronts, drum rears. Ideally, I'm going to do an axle swap at the same time.
Pic of the old booster setup:

3) Front (for now) axle swap - I have the front and rear axles (GM 10 Bolt) from an 86 K5 Blazer. I have new balljoints to put in it, but I've been thinking of taking it to a local shop and having them rebuild it for me. This would give me discs up front. My only reservations are: 1 - I can't find any info if my 17" rims will clear the discs/calipers etc, and 2) I don't know if the pitman(?) arm for the power steering will connect to the power steering setup that's in my truck.

Minor stuff - I'm putting in the seats from a 99-06 fullsize Chevy/GMC. They fit perfectly, and will give me 3 point seatbelts.

Mirrors - Have a set of awesome West Coast Jr mirrors that I finally found lower mounts for.

Toolbox - I'm putting in an ROK metal lockbox (to hold camping stuff etc for roadtrips).

Headlights - upgrading the old sealed beams to modern Hella housings that'll let me run H4 bulbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
That is a handsome truck.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Adiabatic posted:

That is a handsome truck.

Strongly concur.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Your previous thread link is borked. Correct Link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792092

I remember the first thread, and then it disappeared. Glad you're back, sweet fuckkin' truck.

• Locked thread