Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I am trying to set up a dedicated game server for Ark. I have changed ISPs from Charter to Xfinity. On Charter, i had it up and running, got my port forwarding all set up so friends could connect to my server using Steam's server menu. Now, rather than the Charter modem + router set up i was using, I'm using a Xfinity wireless gateway that acts as an all in one modem and router.

I have gone into its settings and set port forwarding rules for the ports Ark needs to use, being 7777 and 27015. I also set 25011, as I saw it was needed for Steam to see my server. When I am logged into my server, other computers in my LAN can see it, log in and play on it. it works fine for 2 player, or more if I had more players in my LAN. Going into Steam's server list function in the view menu, friends can see my server when I am logged into my server, but it comes back as not responding on their end. They tell me they see me on private network IP 10.0.0.249:27015 through Steam's server friends function, rather than my ip4.me address.

My latest attempt was shutting off all my firewalls, both windows and the wireless gateways. Im out of ideas, any advice?

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
This sounds like either your server software or Steam is unaware of your external address. I don't have either program handy so I can't look for settings.

Does the game have a way of specifying an IP address to connect to besides a server browser? If so, and that works, then you can rule out firewall problems.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

The launcher im using shows my public IP address. In steam, ive put my ip address and ports directly in the favorite server function with it being 67.170.***.26:27015 under favorite servers settings, as well as a 67.170.***.26:7777 address to look for the other port. I just added rules to my windows firewall to let those ports stay open.

I dont know why this would be an issue, but it might be steam not liking to talk with ipv6 addresses, as its server function only sees ipv4. I have both a ipv6 and ipv4 address, but i dont know why that would matter.

EDIT:
My router was assigning me a ipv6 address and steam doesnt talk to that. disabled it so i only get a ipv4 address for steam to look at.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 20, 2017

• Locked thread