Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Munchables posted:

poo poo man, congrats!

this noob can't quit smoking lol what a whelp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
have u considered... throwing ur smokes in the trash lol!!!!!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Putty posted:

have u considered... throwing ur smokes in the trash lol!!!!!

:vince:

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

This is a grave insult putty there will be repercussions felt by your very descendants

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Munchables posted:

This is a grave insult putty there will be repercussions felt by your very descendants

tehey dont smoke so theyll outlive your consequences ( i have a time machine)

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
I've secured an external reader for sure and prodded my dissertation director. I may actually finish this unlovely thing! So many steps, such a bother.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Keep it up Birdtooth! If writing were easy everyone would do it!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I've been hitting exercise really hard and it's surprising me how it's actually paying off.

For about 3 years, I've exercised regularly, but not really pushed myself to improve because I was afraid of getting injured & because I lacked motivation. However, starting in December, I've switched around my exercise habits and noticed great results.

The key differences were the following:
-get more sleep
-do a lot more sets of the exercises I normally do. For instance, on a pushup day, instead of doing 40 pushups in the morning, I'll do like 60 in the morning and 60 in the evening. this isn't a huge timesink because I save time by not going to the gym and just exercising in my room
-be more flexible with my routine. if it's supposed to be a rest day, but I really feel like exercising, then I can exercise (and vice versa). or if I normally do certain exercises on a given day, but I feel like doing different ones, then I will do different ones.

Also, getting a theraband flexbar really helped with "golfer's elbow" pain from doing pullups.

blaise rascal fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 31, 2018

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

City of Glompton

hi thread, I've been moderately ok at my goals, not perfect but hanging in there. there's been a few refined carbs and a few news articles but overall I've reduced both enough to feel like it's worth pursuing.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

HUSKY DILF posted:

my goal this year is to spend less time with my family and hobbies and more time posting here

february update: finally have the weekend off and my wife and 2 year old are home. I'm hanging out in the basement without them and later i'm going to play some videogames

BoldFrankensteinMir

Been pushing myself to ride 2 or 3 times a day for the past couple weeks, longer and longer at a time and for greater distances. I can't afford a powered bike at the moment but I figure slamming my old mountainbike around country roads in bad weather counts as practice, especially if I'm gonna end up using the same frame as an e-conversion.

A few interesting things I've noted as a life-long city rider on country roads in the ice, snow and wind for the first time:

-Icy roads on a really cold day aren't that big a problem, it's when it warms up and starts melting a little you wipe out a bunch.

-Regular tires work in snow drifts up to about halfway to the wheel hub, then you're screwed unless you have those fat tires (mmm, I could go for a fat tire...)

-The wind is the worst. In Wyoming a 50 mph steady gale is considered breezy, and there are 90mph days they close the state road because it will, no poo poo, roll a passenger car over. You see cars on their sides sometimes in the middle of nowhere next to perfectly straight sections of road, it's nuts. On a bike, changing gears doesn't really accomplish much because your relationship to the ground no longer matters, you have more friction up top than down below. The perfect storm is when you're pedaling like mad to get up a hill, then the instant you crest it the wind catches your torso like a sail and knocks you back over the rear tire. Then the bike comes slamming down on you and the chain comes off, and it's you and a bunch of bike parts bouncing back down the gravel road you just rode up. This has happened to me three times already.

The opposite is true of going with the extreme wind- you can land-sail for a longass time if you're going with the wind, but good luck turning or stopping. You basically have to start braking an 1/8 of a mile before you turn and even then a sudden gust might knock you into a loooooong slide right off the middle of the bridge and into an icy creek. Which sounds bad but it's way better than a barbed wire fence or a herd of confused deer, both of which I've also been blown into. Bonus thing- pick the rusty barbs out of your wounds BEFORE you apply rubbing alcohol or else you're just grinding the rust in deeper.

Basically Wyoming is like an alien planet somedays. But hey, if I ever end up on Titan with a Schwinn and a first-aid kit, I'll be set.

Sig by Heather Papps

alnilam

yeah headwind is the worst, especially when it's cold

sometimes a strong gust will hit while I'm going uphill and bring me nearly to a stop and I'll shout "of come on!!" like as if the wind can hear me

BoldFrankensteinMir

Haha, I do exactly the same thing. It feels ridiculous but some times it's just smarter to get off and walk into the headwind- you're actually going faster than you could ride it.

Some days I feel real beat up and lovely when I get home but I keep reminding myself- I just went miles just for the price of getting exercise. It's like buying groceries with your gas bill.

Sig by Heather Papps

FluffieDuckie

My January progress: I said I’d exercise 3 times a week and except when I was sick I did that, but barely

February is supposed to be 4 times a week. Oh god

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Coolguye

Required by his programming!

FluffieDuckie posted:

My January progress: I said I’d exercise 3 times a week and except when I was sick I did that, but barely

February is supposed to be 4 times a week. Oh god

it is more important to show up and do anything than it is to follow some arbitrary idea of what a workout is, friend

even if you go for only 15 minutes and do the most fundamental workouts (like core or w/e) it counts!!!!!!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Coolguye posted:

it is more important to show up and do anything than it is to follow some arbitrary idea of what a workout is, friend

even if you go for only 15 minutes and do the most fundamental workouts (like core or w/e) it counts!!!!!!

Seconded strongly. As much as "perfect is the enemy of the good" can become a philosophical crutch if you lean on it too much, it's extremely pertinent to self disciplinary things like exercise, learning and emotional growth. Working on the self requires an admission of your imperfection first, last and always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

Just got done with my first long country ride at night. It was fun! I have good lights and a nice shock absorber so even if I miss a big rut in the dirt road it's not so bad. Paved roads with streetlamps should be easy in comparison!

• Locked thread