Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oxxidation posted:

Dalbert instead surrenders his ascension to Almer at the last second. Almer wanders the Commonwealth forever, bitter and grieving, and Dalbert dies alone shortly after the Rites conclude.

I found a video with all the endings. And I don't think this is true.

He wanders the downside, either alone or with Mae. If he's sent up he becomes a leader among his people using his family name to bridge gaps. If Mae's sent up too they have a bunch of kids.
From what I can tell there are 3 main endings.

There's a peaceful revolution. There's a violent revolt and the Harps capitalize on it. Or there's a weak uprising but it moves the military far enough out of position that the Harps swoop in and decapitate the leadership.
It looks like Almer and Oralech will help with the plan if they're sent up. Lendel hurts the plan if he's sent up. Tamitha helps the harps. Sir Deluge might help the plan(His soldiers interpret his cowardace as solidarity with the revolution). Barker and Ignarius don't help or hurt the plan. Uldmildhe re-exiles herself to be with Yslach.

Manley gets endlessly dunked on regardless of how the revolution goes, ending up a penniless janitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I like Barkers ending. Rites end, everything's boring now. Lets make our own!

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
One thing that I think struck me just now is how loving cruel the commonwealth is being when it sentences people for petty crimes even to a lifetime in a lovely inhospitable place that has only one way back that opens, like, once per age and only for a few people.

It's mentioned a lot in passing but even outside flagging hands, pit of milithe etc the downside isn't particularly hospitable.

At the beginning I thought that hey, maybe they have a gate, a way to return people to the world if they want to, maybe the plan is about opening that gate. But no, it's just an arbitrary lovely door that opens when it wants to and if it decides not to open any longer welp, good luck, have fun in the downside forever!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Not only that, but as time goes by and people in the downside start dying off, it's going to become a very lonely and miserable place.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Although, judging by Sir Deluge's ending, it's possible to start a family down there, and then there's native folk like Ron. Some measure of civilisation will remain, especially if the Sahrian Union supports it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also if they could use whatever method of exiling folks to instead send care packages, decent food, that sort of thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nuramor posted:

I like Barkers ending. Rites end, everything's boring now. Lets make our own!

Nothing in the rules says a dog can't invent soccer!

mortons stork posted:

One thing that I think struck me just now is how loving cruel the commonwealth is being when it sentences people for petty crimes even to a lifetime in a lovely inhospitable place that has only one way back that opens, like, once per age and only for a few people.

It's mentioned a lot in passing but even outside flagging hands, pit of milithe etc the downside isn't particularly hospitable.

At the beginning I thought that hey, maybe they have a gate, a way to return people to the world if they want to, maybe the plan is about opening that gate. But no, it's just an arbitrary lovely door that opens when it wants to and if it decides not to open any longer welp, good luck, have fun in the downside forever!

This is a large part of the motivation for Volfred's Plan, I believe. He didn't really start putting the rebellion together until after he was exiled.

Also the rites used to be more regular before the whole thing with Oralech happened. But considering how many denizens we've seen and long the normal rites take, you're basically guaranteed to spend the rest of your life in the downside.

I think they imply that demons are immortal, too.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Even when the rites are in full swing, there are probably only one or two liberation rites a year. "Many moons" pass before the stars start aligning again, while the Nightwings hang out on the mountain. The Downside is a terrible place, and the other really hosed up part is that by making former exiles form the government, the Commonwealth has actually incentivized the practice of exiling people for pettier and pettier crimes. After all, some will redeem themselves and become a ruler as well.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
I'm really bummed that apparently no matter what ending you get the Downside isn't escapeable outside of the Rites. I guess I always assumed that was something the Commonwealth enforced and once they were overthrown you could basically just "open the floodgates" for lack of better words.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Outstanding LP. The ending is slightly bittersweet, and that's the only thing I can hold against it. Looking forward to your next project!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
So what was up with some of the Titan Stars getting sparkles around them?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Outstanding LP. The ending is slightly bittersweet, and that's the only thing I can hold against it. Looking forward to your next project!

There is literally no supergiant game where the ending wasn't sad or bittersweet. There was an almost happy ending in Bastion, but that's it.

Tbh, the beautiful, cheery art really contrasts with how dramatic the stories being told are, and I still haven't decided if they prevent the story from having the appropriate gravitas or they enhance the effect.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Awesome LP. Really enjoyed following it. The effort that went into it really shows. Maple stayed true to the end.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
One thing I'm still stuck wondering, is the cycle of the rites' ending Oralech's fault, as many characters imply? Or is it just an unlucky coincidence?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So given that reading is implied to give you some kind of psychic powers, we've basically created a burgeoning empire of psykers?

Neat.

I like how this all wound up, really. Supergiant is really good at delivering people dealing with something huge going wrong and making the best of what they can do in the aftermath.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

mortons stork posted:

One thing I'm still stuck wondering, is the cycle of the rites' ending Oralech's fault, as many characters imply? Or is it just an unlucky coincidence?

Please, as if Supergiant would give you a straight answer to a major plot point.

I think Oralech not getting his freedom was a major factor but I don't know how well that's supported by the text.

Glazius posted:

So given that reading is implied to give you some kind of psychic powers, we've basically created a burgeoning empire of psykers?

Neat.

I think maybe being a Reader (ie reading from The Book and leading rights) makes you psychic. But I'm not sure.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I think that in many different ways, the thing was getting corrupt. The Commonwealth was corrupt, the whole idea of the rites were corrupt, since very few of the people taking part of them were about being 'redeemed', either they were unrepentant assholes, or they were good people who were unashamed of what they did. The Nightwings, who were just supposed to be 'gold standard' were actively trying to get their own out, and the rites were also causing nothing but discord and corruption, rather than redemption.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It was also cool that you could see how it happened from reading between the lines of the Book. Like the passage about the Book itself has a line discouraging people from reading it in the Commonwealth and revealing what it's about. You can see how this could become a pretext for a general literacy ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Supergiant Games released a video showing how they recorded the Imp voices from the Imp Arena we saw all the way back in Update 20: The Hearts of Exiles.
It's a cute and short video so I thought I'd share it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl0Yne8Q-w4

• Locked thread