Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Are there any player-facing downloads for Tales from the Loop or has Modiphius basically said "here's a character sheet, good luck"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Yeah if 4e were a game with barebones, highly streamlined combat it'd be one thing, but 4e combat still has me going to check rules after years and years of playing it. Adding another complex system would just be nightmareish for me unless 99% of that added complication happened outside of the game and was something I could do in my free time (ie character building)
Starting to think that probably the best way really is to make a few themed NPC companions and a simple rule to bring them into combat. It's not quite the same oomph but all the rules are already there.

e: I keep thinking about this, how about this setup:

Magicite is a new kind of magic item that gets its own slot, so you can only have one at a time. If you have one, you can summon its esper as a standard action. The esper is built according to standard NPC rules with a heavy elemental theme and will stick around until the end of the encounter, or until reduced to 0 HP. Only one esper can be on the battlefield at a time.

You decide at the end of each extended rest whether to attune to your magicite or not. If not, you can't summon your esper today. If yes, the summoning ability replaces your highest level Daily power. Your choice sticks until the end of the next extended rest.

Assuming a 4 person party in which everyone has a magicite and uses it diligently, you can assume they're 5 strong for each encounter (since there are usually 4 encounters between rests). So just build encounters for 5 person parties and everything should be balanced enough.

Other stuff you could do with this:
- wearing the magicite, attuned or not, gives you a bonus to appropriate elemental powers
- Sidequests to beat the espers and gain their magicite, sidequests to level them up, sidequests to restore them if they've been defeated...
- magicite could take up an existing item slot if it's too powerful
- certain espers could be most appropriate for certain tiers of play: Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh for heroic, Bahamut, Alexander and such for paragon, in epic you get the real crazy poo poo like Odin, NEO BAHAMUT ZERO ULTRA TURBO EDITION or Eden
- Knights of the Round: can only summon then once, ever, but they win you the current encounter, no matter what. Which boils down to "your campaign's end goal is now getting the Knights summon so they can beat the final boss for you".

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could have some fun with summons, like cameos from other campaigns and settings.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Starting to think that probably the best way really is to make a few themed NPC companions and a simple rule to bring them into combat. It's not quite the same oomph but all the rules are already there.

e: I keep thinking about this, how about this setup:

Magicite is a new kind of magic item that gets its own slot, so you can only have one at a time. If you have one, you can summon its esper as a standard action. The esper is built according to standard NPC rules with a heavy elemental theme and will stick around until the end of the encounter, or until reduced to 0 HP. Only one esper can be on the battlefield at a time.

You decide at the end of each extended rest whether to attune to your magicite or not. If not, you can't summon your esper today. If yes, the summoning ability replaces your highest level Daily power. Your choice sticks until the end of the next extended rest.

Assuming a 4 person party in which everyone has a magicite and uses it diligently, you can assume they're 5 strong for each encounter (since there are usually 4 encounters between rests). So just build encounters for 5 person parties and everything should be balanced enough.

Other stuff you could do with this:
- wearing the magicite, attuned or not, gives you a bonus to appropriate elemental powers
- Sidequests to beat the espers and gain their magicite, sidequests to level them up, sidequests to restore them if they've been defeated...
- magicite could take up an existing item slot if it's too powerful
- certain espers could be most appropriate for certain tiers of play: Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh for heroic, Bahamut, Alexander and such for paragon, in epic you get the real crazy poo poo like Odin, NEO BAHAMUT ZERO ULTRA TURBO EDITION or Eden
- Knights of the Round: can only summon then once, ever, but they win you the current encounter, no matter what. Which boils down to "your campaign's end goal is now getting the Knights summon so they can beat the final boss for you".

I think you're overthinking this way too much.

A) make it a daily, but don't replace inherent class powers. Class powers should be sacrosanct. People choose classes and the powers for a reason, unless you're some kind of ultra CharOp weirdo.

B) make it an encounter power, and still don't replace inherent class powers.

C) make it a summon like the druid's in Primal Power, in that the summons have a thing they automatically do if you don't command them, but still have their own actions you can work through.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
keep it simple, seriously. just tell people to describe their attacks as summons

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Plutonis posted:

Like what, irl firefighters or stuff like Fire Force
A very gritty and realistic reimagining of Paw Patrol.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NachtSieger posted:

I think you're overthinking this way too much.
hi, we must not have met

Yeah though, you can just refluff existing attacks, you can come up with a whole new subsystem, you can try and hit the middle between those, all depends on what you want to add to your game and how much trouble you're prepared to go to. Personally I would only mess around with homebrew mechanics if these summons were the literal gods of my setting, but on the other hand, it's always fun in FF when they are.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean, the simplest way would just be to take the Primal class transformation dailies and scratch their names out.

Presumably the reason not to do this was for big flashy once a day drops where now Ifrit is fighting for you. Usually since you've played enough 4e that the base game needs a bit of spice.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 29, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I maintain that there's probably a good strategy game to be made that plays out on a city streets map and which has the players controlling private, pre-public firefighters trying to fight fires while preventing other player's firefighters from reaching their company's on-fire clients, but my efforts haven't yet produced workable rules.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Father Wendigo posted:

A very gritty and realistic reimagining of Paw Patrol.

Complete with fascist subtext?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I consider this vital to the Paw Patrol branding.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

. . .

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Elfgames posted:

keep it simple, seriously. just tell people to describe their attacks as summons

I agree, they're basically just superspells. Whether it's direct damage, healing, casting mass reflect, or functionally Shapeshifting into the summon itself.

Depending on which FF you're inspired by this may mean just making one class Wizard But Bigger or giving everyone access to these spells and treating them as magic items that the PCs can transfer between each other.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Moriatti posted:

I mean, the simplest way would just be to take the Primal class transformation dailies and scratch their names out.

Presumably the reason not to do this was for big flashy once a day drops where now Ifrit is fighting for you. Usually since you've played enough 4e that the base game needs a bit of spice.

And this is basically why I'm going to be doing this. If nothing else, I'll have collected some good information on what does/doesn't work, and either way, my players will enjoy being able to call on some ridiculous bullshit for the set pieces I'm going to be building for them.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If I was going to do a game with FF-like summons, I'd go with 13th age, since feats and level scaling make it real versatile, and Limit Breaks can be handled with the Drama Die

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't know if its still 2018 anywhere but I want to cut into the worst rpg opinions thing by saying there should be Strike Ranks in Dungeon World

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

As in Runequest strike ranks? :raise:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
it's official, 2019 is when we stop loving around with other games and we all play feng shui 2

gently caress the police

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Was there some outstanding system issue with FS2 or am I remembering wrong?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hyphz posted:

Was there some outstanding system issue with FS2 or am I remembering wrong?

No, it's basically the same system as the original version with some tweaks. I think it's a bit too swingy for my liking but it's perfectly serviceable.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's swingy and kinda simple but it's pretty lightweight and silly and fun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wrestlepig posted:

it's official, 2019 is when we stop loving around with other games and we all play feng shui 2

gently caress the police

:yeah:

It's a real shame he didn't release any more FS2 books like was originally supposed to be the case. :(

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Huh. It dropped off the radars rather quick then.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I spent new years in hospital after having a psychotic episode and trying to hang myself only to fall and sprain my ankle so I can't really scoff at that dude

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I spent new years in hospital after having a psychotic episode and trying to hang myself only to fall and sprain my ankle so I can't really scoff at that dude

I hope things get better for you, Plutonis.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't tell if those bottlecaps are for heroin or from being a slob.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nightfall Games is taking the rather daring strategy of de-canonizing games and not selling them.

NG's FB page posted:

As Nightfall Games finalise the new publication – SLA Industries: Cannibal Sector 1, we have taken a good look at the contents of the various source materials published to date. As many of you know, a number of these books were produced with little or no input from the creators of SLA Industries and as such do not represent the image, ideals, nor stories of The World of Progress. Additionally, a number of the books have been directly superseded (in whole or part) by the writing in the new book. With this in mind, only the following source books and supplements should be now be considered canon (the official vision of The World of Progress):
• SLA Industries Main Rulebook (including all reprints) (ISBN 1 899749 23 3)
• Karma (ISBN 1 880992 56 6)
• Hunter Sheets Issue 1 (ISBN 978 0 9555423 1 2)
• Hunter Sheets Issue 2 (ISBN 978 0 9556497 1 2)
• “Klick’s End” Data Packet
• “Momic 0.1” Data Packet
• "The Dream" Data Packet
• "Threat Analysis: Hominid" Data Packet
• "Hunters Sheets: Red Alert" Data Packet
• SLA Industries GM Screen

The publications listed below are no longer considered to be an official part of the SLA Industries canon.

• Mort Sourcebook (ISBN 0 9522176 6 X)
• The Key of Delhyread (ISBN 978-1-899749-24-9)
• The Contract Directory (ISBN 978-1-899749-29-4)
• Cannibal Sector 1 (ISBN 978 0 9555423 0 5)
• “Ursa Carrien” Data Packet

If you suddenly demand a complete SLA Industries collection, the ones getting the boot will be up until the 31st of this month.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A rare in-the-wild sighting of an obscure Indie RPG

quote:

Kieron Gillen will never forget the time that he was a female Soviet air bomber in WWII and an airplane turned his character into “soup.”

Gillen was playing in Night Witches, an “intensely serious” tabletop RPG about Soviet women air bombers in World War II. His character, a surly type who had escaped Leningrad, landed her plane when another character crashed behind her. She got out to look just as a third player rolled a die to determine their plane’s landing.

“The roll meant that, ‘oh, that means that plane kind of just goes through your character,’” Gillen told Kotaku. “It got quite a big laugh, and I found it quite upsetting in terms of, this is not the end I’d hoped for, for this character. But no, no, she was just turned into soup and random bits of kebab meat.”

Gillen’s latest creative work, a comic called DIE that debuted last month, is a comic about a tabletop RPG game gone bad, and it owes a lot to experiences like that one. Gillen’s character didn’t get what they hoped for, but at least it made for a good story. And also, a lot of pain.
Huh.

https://kotaku.com/kieron-gillens-new-comic-is-about-the-sad-mess-of-rpgs-1831441119

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Also, this thread could use a close-and-relaunch, or at least a title edit.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Actually, it turns out 2018 has been renewed for another season, enjoy this garbage year all over again!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

moths posted:

I can't tell if those bottlecaps are for heroin or from being a slob.

Maybe they just played too much Fallout.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Actually, it turns out 2018 has been renewed for another season, enjoy this garbage year all over again!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They're actually planning to reboot 1989 to 1999 to cash in on millennial nostalgia

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

They're actually planning to reboot 1989 to 1999 to cash in on millennial nostalgia

Personally, I can't wait for the reboot of the 2008 financial crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

Also, this thread could use a close-and-relaunch, or at least a title edit.

Done!