Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm not too sure how unpopular of an opinion this is, but I find Wind Waker to be one of the better 3D Zelda games. Ever since I first played it as a kid I loved the game. First released in Japan in 2002, then worldwide in 2003, Wind Waker was the tenth installment in the Zelda franchise, and the first released for the GameCube. Rather than taking place in Hyrule like most Zelda games, Wind Waker takes place entirely on a vast ocean, dotted with islands for Link to explore far after Hyrule was drowned by the goddesses. I always loved that feeling of exploration, and the feeling of discovering a brand new island and seeing what secrets it has to uncover. Later on in 2013, the game was given an updated release for the Wii U, with graphical improvements and trimming down on the infamous Triforce Charts part of the main quest.

Why Wind Waker HD?

I've decided to finally get back to the Zelda series after taking a break. I had three choices, with the three timeline branches, where I could've gone. I decided to pick this one since it's the shortest, with only Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks in it. I decided to go for the HD version due to the improved graphics, and a bit because of the aforementioned cutting down of the Triforce Chart part of the game.

About the LP:

This LP will also not be live, I have no good way of recording it as such. I'll record the gameplay and the commentary separately. After the pains of doing Ocarina of Time 100%, I don't plan on doing that again. It just isn't worth it. Aside from the main quest, I'll at least map out and visit all the islands, and complete the ones worth doing. Ones I'll be skipping include the various Reef Islands, as they pretty much only have a Treasure Chart to find. I should also note I won't be reading the dialogue out loud, so no need to worry if that bothers you.

As a warning, since it came up in the Sandcastle thread, I WILL be talking during cutscenes, just so people know if that kind of thing bothers them.

Schedule:

As usual, there's no specific schedule. I'll simply get to the LP when I'm able to. Hopefully at least two or three videos a week.

Spoilers?:

Considering the age of the original game and how well-known it is, spoilers are okay.

LET'S SET SAIL:
Part 1 - Outset Island
Part 2 - The Forsaken Fortress
Part 3 - Windfall Island
Part 4 - Dragon Roost Island
Part 5 - Dragon Roost Cavern
Part 6 - Forest Haven
Part 7 - Forbidden Woods
Part 8 - Jabun's Pearl
Part 9 - Tower of the Gods
Part 10 - Forsaken Fortress Revisit
Part 11 - Fire and Ice Arrows
Part 12 - The Earth Temple
Part 13 - The Wind Temple
Part 14 - Savage Labyrinth and Trading Sequence
Part 15 - Island Exploration I
Part 16 - Island Exploration II
Part 17 - The Triforce of Courage
Part 18 - Ganondorf

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Reserve post, just in case.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Now, before I can begin, the hero needs a name. So, for a day or so, I'll take requests on what to name Link this time around.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
This is the legend of Zelda, innit? Our hero is obviously Zelda.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm throwing in for Megaman

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

We're sailing the high seas,correct? In that case the only name that fits is Luffy.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
Call him Pisslips, but don't tell him I told you to say it.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Call him kid, since he's just this kid who keeps showing up.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
my man

This is probably my favourite Zelda, and the one I've replayed the most. Have fun!

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
For old time’s sake, I vote Lunk.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well, a lot of the names were good here, and it was pretty hard to decide what I went with. I may even use some of these for future Zelda playthroughs.

Part 1 - Outset Island

I mentioned it in the video, but I think this Link is my favorite version of the character. If only because he has more personality than a majority of the others, a great deal of it being shown through his many facial expressions. It's pretty weird seeing him wearing something other than his tunic, even for a couple of minutes. It's even stranger to see him with a sibling; I never noticed how odd it was that he actually has a sister in this game. I kind of like the dynamic they have, even though it's not seen too much due to her quick kidnapping. I'm really looking forward to getting to the meat and potatoes of the game again, it's been a pretty long time since I've played through it.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Thanks for picking my suggestion. It's already paying off with all the "Hey, kid!" I'm seeing. I'm enjoying the commentary, too.

I do notice that your footage seems to be interlaced, and has a distorted aspect ratio. Not the worst thing, but I'm picky about that kind of thing.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

HomestarCanter posted:

Thanks for picking my suggestion. It's already paying off with all the "Hey, kid!" I'm seeing. I'm enjoying the commentary, too.

I do notice that your footage seems to be interlaced, and has a distorted aspect ratio. Not the worst thing, but I'm picky about that kind of thing.
Yeah, it was a good name to give the poor kid. And thanks, I always worry about whether my commentary is good enough or not.

I did notice that while I was doing the commentary, yeah. I recorded episode two right after one, so I'm going to see if I can't fix it for episode three onward.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - The Forsaken Fortress

The first semi-dungeon of the game already done with. I already state this in the video, but I really hate forced stealth segments in non-stealth games. This one isn't too bad since only Moblins can throw you in jail, and you fight the Bokoblins with improvised weapons. And the partner of the game, King of Red Lions, appears too. He's one of my favorite Zelda sidekicks solely because he doesn't interrupt the game very much. He sits outside of most of the dungeons, so he's barely ever stopping the game to tell you what to do or give you a hint. I think he does this like, once or twice throughout the whole game. That, and having a talking boat is cool. gently caress the haters.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - Windfall Island

Windfall Island is honestly one of my favorite locations in this game. It's a bit on the small side, perhaps, but it's still pretty cozy and charming. Sure, it has Tingle for a bit, but I enjoy pretty much all the other characters, despite what my banter my say otherwise. Like the kindly, oddly loaded, teacher, the Picto Box man, the Eskimo, and even the Killer Bees a bit. Thankfully there's more stuff to do there later on, but as I mention in the video, I wish there were more towns to visit. There's really only the three that I'd really qualify as a town or village. It would've been nice to maybe have an optional town-island. Not one you ever have to visit for the main story, but it'd have side stuff to do, Pieces of Heart to get, and all that stuff.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 4 - Dragon Roost Island

We visit our first island. Voluntarily, that is. Not much to see now, but the titular Wind Waker is introduced in a rather anticlimactic way. But hey, who needs it? I kind of like the Ritos, in general. Not as good as Zoras or Gorons, but I still like them. I'm still scratching my head as to how this letter situation works. This chieftain guy wrote the letter that apparently mentions Link, but seemingly wrote it before we even talked. He then gave that letter to Medli, to give to me, to give to his son. It's just a weird, needlessly complex situation going on. Either way, I get to finally tackle my first real dungeon of the game next time, and that's always fun.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

HomestarCanter posted:

I'm sure things will be more to your liking now. And mine, the new look starting from this video onward is a great sight.

Part 5 - Dragon Roost Cavern

And the first dungeon is completed. I like the slight change of order, with the fire-themed dungeon being first. The dungeon's item is kind of nifty, allowing for increased mobility and stunning enemies. Kind of like the hookshot, but even more mobile. The boss was pretty fun, cracking her out of her armor using Valoo's tail was a nice way to go about it. I do kind of wish there was a mini-boss, since most dungeons have them and this one doesn't. I dunno if the Moblin should really count as one, since it's just a regular enemy. I can't wait to be able to use normal bombs, these bomb flowers are a pain to use.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Forest Haven

Y'know, as much hate as the official Zelda Timeline gets, I feel like it really works in several places. Like Wind Waker really fits in nicely with a post-Adult Link Ocarina of Time. It also kind of explains why this Link isn't really that much of a chosen one in comparison to the others, as he's not a descendant of the Ocarina of Time Link, since he vanished from the timeline due to Zelda. I don't particularly recall Link behind a "chosen one" in the Fallen Timeline either, which also kind of fits into things. But either way, those Koroks are giving me PTSD and I don't like it.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - Forbidden Woods

I never minded the whole "the boss of each dungeon is weak against the item you get in it" aspect of the Zelda series. Sure, it makes things predictable to an extent, but the bosses are still usually unique and unpredictable at times. That, and repeating items like the Boomerang tend to have a new, unique way of being used. Though the Bow and Arrows tend to be used in the exact same way. The temple is pretty basic, and a couple of enemies like the Morths are pretty annoying, but I like the mini-boss and boss fights either way. And now I never have to see those Koroks again...at least for a while.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 8 - Jabun's Pearl

I have to wonder if there was supposed to be a dungeon before you could get the last Pearl. The change in structure of the main plot is a bit odd to me and it seems like there was some kind of scrapped dungeon. I know there were a few dungeons that didn't make the final cut, and I wonder if the one where you got Nayru's Pearl was one of them. Jabun's part of the story is also kind of weird because unlike Valoo, he never goes and does anything anymore and completely vanishes after he hands you the Pearl. I mean it's one thing with the Deku Tree not doing much since he's quite literally rooted from the spot, but Jabun doesn't have that problem.

Also, the Swift Sail is the best poo poo ever.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 9 - Tower of the Gods

As far as Water Dungeons go, this one is definitely one of the least painful, I feel I can safely say that. I think this is about the halfway point of the main story already. There's really only two major dungeons, and what I'd consider two mini-dungeons left to go. I kind of wish there was at least one or two more somewhere in the world. Again, maybe one I have to go through to get Jabun's Pearl, and then go to the Tower of the Gods after that, still. Still, I enjoy the dungeons we do manage to get. Apparently, though, some of the scrapped dungeons were actually used in Zelda games, but Eiji Aonuma wouldn't tell us which ones were reused, sadly.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 10 - Forsaken Fortress Revisit

Get a lot of poo poo done this time around. Three major plot points in one video. Feels good to finally get the Master Sword, and I am eternally thankful it doesn't talk this time around. And one thing I never understood, does the King of Hyrule possess the King of Red Lions? Like, his spirit gives the boat life, but he exists as a separate entity (a ghost?) elsewhere? I don't recall it ever being explicitly said either way. I honestly never liked going back to the Forsaken Fortress, honestly. I felt one visit was enough, and there wasn't nearly enough new stuff to make a revisit worth it, aside from seeing Valoo go apeshit on Ganondorf, I suppose. Even the Phantom Ganon fight felt lame. He appears out of nowhere, and isn't even a boss, just a mini-boss you fight as soon as you arrive. He should've been the boss of the Earth Temple or something, maybe. And am I the only one that thought Tetra was just tan? I remember there being some fans that were a bit ticked that she became white when she took on her Princess Zelda role. Though I will say I don't like the personality change that happens instantly after the transformation. It's so jarring and has no real reason to happen. That, and I just like Tetra's personalty better.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - Fire and Ice Arrows

It feels odd getting both types of elemental arrows at the same time like that, and outside of a dungeon to boot. Heck, getting the Iron Boots outside of a dungeon also feels weird. I guess I'm just used to most, if not all, major items in a given Zelda game being obtained in a temple or dungeon, usually after fighting a mini-boss of some kind first. It's kind of nice that the next two dungeons can be done in either order you want. Though it really makes zero difference in what you decide. I wish there were a few mini-dungeons or something you could go through on these islands, something bigger than the Fire Mountain or Ice Ring Isle, but smaller than the second visit to the Forsaken Fortress. Most islands either have a mini-game, or one or two rooms with maybe a puzzle in them. Just feels like a waste given how many squares there are on the map.

Also, that Fairy Queen was loving creepy, man.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 12 - The Earth Temple

I really like how you get to travel with the sages throughout the temples in this game. They can't do much, or literally do anything without you controlling their every move, but it's still something nice to see. Like I remember how in Ocarina of Time's Fire and Water Temples, Darunia and Ruto showed up, but immediately separated from you. It would've been cool, but I imagine impossible at the time, to have them go with you and help out in some way as you went through each temple. While not nearly as bad as the Bottom of the Well or Shadow Temple, this place still creeps me out a bit, mainly the ReDeads and that loving shrieking of theirs. No matter how many times they attack me, they still freak me out. The boss is basically a copy of Boolossus from Luigi's Mansion, but it was still a nice fight. It would've been better if Medli actually fought the boss with me, but I dunno how that'd work out without being a huge hassle.

Oh yeah, here's some trivia. If you get the Light Arrows early, through glitches or hacking, using them on Jalhalla will instantly make him tangible.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 13 - The Wind Temple

I really had a hard time with this temple. A majority of it was my fault, but I do think that giant fan in the middle of the main room was poorly done. Especially since it pushes Makar off to the side, and you're just kind of stuck until you get high enough. That is a major pain in the rear end. I did at least like the tree planting mechanic over the light puzzles. Especially since I had a few issues with those in the Earth Temple this time around. I also am not fond of bosses or mini-bosses that just summon hoards of enemies to fight you. It just seems lazy to me. "Here, just keep fighting a bunch of enemies until I die!" doesn't really gain my interest.

So, does anyone know how they made the noises with Molgera? Like that weird braying? Is it a donkey? It sounds like a donkey.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 14 - Savage Labyrinth and Trading Sequence

Decided to just lump these two parts of the game into one video, especially since fast-forwarding through so much filler was pretty much a necessity, in my opinion. I think the Savage Labyrinth is the first of the "gauntlet of enemies" thing that's been in a couple of other games, most notably the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess. I would like these kind of things more if there were maybe unique challenges in them, which isn't much of the case. Like here in Wind Waker I'm fighting the same poo poo I've been fighting for a dozen videos. Bokoblins, Moblins, Darknuts, some Stalfos, and so on. If there was maybe an enemy, or a mini-boss at the end that was unique to the dungeon, I'd find it more interesting. Still, the prize is kind of nifty, and I also got a piece of the Triforce, so I had to do it. The Trading Sequence is a lame duck, especially in comparison to the Ocarina of Time one. 90% of it is going back and forth to the same two islands, and dishing out a poo poo-ton of cash just to get through the whole thing correctly. The prize is worth it, at least, that powerful Magic Armor.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 15 - Island Exploration I

As I mentioned I would, I'm starting the ticking off of each island in the game I've yet to visit. Though as I've also said, gonna skip over most of the six reef islands, due to how repetitive they are. While I enjoy the feeling of exploring and discovering new land masses, I wish each one had a bit more. Or maybe less islands, but each one having more content or something. As it is, there's probably about a dozen islands with either very little, or absolutely nothing to do on the island itself. Instead, something appears near it like treasure, a Big Octo, or the Ghost Ship. A majority of the optional islands can be cleared away in about five minutes, some even less. It makes me wish that maybe there was one more island with a town on it, the size of Windfall Island. It could be an optional town, maybe, just a place to do some sidequests with interesting people to talk to.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 16 - Island Exploration II

Not much to say here, since it's really just more exploration of islands, both optional and ones where there's a Triforce Shard/Chart. I will say that I really thought they got lazy with those six reefs, which I've mentioned in the playthrough a few times. One is fine, but six of them? They were clearly out of ideas. That, or they just were rushed for time or something and had to copy/paste an island five more times across the map. I don't recall if I mentioned this in the video, but next time is the last island exploration video, and I happen to assemble the Triforce of Courage during it as well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 17 - The Triforce of Courage

You know, despite it being the center of the very first Zelda game, I always find it almost surreal gathering parts of the Triforce, or even seeing the complete Triforce outside of exposition scenes or flashbacks. I do have to wonder how the gently caress the pieces of the Triforce of Courage ended up where they did. I don't think it's ever really explained in detail as to how it happened. That or where the Triforce Charts come from. I guess some rear end in a top hat just put a piece in a chest he found guarded by a bunch of monsters and stuff. Of course, the real answer is "For plot purposes" and there's no real point in questioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 18 - Ganondorf

And now the finale, at long last. I really felt they dropped the ball on Ganon's Tower here, considering 90% of it is just rehashing past material, but not even in a unique or good way like Ocarina of Time. The puzzles leading to each boss are only about a minute long and are dead simple, and then refighting the bosses themselves is pretty lame. After that is fighting Phantom Ganon about ten times, and then finally some new material with Puppet Ganon, and then the final boss battle. Getting to fight alongside Zelda is always nice, and I wish more games did this, especially since the amount of games that have this can be counted on one hand. Ganondorf's slight character development was a welcome treat, and his death was a rather fighting one, marking his final appearance in this timeline. There are definitely parts of this game where I can tell there were time constraints, with the Triforce Shard portion and Ganon's Tower itself being blatant examples. I feel like the amount of islands with very little or nothing at all to do or explore on them is another sign of this. Even so, I still really enjoy this game, and still love the exploration aspect of it despite the setbacks.

To those few who watched through the Let's Play, I thank you, and hope you got some enjoyment out of it.

• Locked thread