Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm not a prepper, but I am mentally ill

best quote from this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it's pretty reasonable to be prepared for a week or two without power and have supplies on hand, especially in places where climate change is creating more chaotic and unpredictable weather.

The killing looters fantasy people who hoard more guns than food or medical supplies are the weirdos. I'm sure they think they'll be the noble heroes of their story if things actually get as bad as they think they will, but I imagine most of them will become the looters they think they'll be defending against.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i keep about a weeks worth of dried or canned food in my cupboard (mostly because i eat a lot of beans, lentils and chickpeas and go grocery shopping once every week or so) and i know survival skills from a lifelong hobby of camping, but i wouldn't call myself a prepper nor do i believe civilization is in any hurry to end.

the only thing i'd probably run out of fast is water, since i dont have enough space in my apartment to store it in any amount that would matter

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I think it's pretty reasonable to be prepared for a week or two without power and have supplies on hand, especially in places where climate change is creating more chaotic and unpredictable weather.

The killing looters fantasy people who hoard more guns than food or medical supplies are the weirdos. I'm sure they think they'll be the noble heroes of their story if things actually get as bad as they think they will, but I imagine most of them will become the looters they think they'll be defending against.

So they don't need any of the stuff they have then they become looters because they have the stuff they need?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Professor Shark posted:

I'd rather die than live more than 24 hours without power and internet.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
just now during the holidays a large portion of eastern finland was left without power for 1-2 weeks due to heavy snowfall. this never happens here, the snowfall was very extreme and the worst in modern times.

so yeah, i don't think sensible "prepping" is a bad idea no matter where you live. too bad modern city buildings never have fireplaces.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Who What Now posted:

I'd rather die than live more than 24 hours without power and internet.

"Welp, the internet is down. Time to eat my neighbors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Rad-daddio posted:

"Welp, the internet is down. Time to eat my neighbors."

Entertaining AND nutritious. Maybe we don't need internet after all.

• Locked thread