Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I liked Goodfeathers.

But it was extremely one note.
I hated Goodfeathers.

cda posted:

Rita and Runt sucked
Rita and Runt did suck, but it gets mad props for that song Rita sings about not wanting kids.

BexGu posted:

Katy Kaboom was a visual gag skit for kids watching who had a teenage sister that would just melt down at the drop of a hat.
I didn't have a teenage sister but I still found these hilarious, and they didn't make that many relative to other skits.

cda posted:

I personally love Chicken Boo but it's not really defensible.
I want to fight you on this but you're right. Chicken Boo was the man, or er, wasn't. Not man, but a Chicken Boo.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

god that photo is so old
Who is this dork straight outta 2004?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Budohead posted:

What exactly was the idea behind an ambiguously sexual torch singer cat in a kids' show anyway

Oh yeah because they tried going full blast but very quickly weren't allowed to anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wCiyprbEcI

Even 8 year old me just remembers laughing at this and not really thinking about it beyond that. Also is that fly supposed to look like someone popular?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He's got a Spike Lee thing going on... but I don't get the chirping.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Twelve Batmans posted:

Even 8 year old me just remembers laughing at this and not really thinking about it beyond that. Also is that fly supposed to look like someone popular?

mind the walrus posted:

It's definitely Spike Lee, he's got the X hat and glasses

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

BexGu posted:

Katy Kaboom was a visual gag skit for kids watching who had a teenage sister that would just melt down at the drop of a hat.

Ahhh fair enough then. I was the teenager in the house so it's me... I'm Katie Kaboom.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GNn9mJBdK0

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hate that show it used to give me migraines.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Maybe this year won't suck as much.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I wonder how Brain will update his tactics for the modern world. Turning pinky into a suicide bomber?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drunken Baker posted:

Ahhh fair enough then. I was the teenager in the house so it's me... I'm Katie Kaboom.

I've never had older siblings but I heard plenty of stories from friends about their older sisters (maybe their metrosexual older brothers I don't loving know) melting down because they couldn't get their hair to flip a certain way before school.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Not once in all the years I've been thinking about Katie Kaboom (at least three times daily) did this ever occur to me. It always just felt like one of the writers was trying to do a Kevin and Perry thing.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

I wonder how Brain will update his tactics for the modern world. Turning pinky into a suicide bomber?

In'shallah.... NARF!!!

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

hemale in pain posted:

lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I'd make a $1 bet that one of the new Pinky and the Brain bits makes explicit that Pinky is the real genius who is deliberately thwarting Brain, per that "fan theory" that everyone thinks they're the first to have noticed.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah, I think I'm looking forward to how they update Pinky & The Brain to modern times the most. Should be great!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Brain tries to run for President, but through some odd turns of events, Pinky is elected instead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Egbert Souse posted:

Brain tries to run for President, but through some odd turns of events, Pinky is elected instead.

You were told to gently caress off, Og Oggilby.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i want them to bring back that old bitty squirrel lady that lipo-suctions a dudes fat out of his guts and sprays it onto his popcorn bag at the cinema

Slappy was the best character

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?
I hope they continue to slip in some oddball industry humor -- jokes about contracts, Variety, and Hollywood accounting (oh wait, that was Freakazoid). And they better do a bunch of catchy songs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
So we're finally getting episode 100?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LoonyLeif posted:

I hope they continue to slip in some oddball industry humor -- jokes about contracts, Variety, and Hollywood accounting (oh wait, that was Freakazoid). And they better do a bunch of catchy songs.
I'd bet another dollar that they'll do some sequel to the Nations of the World.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
loving lol. I’m an adult. I’m not gonna get excited about a cartoon coming back just to be reminded it actually kind of sucked

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
This reminds me of the episode of Pinky and the Brain where their plot was to make a highly successful kids show then dissappear at its hight of popularity by cryogenicly freezing themselves. The idea was in the future the kids would be adults and, because they loved the show and characters so much, gladly raise Pinky and The Brain to unquestioned dictators.

When they woke up in the future all they found were stunted baby-adults who couldn't function because of their obsession with a children's show.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

KillerJunglist posted:

This reminds me of the episode of Pinky and the Brain where their plot was to make a highly successful kids show then dissappear at its hight of popularity by cryogenicly freezing themselves. The idea was in the future the kids would be adults and, because they loved the show and characters so much, gladly raise Pinky and The Brain to unquestioned dictators.

When they woke up in the future all they found were stunted baby-adults who couldn't function because of their obsession with a children's show.

I remember Brain saying to Dolly Parton "Nature has been inordinately kind to you"

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
yakko and wakko will begin to say "hello n-" and dot will stop them in some humorous fashion because quite frankly that joke would be problematic in this day and age.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Lamebot posted:

yakko and wakko will begin to say "hello n-" and dot will stop them in some humorous fashion because quite frankly that joke would be problematic in this day and age.

The n word has been problematic for a lot longer than that, dude

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Wiki posted:

She states in Wakko's Wish that she has a "mean IQ of 192" (HellOOOOO Brain!). In later characterizations, she thinks that she is respected only for her looks and not her mind. However, in a song about her, both Wakko and Yakko seem to show that they greatly respect her for her mind, but also love her for her looks quite a lot too.

Hello N-word is a classy smart lady.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

The Bloop posted:

Would unashamedly watch the gently caress out of this.

Let's get dangerous, motherfuckers!

Gritty adult themed reboot:
I am the terror that faps in the night.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

yeah its great

my niece and nephew love it, it's fun to sit and watch with them. it's a lot like the comic, and Donald is actually a main character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSU82afy1w

You say this, and then link an opening sequence that is just horribly stale and sterile compared to anything it is pulling from. The cover of the theme song is uninspired pop-drivel that comes nowhere near the unbridled joy of the original. The animation is like something from a mid-2000s Newgrounds flash project and the scenes literally cribbed from Carl Barks have absolutely none of the charm, warmth or style of the originals.

I just don't believe it. I don't even have any particular hard-on for the original Duck Tales, this just presents as something that exists solely to exploit the nostalgia of people who grew up on that cartoon that now have children of their own.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you think the theme song is bad wait until you see the mark duckerberg character

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Blue Train posted:

If you think the theme song is bad wait until you see the mark duckerberg character

I'm fine with contemporary pop cultural references. It's not something these shows - Duck Tales, Animaniacs, etc - ever shied away from, and it makes sense because you are talking about a show for children who will be exposed tangentially to those cultural staples.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

facebook jihad posted:

loving lol. I’m an adult. I’m not gonna get excited about a cartoon coming back just to be reminded it actually kind of sucked

facebook jihad posted:

loving lol. I’m an adult.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

KillerJunglist posted:

This, and the "Please Get a Life Foundation" were the first potshots I recall a (kids) TV show taking at obsessed nerds. (Whereas something like Saved by the Bell would just have their "laugh at the nerds" gags be limited to featuring odd guys with high-pitched voices in sweaters and thick glasses.) If they were willing to take those shots back in the day, fingers crossed that they'd be willing to step up to the line and push a bit at today's world.

Along those lines:

yogizh posted:

Maybe this year won't suck as much.

When it was announced that Animaniacs was returning, my response to the one who first posted it on Twitter was that it'd be great to have the Warner siblings come back in an era of Trump and SJWs and safe spaces and give all of them a good tweaking. Going further on that, add in mass social media, kids who aspire to make careers out of being YouTube content makers (and what those makers are willing to do to get views), and all the rampant narcissism those two things enable and encourage...and so on. I'd say the worse the era gets, the better the comedy could be if the creatives are brave enough to get out there and take the relevant shots; Disney's crew took World War II and gave us Der Furher's Face. (Of course, Animaniacs itself did its own great stuff in the Clinton era of unprecedented peace and prosperity, so it could also be that going on-the-nose with the wilder aspects of our times will be kind of like when the recent Looney Tunes Show reboot had Bugs and Daffy dealing with cellphones and addictions to online shopping and freemium-grind mobile games: accurate humour and yet so very odd seeing those characters dealing with stuff like *that*.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I loved Animaniacs and Tiny Toons as a kid but tried watching both of them recently and they don’t hold up, not even in an “indulging in nostalgia” way. We remember them as being edgy and clever but as an adult you can clearly see how calculated the edginess really was. Pop culture/current event references as springboards for jokes or in place of jokes were major elements of both shows, which was fresh at the time but is obviously very tired now.

Also someone asked how the new Hey Arnold jungle movie was. I watched it and it’s... totally fine, but it does absolutely nothing to justify its existence. The upcoming Rocko’s Modern Life Film’s trailer is just a bunch of “lol smartphones” jokes so I wouldn’t count on it being anything more than more filler.

• Locked thread