Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

2008 cobalt 202k miles 2.2 ecotec

So for a good while I had a dreaded timing chain slap on cold start a second or two, and I decided to attempt changing to the newer and revised timing chain tensioner.

I changed the part out yesterday, the super ghetto take it out and put the new one in without opening up the valve cover way (it's -20c here). Initially I had no codes and I thought I had solved the problem - until I started hearing some unpleasant noises.

Upon further review I realized I should've made sure that the tensioner was released and doing it's job correctly. That involved me taking it out, and manually putting into the extended state. I re-installed and everything became beautifully quiet and wonderful. Then I got a p0016 code saying the cam/crank were out of sync.

From everything I read I anticipated it to run like a dog, or at least exhibit some symptom.

Except it didn't.. it runs great. I put it through it's paces and it seems perfectly fine to me.

I have an obd reader that gives me some info and the only thing that seems out is the alternator seems to be putting out 15 - 15.5 v which I find very odd.

Cliff notes:

New timing chain tensioner, throws a p0016 crank/cam out of correlation, but still runs fine but the voltage output from the alternator seems high 15.5v area... I'm confused!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat
If it's not out of time you will need to find someone with a oem/professional scan tool to perform a cam/crank correlation relearn procedure.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Clear the codes, see if they come back.

Also, low oil pressure, dirty oil, or a failed VVT solenoid will also cause that code if you have the VVT version of the 2.2. A 2008 may or may not have that engine, depending on the build date. Are there two plugs + solenoids on the valve cover right by the hump for the timing chain (in addition to the four ignition coils)?

Check the voltage with a multimeter, at the jump post under the hood (use one of the strut tower bolts for the ground). If it's really putting out 15+V, you're gonna murder batteries quickly. Might try checking voltage at the battery itself too.

I also need to replace the timing chain tensioner on my car (2006 Saturn Ion, 2.2 Ecotec). :sigh: Keep putting it off, but it's rattling on every cold startup and on a lot of warm startups now.

• Locked thread