Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i could go for a puzzle / adventure game right now, and i sort of remember hearing good things about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

People say it's the good one, so I assume it's cool. I'm not a puzzle gamer myself, other than Picross.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

yes. thread closed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's very cool and lots of content . Idk if you ever got around to playing The Witness but it you like one you'll like the other

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

It's a straight up quality game, worth a purchase. ;)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The indie puzzle game philosophy shtick is also decently done too instead of being a bunch of voice clips speaking profoundly at you.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
nice. i think i'll buy it. thanks folks.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The puzzles own and I honestly don’t remember a thing about the “plot” but if you like the witness style “wander around and find puzzles/secrets” then its great

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah puzzles are good and the story's interesting and well presented. better than the witness except for the fancy looks

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i'm not a huge fan of the way it looks artstyle-wise but i watched IT stream it a while back and the puzzles seemed really interesting. haven't played it meself but the consensus seems to be that its really good

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The speedrun of it is kind of epic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The only part that is kind of lame is the tetronimo puzzles but everything else is fun. I never played the DLC, but I've only heard good things. There's a super secret Cat Ending to hunt for as well

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The puzzles are fine but eventually devolve to Redirect this laser beam and hokd this button to open a door. The hidden star puzzles are cool too. Its not really like the witness at all in that regard. Half of the Witness is about deciphering the rules, talos is clear and direct, you just gotta figure out where to put the cube and the beam rsdirector etc.
I dont know philosophy so im an uncultured idiot homo, so take with a grain of salt, but i thought it was well done, the religious allegory didnt feel super trite, and the plot felt to me really depressing, which was cool.
I think its real good and worth the time

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I liked it a lot, probably about equal to The Witness with the witness having cooler visuals and more tricky puzzles but talos having a more engaging story

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Its good. Q.U.B.E. is also a decent portal-like that you can probably get on sale for a dollar

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i think one of the two writers who worked on the talos principle was also the guy who wrote the swapper which looking back makes a lot of sense

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's really pretty and fun so far. i like the puzzle set-up, with the various implements you use to trigger switches and such.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The Swapper is great and i'm sure it's dirt cheap now. Good puzzling

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
everyone has already come to the correct conclusion about talos (good), so i'm going to promote Recursed instead

play Recursed.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

extremely steampunk posted:

I liked it a lot, probably about equal to The Witness with the witness having cooler visuals and more tricky puzzles but talos having a more engaging story

I think the witness is gorgeous and probably deserves the win on looks but I really really like the greco-roman and egpytian sections of Talos. It's supremely peaceful and comfy environments to be doing puzzles in.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Sharkopath posted:

I think the witness is gorgeous and probably deserves the win on looks but I really really like the greco-roman and egpytian sections of Talos. It's supremely peaceful and comfy environments to be doing puzzles in.

Both games have really great environments. Talos won me over on the story because I liked the idea of robots arguing with each other about philosophies that were developed by humans

The "moments" that you have when playing the witness are truly great though. Cliche I know but it's one of those games I wish I could play again for the first time

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i liked the music in talos, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egY7Box349Y

Heavenly Clouds, Made of Words, False God. All of them real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like this game a lot. it's great to pop in, figure out a few puzzles, and then quit. so far the red dots have been the most challenging aspect, but figuring them out feels really good.

• Locked thread