Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i'm pretty sure it's from a monkey chant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hory poo poo PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Davincie posted:

hory poo poo PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

my exact reaction

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
What an intense episode.

I still don't feel like this mutual disdain between Majima and Juri has that much grounding. chill out grab a coffee you have all the time in the world

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phimose Knight posted:

What an intense episode.

I still don't feel like this mutual disdain between Majima and Juri has that much grounding. chill out grab a coffee you have all the time in the world

Majima blames Juri for the death of her family, if only because she's the only one Majima saw. I can understand how that hosed her up to the point of being irrationally angry at her and siding with the evil people. Juri has every right to be angry at Majima for aiding those fuckers in kidnapping her nephew and brother, and now kidnapping her nephew again.

It's a hella hosed up relationship and neither have gotten a chance or reason to rethink it.

That was an absolutely incredible episode btw. But man was that ending super sad. At the end of it all, Majima's father blames her so strongly that he wanted to kill her before he was ended.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 12, 2018

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

ViggyNash posted:

That was an absolutely incredible episode btw. But man was that ending super sad. At the end of it all, Majima's father blames her so strongly that he wanted to kill her before he was ended.

I see it as the opposite. He was lashing out at anyone around him since he was dying but recognized her at the last minute and pulled back.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

L-O-N posted:

I see it as the opposite. He was lashing out at anyone around him since he was dying but recognized her at the last minute and pulled back.

Yeah, he recognized her at the last minute and stopped. I think she even said something like that I mean Majima had absolutely nothing to do with the whole situation back then, she was the victim, same as the rest of her family. Her father blaming her for it makes no sense.

Interestingly enough, this might also offer alternate explanation for why Majima wasn't able to summon the Handlers. It was not that she was lacking killing intent, but the fact, that her family recognized her and refused to appear and punish her for it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I guess it works that way too.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, well this episode resolved one of the big conflicts in the story. I would say we are entering the finale, if there weren't still 5 or 6 episodes left.

I have no idea what happens next.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this ep felt kinda worse, quality wise? like the timing of everything was just a bit off and i felt like all the info dumping and the opening scene coulda been done better

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the dad is such a petty crook lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8vQGItDQK0

small doc on the production of the show. the first 10 minutes are just the hosts jacking off over themselves (as are the last few) but its good inbetween those times

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i guess the herald touching the girl in the first ep is the protagonist? maaaaybe majima. it has boobs and that's occam's razor now that we know there's a FORM FURTHER BEYOND AAAAHHHH! the question then is why blondie recognizes it

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I like the details like the Juri and gramps climbing down from that wall, and she just jumps off and lands and he stumbles and trips

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I didn't realize the Yukawa and Sagawa names were related until Juri mentioned it, so I did some research.

Sagawa: 佐河
Yukawa: 佑河

The 河 is a river. It may refer to an actual river or time. Maybe both.

sa and 佑 yuu are interesting. They have their origins in 左 left and 右 right. Two rivers on two sides.

Names often use slightly variant kanji, but in specific, left/right with the イ both mean aid or deliverance - but in slightly different ways. 佐, the left hand that holds tools (apparently?), represents material aid by effort. 佑, the right hand that holds instruments of prayer, represents aid from a divine hand.

It'd be surprising if the families weren't related, now that Juri has said it out loud.

Bonus: 間島 (Majima) is the island between.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Hah, I was thinking it might be 寒川 and 湯川 but I didn't think to look up how the names were actually written. That's interesting.

The dad somehow keeps getting worse. What a loser.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i love him

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Something that puzzles me (slightly): Tsubasa and Makoto were unfrozen when jellyfish from dead fellas squirmed into them, presumably because there's something about the Yukawa family, right? So how come older sister is still frozen?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

da beeper king BABY posted:

The dad somehow keeps getting worse. What a loser.

I came here to post this.

I like the dumb music that shows up everytime he's on screen now

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, I really like Sagawa's motivations and I love that Juri suggests that they just let him do it since it has nothing to do with them. The other guy instantly switching over was also great. This show has some clever bits of writing that you don't see very often.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i really don't know what is going on with this last episode

why did they help the hosed up baby man? or did they birth him just to murder him?

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
So that ended. I'm torn between hating the deus ex machina and being happy that Juri isn't stuck in there forever. Plus, it was giving me headaches working out how the world gets restarted (or even if it stopped at all) with her still in there. I'd like to see Juri and Grandpa again.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Finally caught up to this as it ended, I liked it. I think the ending (and last episode overall) was interesting enough to excuse the deus ex machina stuff and I'm happy we got a happy ending.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a fine ending since it made sense and explained a bunch of previously established mysteries.

Good show.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yo, this was probably my favourite anime of the season. I loved how strangely low-key it was, the fact that every character had clear, understandable motivations, and acted as reasonably as they could have, given what information they had. There was never a point where I was like "why are you doing that, you idiot!" which is a rarity in anime. At the same time, it's not like anyone was infallible, and I liked the fact that even the sinister antagonist faction was uncoordinated and prone to schisms.

I also think that setting the entire show in, effectively, only three or four locations gave it a real sense of place.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

superLINUS posted:

So that ended. I'm torn between hating the deus ex machina and being happy that Juri isn't stuck in there forever. Plus, it was giving me headaches working out how the world gets restarted (or even if it stopped at all) with her still in there. I'd like to see Juri and Grandpa again.

The world doesn't stop, they just become really sped up.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Yo, I'd just like to chime in and say that I really enjoyed this little gem of a show, this was nuts and I liked how much fun they were obviously having with the premise

Especially Juri slowly going insane in the final ep. That might just be my favorite bit from the show.

'kay thx for reading

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
It's all a close adaptation of the manga, just with a way better artsyle, and it being an animated medium about frozen time rather than a manga already makes it the semi-definitive way to experience it.

That and COMING IN COMING OUT

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
This was a weird rear end show, but not bad. In a show about time being stopped that ending makes a lot of sense: they end up where they began in some ways.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show struggled a bit to close out, both in animation QUALITY and Act III conflict resolution, but fun show nevertheless.

Also I'm way more a fan of the ED song and thought the OP was overrated.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

I would have preferred more time was spent explaining the fish and the founder and specters.

Anyone know what this says?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thanks for watching, its appreciated

something in that vein

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I got pretty behind on last season so I just now finished this, but what the hell was with those last two episodes? I saw someone say this was a pretty faithful adaptation, was the plot for the ending the same in the source material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

I got pretty behind on last season so I just now finished this, but what the hell was with those last two episodes? I saw someone say this was a pretty faithful adaptation, was the plot for the ending the same in the source material?

Identical.

• Locked thread