Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'm looking at buying an 86 (BRZ) that's about 450 miles away. The car has a bad throwout bearing, and is priced accordingly.

I own a truck and trailer - but the route is SO simple that I'm tempted to fly n drive. The guy is 2 miles off the highway, and I'd be driving ALL highway until the moment I'd park it where I have a lift to pull the trans. I'd have to stop one time for gas along the turnpike, which is the only time I'd be using the clutch (to get moving), then rev-match my way to highway speed.

Route is basically: 2 miles to highway, 450 miles on highway, 1 mile to lift.

Tell me if this is a bad idea. The bearing has a solid squeal to it at idle, but the noise goes away when it's in gear/driving.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd drive it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Drive that poo poo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Drive it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Drive, it is just the thrust bearing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even if it goes completely, you should be able to start it in gear and float em.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Powershift posted:

Even if it goes completely, you should be able to start it in gear and float em.

That's what I've done in the past. Not sure if I can trip a clutch start switch with a push-button start.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Blaise posted:

That's what I've done in the past. Not sure if I can trip a clutch start switch with a push-button start.
Hydraulic clutch? Crack the bleeder so you can push the pedal anyway.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Hydraulic clutch? Crack the bleeder so you can push the pedal anyway.

This was actually the idea.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Is it really so bad you can't even work the clutch or does it just squeak sometimes?

Squeaking TOBs seem to be kind of common on the push-clutch subarus. I'm not sure it's even because the TOBs go bad. It's just that when the clutch isn't pushed down the bearing is sitting there just barely in touch with the pressure plate but not enough to spin the bearing.

Also while it's apart put in one of those fancy billet clutch forks (velox or verus). They break sometimes.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'll be running a stock clutch so stock clutch fork it is.

TO bearing squeals at idle, squeals with clutch in. No noise clutch out in gear. Revs drop with clutch in/1st gear so probably some clutch drag as well due to the failure.

Car is driveable as is.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Blaise posted:

I'll be running a stock clutch so stock clutch fork it is.

TO bearing squeals at idle, squeals with clutch in. No noise clutch out in gear. Revs drop with clutch in/1st gear so probably some clutch drag as well due to the failure.

Car is driveable as is.
Ignore it. Crank the rock and drive it anyway.

• Locked thread