Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all valves stuff is wonky and often cpu-bound though, as long as it is within 25% it's mostly fine

open vulkan drivers would be a great good though, as convenient as the nvidia driver is i'll admit that there is good to be derived from an open and less complex, even if worse, stack existing. it's good if the tower of idiosyncratic micro-optimizations that "proper" drivers consist of doesn't get to remain a decisive competitive advantage forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

all valves stuff is wonky and often cpu-bound though, as long as it is within 25% it's mostly fine

open vulkan drivers would be a great good though, as convenient as the nvidia driver is i'll admit that there is good to be derived from an open and less complex, even if worse, stack existing. it's good if the tower of idiosyncratic micro-optimizations that "proper" drivers consist of doesn't get to remain a decisive competitive advantage forever

amd recently opened their official vulkan driver stack too, from their cross-platform vulkan implementation all the way down to their platform abstraction layer, albeit with the windows stuff removed for legal reasons.

unfortunately this means that there are now two open drivers with each one focusing on different feature sets and there is likely going to be a lot of duplicated effort on both sides before they are at parity.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 20, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so we’re not even pretending wine is for anything other than vidya games anymore?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

so we’re not even pretending wine is for anything other than vidya games anymore?

windows is for video games, wine is for running the once in a blue moon nonstandard self-extracting archive

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
wine used to be about running Spotify and playing video games but Spotify is a web app now so it doesn't need wine anymore

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ya, it was a happy day when the web spotify launched, as it was the classic wine situation where it *worked*, but was so clunky and weird in random ways (notably wine and pulseaudio hated each other a lot at that point, i think the esd emulation was the only path reliable?)

that sort of thing is why wine really doesn't matter that much anymore, most such things are now all web, and linux is simultaneously better off, and along with everything else, worse off

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

audio struggles on linux? :eyepop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why are you running spotify on your server anyway

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
late night pbx raves

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to modulate the fan rpms to play "welcome to the jungle" when someone enters the data center

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

Codeweavers, the company, exists because there are actually people out there trying to run Windows programs on Linux and Mac, so I guess its use case exists but it's a niche.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

oppan vulkan style

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

The Management posted:

I haven’t used wine in like a decade. does it still render standard windows controls like garbage and half the time they don’t work right?

No that's citrix

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Endless Mike posted:

why are you running spotify anyway

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i use wine to run lightroom and it mostly works great except sometimes tooltips stay on the screen and don't go away

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hasn't spotify had a qt4 based player for ages? before the web player thingie arrived

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

hasn't spotify had a qt4 based player for ages? before the web player thingie arrived

yes, but their linux fat client just uses qt4 to render web poo poo.

(to be fair, that is also how the windows client works internally)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i've been a spotify subscriber for like five or six years because they were the first streaming service to fully support linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

I havent used wine in like a decade. does it still render standard windows controls like garbage and half the time they dont work right?

that's everything in linux UIs

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've been a spotify subscriber for like five or six years because they were the first streaming service to fully support linux

same but because i forget to cancel it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol @ paying for media in tool 2010 or later

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

NEED MORE MILK posted:

eh no, it’s worth paying for convenience. Spotify is an easy way to just download music to your iPhone without dealing with iTunes, and connecting to or switching between different output devices is easy (and it’s nbd to strip drm if you want). streaming has superseded most of my torrenting, Hell most of my piracy these days is streaming as well

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pram posted:

same but because i forget to cancel it

gently caress now i understand what that alarm was

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, but their linux fat client just uses qt4 to render web poo poo.

(to be fair, that is also how the windows client works internally)

also it never updated to the lovely new ui that had features removed

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NEED MORE MILK posted:

spotify is unironically better than piracy

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Me, in 2005 tool and later: I really like that song, let me install a torrent client and open up pirate bay and then download [Mp3k1ng].[albumname].192KB.CDRiP.torrent and untar and then copy that into my winamp playlist and then play my song

Me, today: I really like that song, let me just click on it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

napster era piracy was sweet, with a fast connection it wasn't that far from feeling like a free spotify in 2000, but just about everything after that was and is a pain. paying for streaming music is one of my few truly no-brainer bills

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

napster era piracy was sweet, with a fast connection it wasn't that far from feeling like a free spotify in 2000

it was still pretty bad. poo poo was routinely mislabeled and you had to manage id3 tags and puzzle out which version of an album you got and poo poo

it was a novelty at the time but it wasn't great.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

napster's thing where clicking the close button didn't actually close it brought so many networks to their knees...

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was still pretty bad. poo poo was routinely mislabeled and you had to manage id3 tags and puzzle out which version of an album you got and poo poo

nbsd was right

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

to modulate the fan rpms to play "welcome to the jungle" when someone enters the data center

yo i want this

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Napster was cool for the one semester I got to use it on a university network before it shut down. Kazaa was cool for the remaining three and then I moved off campus and had cable and BitTorrent became a thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

actually my timeline is off there I think. I moved from Kazaa to direct connect.

rip(?) sadchub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/pirated-1999-files/

• Locked thread